JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My old tank is a 72gal bow ( just to small )

new tank is 220 gal 72 x 24 x 30
sump is 48 x 24 x 20

Tank falls right under a steel beam(thank god!)

What I bought so far:
All my stuff is going in a full basement equipment room

(2) Pan world 250 pumps
mtc procal calcuim reactor
precision marine phosban reactor
precision marine carbon reactor
precision marine bullet 3 skimmer
3/4 hp chiller
(2) vortech mp40
(3) 400w spider reflectors
(3) reeflux 400w bulbs 12k
(3) 400w PFO ballests
(1) 660 ice cap ballast
(4) 36" vho actinic bulbs

started plumbing today!!

Open to all suggestions to make my tank look better

Attachments

• DSC00202.JPG
    DSC00202.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 6,062
  • DSC00190.JPG
    DSC00190.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 6,058
  • DSC00193.JPG
    DSC00193.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 6,078

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Lots of potential!

Have you considered mounting Vortechs(maybe even mp20/mp10) on the back glass? I wish I had 4 MP20's(located on back glass) instead of my 2 MP40's on my 120(48"x24"x24"), or perhaps some combination of the two. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Lokks Great so far,,,, I'm a little worried about that doorknob hitting the tank. I would hate to see someone open that door too hard....... SMASH

Took the words right out of my mouth. Have you done anything to stop that door knob from being smacked in to your tank?

Other then that! It is a beautiful set up...................................

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have seen many systems where the vortechs are on the back glass, since it is a show tank, you might want to throttle them down a bit so they are not just bouncing off of the front glass.

Also be sure that you will be able to reach over the tank in case you need to adjust them or maintenance the wet end.

Good luck and keep the pics coming! If you need anything feel free to pm or call!

Good luck buddy!

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
thanks guys,

Joe and Leo that is what I plan on putting 3 vortech mp40 on one side and on other side but on back put 2 mp20.

I have not put a door stopper yet but thanks I forget to get at HD today. Put on list for tomorrow.

started to pipe the sump and put everthing in the spot I feel is good

Attachments

• DSC00199.JPG
    DSC00199.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,149

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Instead of doing Vortechs, why don't you make the return pump large enough that powerheads aren't needed.. That's the way to go. My 300 ha sno powerheads and the water movement is crazy.. You'll just need to plan a little bit more so that the water movement can remain turbulant ant the aquascape can look nice also..

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Instead of doing Vortechs, why don't you make the return pump large enough that powerheads aren't needed.. That's the way to go. My 300 ha sno powerheads and the water movement is crazy.. You'll just need to plan a little bit more so that the water movement can remain turbulant ant the aquascape can look nice also..

I'd go closed loop before going that route as I'm not sure I'd trust stock AGA overflows to that type of volume, to eliminate any PH he's looking at 5500GPH at a guess of 15'. The sump would also need to be rather large to reduce the micro bubble risk.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
How big of a sump is he trying to go with?? Micro bubbles will be a problem from 15' with a small sump either way.. Also if he was to go with a single pump like I did he would definetly have to have more than stock drains... Unless the factory returns were used as drains I've done numerous setups like that.. Who would use factory drains and returns on a AGA on a big tank??? That's only possible in a fowlr and still the flow would be horrible..
If you ask me reef ready does not mean reef ready on most of the tanks that aren't custom made.. And a lot of you guy's aren't really upgrading your just getting bigger display tanks, forgetting about the drains, returns, sumps, and pumps..

huffnpuffer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
its a gorgeous tank cant wait till its filled up. i may sound like an amateur but the koralia pumps are relatively small on the outside of maybe one inch, so for any dead spots u can use the koralia (4). good luck looks great

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I also use 24" filter socks that take care of all micro bubbles.. I change them once a week.. One 7" filter sock?? Do you plan on changing it every other day??? Just trying to help your system run smoother it is a work place right??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: