sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
well after talking about the purple ATB pw i went and replaced the stock white PW. Guess what.................... the F&*King ATB pw wont spin, wtf :confused: it just figures, i go and talk about the ATB PW and how i love the stock PW and the skimmer and now want to see how the ATB pw does, so the ATB PW goes and gives me a big stiff one right in the back side.
So i called reef specialty who I bought the skimmer from and he turns around and tells me " uuuuhh call ATB, you probably have to drill the inside out" I'm like drill the inside out of what??
I have to drill out the F&*KING PUMP?????? :confused: is this correct??? :confused: it can't be.
So RS gives me the phone number to ATB and I call ATB. it turns out that ATB had a bad batch from the factory that makes the purple PW.
Turns out, you drill the center hole if the PW with a 21/64 size drill bit.
Now, some might say ‘it’s not a big deal just drill it. You have the info and you obviously have the know how and the tools to do the modification to do it‘. You would be right. I can and would, but I would expect better customer service from the d*ck bag I bought the skimmer from, not UUUgghhhh they will probably tell you to drill it. How about UUUUHHH send it back and I’ll replace it. That would be the right thing to do.
Which on the contrary is not the case. I think the gentlemen’s name from ATB was victor or something not sure. But if anyone reading this knows his name, please chime in, I would like to give him written credit on my thread for great customer service. While I lambaste reef specialty for UUUUhhh horrible customer service, what a d*&kbag.
For the love of god, the guys at my reef creation, who I love to death, they make the best equipment ever and have no problem replacing anything for free that might even be off cosmetically. Trust me, I know for a fact.
ATB tells me they’ll send me out a new one for free, but if you want to use the bad one now take a 21/64 size bit and drill it out. THAT’S CUSTOMER SERVICE. ATB knew they had a problem and I can almost bet my left family jewel that ATB notified there retailers of the problem. God knows when I worked in retail years ago manufactures were always notifying companies of problems and potential problems.
If I have to touch a piece of equipment with anything other then my hands and have to make even the slightest clip, snip or cut, I consider that modification. If I have to mod anything out of the box to work its not worth the time or sweat in my book.
I’m not in no means saying the octopus extreme is not a great skimmer. Just the reef specialty is a hack when it comes to customer service.
As I’m writing this, I just got an email from victor, asking for my address to send out a replacement PW, once again, that’s customer service.
So the stock PW is back in place and kicking ass, so I’m happy with the skimmer then again reef specialty did not build the skimmer.
Sure some people might be happy with Reef specialty, I’m not. Bad customer service, even once is enough for me to throw them under the bus and tell the world of how UUUHHHhhh they don’t help their customers once the credit card payment goes threw.
BLAAAAAA....... REEF SPECIALTY STINKS ON ICE.

Last edited:

premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lmao damn dude way to break your camera. so you are def going to drill the skimmer/pump? how long before they send you a new one? (are they asking for the old one back? if not sell that **** to me lol)

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
lmao damn dude way to break your camera. so you are def going to drill the skimmer/pump? how long before they send you a new one? (are they asking for the old one back? if not sell that **** to me lol)

the camera is a couple years old any way. i got it when the fuji finepix AB first hit the markets. It always gave me errors, almost like a microsoft blue screen of death.
it would have been fine if it did not throw an error on the screen when i was on my honeymoon.
Plus it gives me a reason t convince the wife to allow me to buy the rebel with a macro lens kit.
I don?t have to drill the pump. That did not make sense to me anyway, it?s the PW you have to drill. ATB is sending me a new purple PW for my troubles.
If I had to drill the pump itself, it would have never happened. I would have just settled for the stock pinwheel.
The stock PW is doing just fine anyway. I just thought that for S &Giggles I would buy the ATB PW and see what the skimmer could do.
In my opinion, you don?t really need the ATB PW unless you really feed heavy or have a heavy stock tank.
in the pic i pointed out what has to be drilled if anyone should run into a problem with the ATB pw

Attachments

• ATB PW have to drill.jpg
    ATB PW have to drill.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 129

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
oh ok i thought they were sending u a new skimmer i was about to say good customer service

lol no ATB only makes the PW. I don't really know who makes the skimmer. not yet at least.
Just know its an Octopus extreme 160. thats good enough for me right now.
And my fuji camera is working again, go figure. i'll be taking some tank shots sat and post them.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Got my new ATB pw from Vincent today, it still don?t work. I?m going to send back the new pw since its not Vincent?s fault or problem.
I call Mike at Reef specialty and inform him that the problem still persist, he tells me salesatcoralview.com. The skimmers is not even in my possession 30 days yet. Yet I have to email coral view??? WTF is that? What about your 30day return policy, HOW ABOUT YOU TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM, MIKE????
Mike at Reef specialty sucks the big one. Yeah you read this right, Mike sucks.
If your looking into a skimmer or anything that shyster sells, buy it from someplace else. Do your self the favor and STAY AWAY FROM REEF SPECIALTY. Dealing with Mikes is no different then dealing with a scam artist.
The only specialty that Mike from reef specialty has is taking your money and giving you the run around.
Mike sucks. Hopefully that jackass goes out of business. Anything I can do to help that happen, I?m on board.
I?m kicking my self in ass for buying the skimmer from a no name hack instead of buying from aquacave, should have to paid the shipping from aquacave.:irked:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
after talking with coralvue about the pump not spinning. I was instructed to blow down the air inlet and see if this helps the problem, it did and the red is pw is now spinning. Coralvue still wants to check the pump out for me anyway since its a problem.
So I?m going to order a new pump from aquacave and return the original to coralvue.
Coralvue is not a bad company to deal with. They genuinely sounded like they cared about the problem.
I have learned two things from this ordeal.
1 Mike and his customer service at reef specialty still suck and hopefully go belly up
2. coralvue makes the reef octopus extreme

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
shark, coralvue people are stand-up guys. i've dealt with them before.

thanks. they seem to be. They want to look at the pump and see if the PW do get stuck on all pumps or is my pump an isolated problem.
After some looking on line and reading apparently, some reports show with the purple PW some had problems also. The Pw were replaced and worked fine. Others reported they had to blow into the air intake. I tried blowing into the air intake and that makes the both, purple and red Pw work. So this seems to be the curative to the problem, not happy about it but if this is a known problem with the purple ATB pw then no sense buying a new pump and sending the ?old? one back to coralvue.
I still can?t stand the shotty service from mike at reef specialty.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
here is some pics of the first 7 days of skimate. The skimate is nothing but byproducts of the tank. Nothing has been dosed in the tank. The smells is just as bad as the skimate from my MRC 2R skimmer. I was not expecting it to be as strong. I took the cap off the collection jug and my knees just about buckled.
Once again, not fully believing a pinwheel skimmer could pull the skunky nasty garbage like a beckett. I can admit it, I was so wrong, my stomach was quivering. It did not help that I had my nose right at the jug cap and was taking a deep breath when I released the cap and all the skimmers airy goodness sucked right up into the olfactory.

Attachments

• 7days worth2.jpg
    7days worth2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 7days worth.jpg
    7days worth.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 109

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: