ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I posted this on RC but want more of the local community input on this one. To start, here is the back story:

I have a glass shop and about 2 years ago decided to make my own aquarium after having a JBJ 24g NanoCube. I wanted starphire, sump, etc. So off we went and built a nice aquarium. All was well in my world until a month or so ago when I came into my office on a Monday morning to find that the tank had been leaking all weekend. I had fortunately been building another tank anyway due to some severe scratching that occurred when someone (won't point fingers) cleaned the glass. So all was not lost (just a lot). However, after doing some research and talking to a few folks, it was determined that the tank had a few tragic flaws and would most likely leak again...

That brings me to my 3rd attempt at this tank (the 2nd attempt is up and running, but I am trying to get this one 100% ASAP).

Tank specs:
24 5/8" x 18" x 18" starphire 4 sides (just easier)
3/8" glass on sides, 1/2" glass on bottom

Sump:
24" x 18" x 16" H

Equipment:
2x EcoTech Vortech MP10's for circulation
1x MaxiJet 1200 return pump
24" Coralife Aqualight Pro 150w w/2x 65w PC Actinic (upgrading to the AquaIlluminations 24" LED system as soon as it is out)
Coralife CSS65 Skimmer (POS that I need to get rid of and was about to until this money draining experience of restocking the tank came into play)
Neptune ReefKeeper Lite controller (on the way)

Now, since I have a glass shop I thought it would be interesting (maybe not) to show the process from the ground up. Pardon the quality of the pics, but they are all from my phone.

Sending the glass through the polisher
2.jpg

My shop guys dry fitting the tank
6.jpg

They were kind enough to start stocking my tank too
4.jpg

All siliconed up
8.jpg

This is when plans changed a bit. I was originally planning on putting the overflow in the center of the back wall and the MP10s to either side. However, this would have created a dead spot in the center of the tank which I did not want. We decided to create a false wall along the back of the tank with 2 dry boxes to house the MP10s and the overflow in the center section.

Plan view
plan-view.jpg

Elevation of false wall
elevation.jpg

False wall masked and ready for paint
IMG00044-20091002-1454.jpg

IMG00049-20091006-1438.jpg

False wall installed and in current state...
IMG00064-20091013-1109.jpg

We finished siliconing the false wall on yesterday and we are going to give it another water test today to make sure that the dry boxes are, well, dry... Then just some touch up painting to do where the silicone didn't fill in but that's a quick job.

That's it for the moment. Hoping to get this 100% setup this weekend. If the water test goes as planned then all we have left is drilling the bulkheads and holes for the MP10 wires in the back.

Any thoughts / comments / harsh criticisms are always welcome!

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Just one Criticism.... Why didnt you make me one too.... I would like the same thing... But 24x24x24 and no dry boxes

BTW Tank looks Great.... Nice Job

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just one Criticism.... Why didnt you make me one too.... I would like the same thing... But 24x24x24 and no dry boxes

BTW Tank looks Great.... Nice Job

I agree. No one just does a single tester. I'll be waiting by the door for my tester tank also
Looks nice, Good job. i find it kind of cool and informative how the glass work is done. Keep the pics rolling.
Also, You need to educate the guys, you can not put paper sharks with little paper fish. on the weekends the poor little fish is going to get shredded. Get it..... paper fish.... shredded.... I know, booooo I know, it was along way for a poor joke.

Last edited:

ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the compliments guys! Unfortunately I have not started making tanks in any official capacity. I have inquired with MR about becoming a sponsor when (and if) I do decide to expand our current business to include custom tanks. But at the moment this thread is strictly a log for the community and myself.

I do have plans in the near future to start my next build of a 48" x 24" x 20" starphire with a few modifications to the current plan. Just have to figure out what I want to do about my stand (current stand is custom and the wife REALLY likes it).

Also, You need to educate the guys, you can not put paper sharks with little paper fish. on the weekends the poor little fish is going to get shredded. Get it..... paper fish.... shredded....
Haha! I was waiting for something like that to come along... :)

ycrazyy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So apparently I am just plain 'ole retarded. Went to do my paint touch ups today and when I started spraying to fill in where I needed to, the paint that was dry started to bubble and come off! I quickly called Krylon to find out why this was happening and they pointed out something (which I probably would have ignored anyway) on the can which said you can only do recoats within 24 hours or after 7 days. Why? I have no idea, but apparently bad things happen. So I had to scrape it all off and now I have to wait. It sucks, but I guess that's life. Will update next week!

*EDIT* Well I am retarded because I realized I took pictures when I last painted the tank and that was on 10/2! I am calling Krylon now to complain, maybe I am missing something here...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: