DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
More detail to come later, but this is to force me to get this thread started :lol2:

For those interested in the details of how I built this tank, check here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183788

Specs:

Start date: Feb. 1 2009
9g custom starfire display w/ foam rock wall
10g fuge w/ sealife inc. rocks
aquac remora w/ mj1200
150w mh w/ 14k phoenix bulb
reefcleaners.org cuc w/ dwarf ceriths, ceriths, periwinkles, limpts, and a chiton
various hitchhikers - baby pencil urchin, feather dusters, baby chiton, porites

Just a few teaser shots:

Fuge (yeah yeah, I know I need to get the mangroves above water - doing that when I get home):
003-1.jpg

FTS (this was before I raised the overflow and subsequently the water level):
FTS3_13_09.jpg

Some hitchhiker/cuc shots:

056.jpg

050.jpg

018.jpg

003-2.jpg

039.jpg

Last edited:

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Last pic is two feather dusters - I laughed when one was FSU team colors...I don't like FSU :)

The background for the display is actually a foam rock wall I built using eggcrate, great stuff foam, epoxy, sand, and rocks. You can see more detail in the build link in the first post.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
More on this tank:

The purpose of this tank is to focus on mutual and commensal symbiotic relationships. I plan to have a goby/pistol shrimp pair, sexy shrimp with ricordias or mini carpet nems, a small christmas tree worm rock, and perhaps a small acropora crab. Corals will be primarily SPS with some zoas/rics for color value.

New FTS (3/30/09)

006-1.jpg

Also, anyone know how to change the title that is displayed in the forum lists? I misspelled "Symbiotic" and need to fix it.

Last edited:

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
thanks! and not yet. I don't have a fish yet so no need to keep things from jumping. it's still definitely on my list of things to do though. thanks for the link!

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Update!

I'll be moving apartments at the end of June so I've held off on doing much with the tank until then. Some quick update pics:

536618698_BPzcW-L.jpg

536618141_rPDvZ-L.jpg

546107885_vLC4k-L.jpg

Sir Gawain

546105920_7xJs7-L.jpg

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Tank is coming along so nicely!!! :D Love that rock wall ... seriously it's probably the only one I have seen that actually looks like a rock wall! LOve it!!! :lol_large

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Before and After FTS of my bryopsis problem. Magnesium and Sir Gawain the emerald crab to mop up the dieoff did the trick!

IMG_0688.jpg

536614896_Hxprm-L.jpg

Also, check out my killer Paint skillz with my new display fuge tank design I'll be building. I'm thinking a FL Gulf biotope.

newstand.jpg

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Awesome paint skillz yo!!! Now paint the Mona Lisa ... Thank you in advance. ;) My small outbreak of bryopsis is disappearing from my overflow box ... and I didn't do anything for it ... lol ... beats me on that one. :D

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yeah, it's a total mystery algae. I've still got some that grows in the fuge occasionally. Never on the rocks though. Always on the glass. So weird.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: