DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Also, I have chemipure and filter floss but not in any chambers, should i pop this stuff in now or no?
sorry everyone but i feel like everything I read is still not helping me, i may suffer from dumb reefing

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
NEW PARAMETERS as of 6 pm Wednesday evening
Salinity 1.024
pH 8.0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = o
Nitrate = 0
Temp. 79.3

Huge amounts of growth on the rock, brown and some green as well as red

NOW WHAT ?
Been one week total with the rock purchased cured, mostly nutri sea water and live sand????

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I am a bit confused as to all the various info I have been getting on the boards. Some say add some CUC now, some say wait, some say add the chemipure some say dont. Some even say start adding frags?

Anyone have some solid advice. I have been listening to you guys and gals on here so just wanted to know if I really should wait one month before adding CUC ?
I mean as you can see from my posts I am lacking patience but know its the most important part of this game so I am trying

Thanks for the help everyone

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I think the real answer is that there are no shortcuts. Just drop your sand and rock and walk away for a while. Test it once a week and when your water quality is at the desirable levels then start considering adding live stock....slowly. Dont add a full blown reef in a day because you highly risk crashing the same tank you just waited a month to setup with goodies. Why wait another month. With this hobby, the term speed kills is sooo true. As for chemipure, I think its useless. If your using RO/DI water then why are using the chemipure to filter out dissolved organics, thats why you bought a skimmer. Its supposed to maintain a proper pH but so do regular weekly water changes. And why would you want chemipure to remove ammonia when its ammonia you need to begin your tank cycle. Just walk away and leave it alone. When you have no ammonia and no nitrite and your nitrates are 0 or dectable and those levels hold stable then you can do whatever you want. Right now I think your at the point where you can add snails and hermits, stop there and allow the nitrogen cycle to adjust for the new life. When its adjusts, monitor your parameters for a bit and then add again. Because you have a nano you risk crashing it faster then a larger tank.

What is CUC?

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Some new members

hey everyone,
So I went to NY Aquarium on 57th between 10th and 11th and let me tell you the coral selection was INSANE. Real nice place and good prices

So i bought 4 hermits and 8 snails as well as 4 small frags
added them and everyone is appearing happy. See how it goes and test parameters tomm

Attachments

• -Device Memory-home-user-pictures-IMG00204.jpg
    -Device Memory-home-user-pictures-IMG00204.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 325
  • -Device Memory-home-user-pictures-IMG00205.jpg
    -Device Memory-home-user-pictures-IMG00205.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 325

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Great new additions

So I added some frags (thank you Josh) and everything is looking great. Here are two pics (plan on gettin tripod today and using Canon Powershot S3) from my cell phone of a few of them. I left out the Anthelia in the back corner of thank so it can eventually climb up the tank.
Tested water today around 11:40 AM
pH 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.028 (will try dec. a bit)

Comments welcome everyone

Attachments

• -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00210.jpg
    -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00210.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 302
  • -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00211.jpg
    -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00211.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 301

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Livestock

So just wanted to share a picture of my new fish. Picked them up earlier this week at Wonderful World of Fish. Australian Black Clowns, larger one is female i was told and smaller guy is the male???
So, they are doing great. They swim in the front all day and hang together.

Love them

Matt

Attachments

• -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00216.jpg
    -Media Card-BlackBerry-pictures-IMG00216.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 327

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
New Pictures

Hey Everyone,
So my tank is doing well so far. Last week I added the two black australian ocellaris from Wonderful World of Fish and they took great. I have noticed that since yesterday the smaller male has been acting a bit strange and not with the female as much so keeping an eye on him. I also added 6 blue legs hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp and 6 Nassirus snails. All is happy.
Tested water today and everything seems to be doing well. Calcium 400 ppm, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all 0. PH 8.1 and salinity 1.026
Added my koralia 1 today so seeing how everything takes

here are some pics which i think came out decent!

Matt

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 314
  • frag1.JPG
    frag1.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 315

Bklynreefdude

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DrCooper:

I'm new to the forum and noticed your thread. I'm in Soho too. I'm also glad you liked NY Aquarium Supply. Haven't made it over there yet, maybe Monday.

Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: