Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
My 5g MB and future 200g

I have a 5g MB nano softie tank with nothing but a few zoa colonies and some white xenia.

I am going to be scrapping that soon and putting in a 200g corner bow front FOWLR predator fish tank. Haven't got all the plans worked out, but I found the tank and am in love! Mahogany stand and canopy. Will put in 2x 400w halides in, it has 2 built in overflows in the back, and the stand has room setup for a sump and skimmer.

Any fish suggestions, or equipment ideas would be nice. I'll see if I can get a pic of it and upload it here. It is a gorgeous tank.

Gurly
Old 10-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Reefer Ratings: (111 (100%)
Friends: (44)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
800w is alot of light for a FOWLR. I'd sell it for some PCs and spend the money on filter equipment.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
Like Dean said save your money on the light as this is a fish tank and not a reef tank. Take that this is going to be a fish tank into account and get the equipment that you would need for it and not treat it as a reef tank.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
welcome to Manhattan Reefs!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:03 PM
SPS KILLER
Reefer Ratings: (96 (99%)
Friends: (30)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View jackson6745's Twitter Profile
Gurly my advice to you would be to get the best skimmer that you can afford for your tank so waste doesn't become an issue. I am a big fan of beckett skimmers because they are so powerful but you can get an easy to setup needlewheel skimmer like a euroreef or ASM and that would be fine also.

Anyway, welcome to MR!

Jackson's 115G SPS Cube
Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Send a Private Message
the reason i wanted the light was in case i decide to not do fish down the line, i can just take them out and add corals. i will be going with a good skimmer so that no changes need to be made in the future in case i change my mind. The tank setup i have listed seems like the more versatile for what ever mood strikes me. It is a very tall tank, so if i go for a reef tank i will need good penetration, lots of light, and once it is set up, never to touch it again or i'll need a snorkle set.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Send a Private Message
Thanks for the welcomes. I have been here for a while, just decided to jump in.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745
I am a big fan of beckett skimmers because they are so powerful
Hmmmmmmm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meschaefer View Post
Your first amendment right, only applies to goverment action. I.E. the moderators of a forum such as this wich is not run by or overtly funded by the government have the right to censor what they like and prohibit any and all speech.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Hey Gurly! Welcome to MR. Just curious - what are the dimensions of the 200 corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meschaefer View Post
Your first amendment right, only applies to goverment action. I.E. the moderators of a forum such as this wich is not run by or overtly funded by the government have the right to censor what they like and prohibit any and all speech.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Send a Private Message
I am not sure, but I will be getting the dimensions when I go back to take the picture. Its really nice. Has a very deep bow in the front.