rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I created this thread to replace my previous thread, as it had bad photo links, and many other problems.
I ask that no one ask me what things cost on this thread. If you are curious you can PM me.
Oceanic Tech Series: (120 gl) Starfire front glass..48"x24"x24"

I will periodicly add new photographs, whenever I have some free time, and the required motivation.

I will have only about 130 lbs of Live sand, and about 80 lbs of Rock, so I have included a very powerful skimmer, hoping to over skim to make up for the lack of LR & LS.

The sump is custom 37 gl(25 gallons of water, 12 gallons incase of return problems), with a 5 gl RO/DI Auto Top-off tank. Auto Doser for ESV 2 Part.

Deltec Turbo 1060S
Return is a Poseidon PS4 External Pump(1,080 GPH)

Maristar: 2x250W HQI MH & 2-54W T5 Actinics Bulbs

2x Generation 2 Vortech(up to 3,000 GPH each) w/1 Battery Back-up(Just for 1 Vortech incase of power lose) up to 30 hours of run time.

1 Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Pump 6045(1,200 GPH) w/ Tunze NanoStream Rock
1 Tunze Turbelle? Stream 2 Pump 6065(1,700 GPH)
4,000 GPH of return/tunze......up to 6,000 GPH of Vortech=up to 10,000 GPH

American Marine Temp Controller: I will be running several fans and a 400 watt heater

EMPTY TANK SHOT:
IMG_0071.jpg

SUMP SHOTS:
IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

Side View:
IMG_0261.jpg

SKIMMER:
IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Really nice setup! Should work well.

I don't think your overflow will keep up with your GRI return pump. In my 120 I had a GRI 520 return that a 1 1/2" overflow couldn't keep up with. Also the GRI pump added a lot of heat to my tank. When I switched my external pressure pump for an Eheim 1260, my temp dropped 2 degrees and the chiller hardly ever came on (even with 400w halides).

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Jackson: I have 3 overflows, to compensate for the strong GRI return. and the GRI is external, will it still add heat?
Also, my apt has central air, which I keep at 71 at all times. I also have a 4" computer fan installed in the rear of the stand to bring in "fresh" air, and the big white fan that you can see in the pics to circulate the air in the stand.

Melt: The rug near the tank is about 2' from the stand, and I can fold it back if needed when I do water changes, etc....the black rubber under the sump is to reduce noise.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I can't wait to see it with water in it.

I have 1 vortech and a maxijet, I'd love to get a second vortech but want to see how the flow works on your tank first.

What ballast are you using for the lights?

How do you have three overflows? Mine only has 2.

Also, the external pump will add heat if you have to dial it back with the ball valve. My first one was way too loud and hot with the valve half opened.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I am filling today...but I discovered a leak in the return(but water from the overflow was dripping through the return, so I now need to work on that) Tank should be filled on monday with salt and sand

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
The GRI had a problem...it was way to loud, I am sending it back to marinedepot, and they are overnighting a new, and smaller, pump to me. Im going w/ a 1200GPH pump instead(The sump was filling up to much). I had the valves shut to off when I wasnt using the GRI return, I opened them up when I turned the pump on.

My sump was designed to handle any and all overflow water from main display incase of power failure...so I dont think I need water alerts, but I think I wil be getting 2 just to have in the stand. Why not right?

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
the more safety the better sleep at night.. or when out..as a reefer it alway cross your mind if what _____ , why me, if i did know..

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I know the tank is empty...but this is my first Night Tiime Shot
Water is still cloudy from sand, but you get the idea.
I mounted 1 blue LED strip(6 LED's) on each end of the tank(12 LED's in total). As you can see, ther is a distinct Blue line coming from each strip, but the tank as a whole gets fairly blue. It looks blue'er in person.
As a few people have asked about the LED's, Here is a link: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...w~idProduct~EC5111~idCategory~FILTFILDSB.html

IMG_0283.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: