LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great tank! Welcome to MR and to NYC.

If you get a little homesick, some of my Swedish friends congregate here every summer:

Swedish Midsummer Festival
Fri, Jun 20
5–8pm
Robert F. Wagner Jr. Park
Minnesotan fiddler Paul Dahlin shares classic Nordic tunes, while the Swedish Folkdancers of New York perform jigs from the homeland at this solstice celebration.

If you become nostalgic for tank cleaning, I live very near the festival ;-)

Wassberg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again NYC. Sorry for the late answer but I have been skiing over the weekend, and no internet.

Thank you for all your nice comments! :splitspin
I will try to answer your questions.

I had some salt aquariums many years ago, with dead white corals and some fishes. Some years ago I saw a really nice reef tank with colorful corals, and decided to start over again. I do not regret that. I did a lot of research and reading before I planned this tank. I wanted a clean setup with all the equipment hidden, and technique that would facilitate to run a reef tank. My focus is corals with a lot of fishes. As many species and colors as possible.

Technique:
The main tank is optical white glass, 12 mm thick. 160 x 75 x 65 cm (lwh).
Live rock approx 130 kg, and live sand 4-5 cm.
Circulation with some Tunze streams with single controllers hidden behind the reef.
Lighting: MH 2 x 250W 14500K 8 hrs, T5 4 x 54W blue actinic 12 hrs.
The sump. From left:
A filter with phosphate absorber (Rowaphos) and activated carbon, changed monthly. A nitrate filter with sulphur, to keep nitrate levels low despite a lot of fishes. A skimmer (AquaCare) fed with a very low dose of ozone, to keep the water crystal clear.
I also have some bulky equipment in the room behind the tank:
A turbo chalk reactor (AquaCare) with automatic control of CO2, filled with 90% calcium and 10% magnesium granulate. To maintain KH, Ca, and Mg. UV 2 x 40W, in a closed loop from the bottom of the reef. Keep my tangs healthy. Finally a chiller used during the summer.

I change 15-20% of the water every second to third week. I use reverse osmosis and keep the water in the basement. Water change is done easy with separate plumbing. Weekly I add strontium, iodine and amino acids (CombiSan). Now and then I add some bacteria. I feed the corals twice a week at night with cyclops, zoo/phytoplancton. I clean the front glass when needed. The back wall once a week. There is space behind the reef. The other equipment needs little maintenance. I think that?s all.

Chemistry: Salt 1.0245, temp 25-26 Celsius, pH 7.8-8.0, KH 9-10, Ca 420, Mg 1400, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0.

I hope I have given you some answers, otherwise just ask.
And again thank you for your response!
Best regards,
Erik

Wassberg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the room behind the tank/basement ...

Left: UV, CO2, chiller.
Right: Reverse osmosis, chalk reactor.

Attachments

• K?llare1.jpg
    K?llare1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 218
  • K?llare2.jpg
    K?llare2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 219

Wassberg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 2009

Some new pics from today. The tank is still filled with water for a few more weeks.

/Erik

Attachments

• Maj1.JPG
    Maj1.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Maj2.JPG
    Maj2.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Maj3.JPG
    Maj3.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Maj4.JPG
    Maj4.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Maj5.JPG
    Maj5.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Maj6.JPG
    Maj6.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Maj7.JPG
    Maj7.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Maj8.JPG
    Maj8.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 192

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What a beautiful reef. Its a shame it has to be taken down. I've noticed that European setups tend to be very crisp and clean, especially the accessory furniture and the equipment setup.

Wassberg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for your kind response!

Yes, it is sad to break down the tank. I do like mature tanks, and my tank is a bit more than a year old, and I feel that I?m only at the beginning ... My impression is also that it is more stable now, and the corals are better in colors for every month. But NYC is NYC, and I do look forward not only to live there, but I also hope I can visit some of you, to share your knowledge. I have seen many nice reefs here at MR !!! I will also use the time to plan for some minor changes. See you!

/Erik :party:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: