tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I am Tunicata/ Ms. R/Ms. Romney. I started teaching in Newark, NJ last fall. I am stationed at East Side High School in Newark, NJ (Ironbound section, which is just minutes off of the Path Train). I teach biology, environmental science, and earth science. Last spring semester I set up a 20g marine tank in my classroom. It was a hit! The kids loved it, I made personal donations towards it, plus had donations of goods as personal donations from 2 other reef clubs and vendors (njreefers, r**ferscafe, Aquatic Obsessions and reefcleaners.org! Great places and great people!)

This semester, now in my second year of teaching, we have some new opportunities. I unfortunately teach in 3 different classrooms which makes it near impossible to set up a tank within one class as it is then shared by 3 other teachers and consequently 75 children I do not know. But I have been granted permission to put a tank in the school's main lobby. This tank is on security camera and right in front of the security guards office.

Since this is a place of high traffic (We are also a voting center), I figured instead of a 20g tank like we had last year, I would find a bigger tank.

I found a 55g tank. It is now going on its third week running. <O:p

We have many items left over from last year but some things need to be upgraded like:
Lights, more sand, more rock, more stock, HOB skimmer, HOB fuge.
Essentially, just things for the size upgrade. The tank will be sumpless, just like last semester, and just like my personal tank at home and many tanks on this board.

I am trying to get in talks with my supervisors to see if there are any concrete funds available from the school, and also if they would give us permission to fundraise (we are not a club, I don't think they even looked at my proposal for one..., but I have teaching and now going to grad school, so I'm ok with just doing it during my classes).

But the students are excited. We're using the coralidea link, some marine husbandry books, and slides from my tank build, as well as visiting websites such as MR to see and learn about our potential critters. The students are linking the tank to marine sustainability issues, learning basic chemistry, biology, and of course how to set up and maintain this particular type of marine tank. During the semester as the children learn more, they will be responsible for doing presentations to other classes. Our goals are educational for ourselves and our community.

We are more than open for having members come to the school to do presentations. We also are open to field trips (months in advance).

If you have something you would like to give, please check out our wishlist. Items not on this list can be considered. Please remember we will be sumpless, this is a 55g tank, we prefer to keep it a softy and low need LPS tank. We can feed frozen and flake food. We are harvesting pods (within main tank as well) and brine shrimp in the old 20g tank. <O:p

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Here are some pictures of our tank last semester. This was a 20g tank with crushed coral substrate. Everything was donated by fellow reefers, vendors, self, and even a reefer in MD!

I set it up with the students, had them do most of the work. We had students and teachers and staff popping in throughout the semester to see it.

The beginnings!
RomneyClassPic.jpg

Student adding the water
schooltank.jpg

One picture of what it looked like
neardoneFORNOW.jpg

Water chemistry analysis!!!
waterquality1.jpg

Showing/explaining the hydrometer
medoingsomethin4thekids.jpg

After I modeled appropriate acclimation, student performs this action for a critter
acclimation1.jpg

More students doing the acclimation process themselves after teacher lesson/modeling
P3080295.jpg

They are so attentive. Some times I have to do some serious coaxing to get them to get on with our other projects/subjects
meexplainingsomethingkidsgettingbet.jpg

I will have some shots from the current tank in the lobby. I've been bad and keep forgetting to take shots of us setting it up.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
WishList:
Current
40lbs of fine sand (sand that will be good for gobies)
20lbs of base rock (not large pieces, we will create a few caves and arches)<O:p</O:p
MagFloat<O:p</O:p
2 Koralia 2 or Maxijet 900 powerheads
4 FT Lighting system T5 is just fine. If in a canopy that is also fine/even better
We could use a hangon skimmer

In 3-4 wks we should be able to start collecting/adding:
(the tank was started with LR/LS and water from last years tank, and my own personal established tank<O:p</O:p
Soft Corals/Easy LPS (we have 2 heads of frogspawn, 1 rock with about 6 purple mushrooms, 1 patch of brown polyps, 1 patch of yellow polyps<O:p</O:p
Hippo Tang<O:p</O:p
Clown fish (we have 1 that survived from last semester, he is a small true percula less than 2inches, he should have a friend)<O:p</O:p
Cleaner shrimp<O:p</O:p
Blue Chromis (3?)<O:p</O:p
Chaeto and Pods

After our Pod culture boosts: Mandarin fish
<O:p</O:p
We are going to put in an order with John from Reefcleaners since his site has educational discounts for a cleaning crew package (he gave us an urchin last year!)

But we'd also like a Blue Linkia Star Fish and a cucumber that is compatible (the students LOVE the random starfish and also want a bigger, and prettier star).

We will constantly update the thread on what stock we have so that folks can be aware of compatibility issues as they consider possible donations.

(If we get a fixture that sits on top of the tank, perhaps I can work out with the Shop instructor a plan to build a canopy for the tank/light combo and get computer fans installed and vents for air passage. This will help deter random people from...disturbing the tank). The shop instructor should be able to modify any canopies to fit our hang on equipment.
Letters can be given on school letterhead for those who wish to make a charitable donation and have documentation for tax purposes. It is a public school.<O:p</O:p
This year we should not have a heating issue. Towards the end of the spring the room reached over 100 degrees. Many of our critters died one long weekend when someone closed all of the windows, and doors, and the power to the mini fan failed. Fortunately, the school lobby is a stable airconditioned environment.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey there,
It's still going pretty well. We've both reordered and received snail donations from ReefCleaners, and ordered fish from two different locations (will stop buying from one of them as the livestock are never in good condition/DOA).

This year I have a Marine Biology Club and we're going to go to the Frag Swap/Conference this Dec. 9th. So far we have 10members and I should be able to get 3 adults as chaperones. This is awesome as MR is donating the tickets to the students!!! The students are totally pscyhed and they are going to make a video and a zine to document their experience (labs, conferences, trips to aquariums, and fish stores) in the club.

We're also going to install a sump on the tank. Since I upgraded from the 20g in my classroom to the 55g in the lobby I'll use the 20g as the sump. I just need to get the baffles which I can only do on the weekends. We're going to test out my old CPR overflow kit and see if it works.
This year we are also going to upgrade the protein skimmer, and install my old Phoshate Remover (Two little fish, if I can find it).

We're branching out from marine to freshwater as well. There is a freshwater tank in the lobby (2) and the teacher that put it there no longer wants to/takes care of it. So, in order to be humane to the fish and just make it look good again we will maintain those.

I was asked today actually to help set up 3 other tanks in the lobby/around the school. We found 3 tanks (uncared for since last June) that we have to clean out. They have (2 of 3) canister filters we can use for freshwater fish. I also wanted to keep an eel. We'll flesh out the ideas and see what is realistic.

A big trip we want to do is visit the Aquarium in Baltimore. I remember reading here that it's a top favorite, so I want to check it out and let the students check it out.

Oh, also, it's Mr. Romney now :)
I unfortunately, cannot edit the first post :(

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
HeyTuni! Send me a PM when you get a chance I can donate some equipment. ALso, is this the same school from the MOvie "Lean on me"? :tongue1:

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Very Sweet Tuni!!! I wasn't sure if this was still happening for you. My project with the elementary school kids is still on-going as well and we too are upgrading the tank in the lobby and will also ( I think) have a group attending the swap. Maybe your HS kids can interview the elementary school kids :)

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Really cool Tunicata and Pratt. I think classroom tanks are very important to classrooms when being either assisted or kept by knowledgeable fishkeepers because it teaches that fish are just as important pet wise as a cat or a dog. Too many folks out there bestow the pass down the mentality of "oh its just a fish so whatever" attitude. Plus is a great ecologically lesson as well. Great work guys.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thats great news!

Is that wishlist still effective? I only have frags of xenia in my tank at the moment and would love to donate it to your project if want it. the problem is that they're prolific growers.

I recommend you posting a wishlist on the 2009 Fall Fragswap forum and briefly describe what you're doing. I'm sure you'll garner more attention and hopefully, more donations.

see you at the swap

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Lol @ Dec. 9th. Sorry.

Sweet, thanks a bunch folks. I will post a wish list, and will PM Quang and Josh about frags. Prolific growers are fine! Over the summer while I was away in Maine for a week or so a well meaning guard unplugged the lights! We had a problem before where folks kept turning the lights on for the weekend and afterschool programs...so his heart was in the right place...but then corals died....

Also, Pratt, I will ask the students about the interview/meet with the middle school students. It just so happens that about half of my students are seniors so it would be a good reflection tool.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey there,
Does any one know how to remold acrylic tanks??

I have a sump from my old set up but it has a leak. I've tried to patch it up first using the silicone, then bought the stuff you're SUPPOSED to use on acrylic but never used it because I thought I'd remelt it wrong.

If any one has the skills/time to do this let me know!

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Hey, how's it going Tunicata?? Caught this thread late.. All the pods you need, on me just try to set up a time to drop by.. Or maybe someone going into the city from Staten Island can meet up with you.. Great thing and if I had the time I'd build a stand and canopy free.. I'll see how my scedule works out for the month of November and give you a call next week.. Anything for the kids in my modo,,lol..

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Dude J900 that would be terrific! Would you like to come to the school?
I ordered a yellow tang just last week and it arrived DOA (it's frozen in our refridgerator for further inspection!) so this is a funny "coincidence."

I'll pm you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: