sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The new sump came yesterday, Wednesday. Great safe shipping with foam insulation and cardboard covering.
I can say the sump is built to exact specs, they seem to really like the solvent to weld it together thou. The seams are straight and tight but solvent spillage all along the seams with bubbles trapped in the solvent. It looks like they used a Weldon #16 for some reason, its thick. I only use Weldon # 3 and #4.
It will do the job its intended for, so I?m happy with that. It was cheap and easy enough I guess, since time is not really something I have a lot of. Other wise I would have built it my self.
So here?s some pics. I?m going to see if I can get a some pics of the solvent welding job to display proudly ?????:irked:

Attachments

• sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 193
  • sump3.jpg
    sump3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 196
  • sump4.jpg
    sump4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 192
  • sump_skimmer1.jpg
    sump_skimmer1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 192
  • sump_skimmer2.jpg
    sump_skimmer2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 189
  • sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 190

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That's great! One step closer.;)

yup, once step closer to the fill day.
Over the weekend I decided I needed to make something to hold my filter socks. To me all the prefab stuff, just wouldn’t do it. So I came up with an idea to make a holder, since the sump is acrylic and I have acrylic laying around, I’ll just make it, since I was at the shop already.
I made the filter sock holder and then my OCD kicked in and I started to think about a monitor prob holder also.
Once all the cutting was done, it was easy to solvent weld the pieces in place. I love working with Weldon, makes acrylic work so much easier.
Now, If I could just make my cuts a little bit better. All my cuts are smooth and straight for the most part, but cutting a circle out with a jig saw is a little tricky, it does the job. Just a couple of chips here and there, that makes my OCD kick in even worse:irked:. Some pics to update my thread.

Attachments

• filter sock holder.jpg
    filter sock holder.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 161
  • filter sock holder with sock in place.jpg
    filter sock holder with sock in place.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 159
  • prob holder done.jpg
    prob holder done.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 159
  • prob holder in place.jpg
    prob holder in place.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 164
  • ph mon in place.jpg
    ph mon in place.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 159
  • ph prob in place.jpg
    ph prob in place.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Placed the skimmer in the chamber with some water change water to let the skimmer break in. I was really surprised how fast the oct 160 started to foam up and not go crazy. With in maybe two hours it had a nice head of brown stained foam going up.
Already, I?m impressed with the octo160 and have a good feeling that this skimmer will do far more then my expectation with a pinwheel pump skimmer would do.
I always used beckett skimmers, never had a problem with them other then them being power hogs. The increase in energy cost is well worth the price when the amount of smelly, stinky, slimy, chunky peanut butter that pull. I love the cowboy coffee they pull and always leave a nice thick smearing of peanut butter around and in the cup.
If the octo keeps working they way it is now, even on a break in, I might just have to start looking at the other octos for my bigger tanks.
But I don?t wont to think about that right now.

Attachments

• skimmer breaking in.jpg
    skimmer breaking in.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 155
  • upclose skimmer breaking in.jpg
    upclose skimmer breaking in.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 153
  • MRC skimmer octo skimmer  competition.jpg
    MRC skimmer octo skimmer competition.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 154

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
its finally time to add the stock from the 125 to the 40 breeder.:thrash:
the transfer went smooth. Coral and fish are opened up and doing great. Had a lot more stock then I originally thought I had. Time to throw more stuff up for sale and on eBay, need to make room.
little wiggle here and the cram there. it all went in. I need to get some more Mr stickies to glue some frags on the sides.
Check out the final pics.
After this, this thread will become my nano update thread, if anyone is interested other then me.:scratchch

I'm going to take some more tank shot, sides and close ups

Attachments

• Setup complete.jpg
    Setup complete.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 266

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How do you like the skimmer so far?

I love the skimmer, I really do.
I have to be honest, I never thought any skimmer would be able to do what my beckett skimmers do. Especially at the price I paid, I was banking a paycheck that the skimmer would be sub par out of the box.
Now mind you also, that I bought the skimmer with the big purple ATB pinwheel. However, the small stock off white pinwheel is working right now. The stock pinwheel is doing a great job at chopping the air up. I almost think I don’t need the purple ATB PW right now.
I’m going to continue the using the stock PW for a couple of months before I swap out the PW’s and see what difference if any it really makes. I think, if I’m not mistaken the ATB pw will draw more air allowing more bubbles to skim with.
I did however notice, and maybe its just me but the skimate is not as stinky as the skimate from the beckett skimmers. To be fair though, the new tank is a 60/40 water mix. 60% is water from the 125 and 40% new mature water that’s 7 days old mixing, aerating and temperature settled. The water was added three days prior to stock swapping.
Tested water before the swap and the reading are as follows
Nitrates 0.5 pinpoint monitor and 0ppm salifert. Ph is 8.4 pinpoint monitor and 8.6 Milwaukee Ph controller with a drop of .4 > 7 when the lights are out over the tank. The refugium light helps to hold the Ph. Calcium is 480 salifert and salinity is 1.27 reefractometer Temperature 73.6*
Test scores are still the same, and on target. As my tanks normally are. Just a little horn toot for me:biggrin:.
If I had to make a choice of giving up one skimmer over the other, I would probably fall over from a panic attack, as both beckett and PW skimmers have impressed me to the point that I would be comfortable using either.
Now, if it were a bigger tank, like my old 265, I really can’t say for certain since again, I only have the experiences with becketts on bigger tanks.
If I could see in person, a bigger octopus skimmer working on bigger tanks and it was pulling the cowboy coffee my MRC 2R pulls as in the pic below I would really consider using them as a mainstay for skimming.
One thing I did learn about skimmers is, some like to hype the skimmers by dosing phyto then going and taking picture and video of the skimmer in action as its pulling the thick green skimate up the riser tube and squirting green water out the drain tube. Those people will stand up and say look how good this skimmer works, yet a coralife will do the same thing.
Me, I like to judge a skimmer on its actions in its entirety. How does it skim when I’m not dosing a tank. Just every day use, is it pulling nice brown crap out. That’s how I judge a skimmer. The MSX octo 160 does just what I like, thick brown crap filled plum of foam and tinted green water, and thick nasty crap an hour after I dose.
So all in all, I think I made a good choice by reading the octo club forums and listening to mojo from RC. Mojo’s reviews on skimmers are spot on, along with the users posting on the club forums.
the pics are of my MRC 2R after being cleaned and skimming for 48 hours. It was on the 125 lightly stocked with fish, but packed with coral. Also it was prior to dosing any liquid foods.

Attachments

• results of skimmer.jpg
    results of skimmer.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 117
  • skimmer collection container.jpg
    skimmer collection container.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
get some more pics while you're at it scrub
still looking for my old camera. Blackberry camera is making the coral colors bleed thru. to much color for the camera to handle.
I think my newer camera is broken, which is probably due to the fact that it some how bounced off a wall:confused: when it decided to give me an error.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: