ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I would like to share my build from a 90 to a 215 gallon. My current tank no longer looks like a display tank anymore. Its more of a holding/frag tank for my 215. This will be a slow build as I also have to attend a 3 and a 1 year old. Below is the plans I drew up to follow (I hope).

210Design-2.jpg

This is how I would like my sump area to look like.

SumpLayout.jpg

Here is my 215 Gallon Oceanic tank with Starfire front pane. Its currently in the garage surrounded by junk.

210Tank.jpg

Here is a 100 gallon tub filled with over 200lbs of Marco rock. The skimmer is a Royal Exclusive Vertex Alpha 250. I would like to start the Brightwell products while the rocks are in the tub, but I would like to take out the rocks and Aquascape on the ground, instead of in the tank. I'm afraid that the bacteria will die while i'm aquascaping.

SkimmerRock.jpg

For lighting, I have the 72" Aquatinics Constallation.

72inAquactinics.jpg

So I decided to start with the sump stand and this is what I got done so far.

Stand.jpg

StandShelf.jpg

This is a 65 Gallon sump made by Melev. I will be modifing this sump so that I can drain each compartment individualy for water changes.

StandShelfSump.jpg

StandShelfSump2.jpg

The Manifold. I decided not to glue anything until I'm 100% sure where I want things to go.

Manifold.jpg

Manifold with True Union Valves

ManifoldValve.jpg

My sump has three compartments and I decided to drill a hole in each compartment. Now I will be able to drain each compartment for water changes. This will also allow me to move all the crap on the bottom of the sump into the holes while draining the sump. I'm guessing that I should be able to drain about 40 gallons for a water change. Not including the water that I will remove from the frag tank.

SumpHole1.jpg

SumpHole.jpg

SumpBulkHead.jpg

SumpBulkHead1.jpg

These are the valves under the sump that I can open to drain the sump. The water will drain underneath the sink into a drain pipe. I have not finished this as I still have to connect the frag tank to this drain pipe.

SumpDrain.jpg

SumpDrain1.jpg

This is where I left off.

SumpManifold.jpg

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
One thought, it looks like your filtration is in the basement and am assuming the DT is on the first fl, are you going to add supports in the basement for the tank because you'll be close to 2000lbs when all said and done?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
One thought, it looks like your filtration is in the basement and am assuming the DT is on the first fl, are you going to add supports in the basement for the tank because you'll be close to 2000lbs when all said and done?
+1 ...A 210g glass, reef tank, with 500lbs of rock and sand, and 2 or 3 people standing in front of it , will be OVER 3000lbs on those 2 or 3 beams that the tank will be sitting on, assuming its in the same direction as the sump. Some extra support couldn't hurt, because, any warpage to those beams, could stress the seams in the tank. I myself, reinforced 3 beams with 2X10's for my 170g and just recently had a structual engineer, suggest 2 EXTRA load-bearing walls be installed, if I put my 450g upstairs (replacing 170g) even though it was against a center wall which has a steel I beam as support. BETTER SAFE, THAN SORRY

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks everyone for the comments.........

+1 ...A 210g glass, reef tank, with 500lbs of rock and sand, and 2 or 3 people standing in front of it , will be OVER 3000lbs on those 2 or 3 beams that the tank will be sitting on, assuming its in the same direction as the sump. Some extra support couldn't hurt, because, any warpage to those beams, could stress the seams in the tank. I myself, reinforced 3 beams with 2X10's for my 170g and just recently had a structual engineer, suggest 2 EXTRA load-bearing walls be installed, if I put my 450g upstairs (replacing 170g) even though it was against a center wall which has a steel I beam as support. BETTER SAFE, THAN SORRY

I'm hoping that this Metal I-Beam will do the trick. It is 8x14.

IBeam.jpg

IBeam1.jpg

I have not done anything yet. I did find my wrasse on the floor this morning all dried up. I think I have to put a net on the 215 when its up and running.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks everyone for the comments.........

I'm hoping that this Metal I-Beam will do the trick. It is 8x14.

IBeam.jpg

IBeam1.jpg

I have not done anything yet. I did find my wrasse on the floor this morning all dried up. I think I have to put a net on the 215 when its up and running.
The tank is going to be sitting directly on the beam? JMO, I would add additional support where the tank is going to rest if not directly on top of the beam.

john90009

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hah if i got a 215g tank i wouldn't go through the trouble of having it on a wooden floor, id have it in the basement when i wouldn't have to worry about leaks and i could sit down stairs all day in the colder air and watch the tank, But the Metal beam will definitely support it just make sure its level right on top of the beam.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'm hoping that this Metal I-Beam will do the trick...It is 8x14. I did find my wrasse on the floor this morning all dried up. I think I have to put a net on the 215 when its up and running.

The tank is going to be sitting directly on the beam? JMO, I would add additional support where the tank is going to rest if not directly on top of the beam.
But the Metal beam will definitely support it just make sure its level right on top of the beam.
It really does matter where the tank sits in relation to the beam, right on top of it, or will it be length-wise and catch 2 wooden beams, or cross-wise and sit on 4 or 5 beams, tanks DO crack for those reasons, a small knee wall in the basement is easy to do, and transfers the load to the concrete floor. As for a 'net' covering the new tank, absolutely necessary, especially with wrasses. And lastly save that picture of your I beam, for comparison, next year when it's really rusty, from the salt air. (emphasis added to quotes)

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
First I want to Thank everyone again for the comments and the help.
I'm a little worried now about the upgrade. I honestly thought that the Metal I-Beam would be strong enough to support the tank.
OK, I will try to explain where and how the tank sits on the second floor.

- The tank will be 2' away from the wall that you see on the first pic with the Metal I-Beam
- It will sit across 5 wood beams
- The back of the tank will sit on the edge of the Metal I-Beam. Meaning, that the width of the tank/stand is 24", only 4-5" will sit on the Metal I-Beam while the rest sits on the Wood Beam.

There is no way my wife is going to let me build a knee wall. The basement is almost finished and the only thing I have to do is put up the drop ceiling. I can't believe that
this build might be over.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: