Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So here's my first saltwater tank ever guys! Used to have a Freshwater 29..

Run down:

Size : 40Gallon Breeder
Filter : 10gallon tetra (Don't worry, I'll be getting a AquaClear 110 soon, just waiting for a good price), 45LBs Fiji Live rock, 2LBs Tonga =D, 40LBs Carbi White Live Sand
Salt mix : Marin Tropic
Flow : Koralia 3, that's it for now, looking for an extra koralia but for a very low price, on a super tight budget, so if you've got anything, let me know please.
Lighting : 175 Watt 20k Metal Halide Pendant (Hate this thing bc I have no stand yet and I'm trying to find/make one bc I haven't put light on the tank AT ALL yet and the rocks been in for 4 days!)

So far I have no test kits at all but I know my Salinity is about 1.021 or 1.022

I plan on doing a reef with clowns n gobies, etc.

Any ideas/views/opinions/tips guys?!

(PS: The pics are barebottom bc I JUST added in the sand like an hour ago and it's still cloudy so I'll take pics in a few days when it settles, PS PS: My 4th day with the LR in.. Just added the LS today.)

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 403

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
- Really depends on what corals you will keep. The Koralia 3 should be adequate flow. Watch where you point it.

- Yes, you need a skimmer... figure out what you will do (hang on back/sump/etc.)-- Check out the Aqua C Remora Pro

- Up your salinity to at least 1.024

- You will absolutely need a top of some kind. Gobies jump

- A heater you didn't mention anything

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
keep in mind, you'll also have to deal with top off water especially since you have MH which evaps water like none other.

btw, interesting thread topic.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm sure it is going to be a very nice tank.;)

First thing you need is some test kits, and a heater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How will you know when your tank is done cycline without them?:)

Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry guys it's a marineland 150watt heater n I got a crappy coralife mini internal skimmer 115 which is good for up to 30gal.. Not much but better than nothing right?!
Thanks any other ideas guys?

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Im in the process of upgrading skimmers.. ill have a Tunze 9005 up for sale right after Thanksgiving.. would be a good fit for your tank as you can run it in tank until you get a sump. Ill sell it you real cheap if you are interested. PM if so..

I would add a few more pounds of LR as well.

What is your water change setup?

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Looks like you are off to a good start. I would suggest adding some more rock as well. You do not need to buy live rock, instead get dry rock. Marcorocks.com has nice porous lightweight dry rock. Buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium and alkalinity. If you do not have an RODI unit, I would strongly suggest purchasing one. I would also add another Koralia 3.

Also, an Aquaclear 110 is not an essential piece of equipment for your tank. Sure it is nice to have so you can run carbon in it, but you can do that with the terta for now. I would use that money towards an upgraded skimmer, especially since you are on a budget. Your live rock and skimmer, along with proper water changes, will keep your tank filtered.

Good luck with your tank. You will put in a lot of blood swaet and tears but in the end you will love it.

Last edited:

Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am going to the turn the AC110 into a cheato fuge I think bc i have NO money for a sump nor the place for it, the AQ I'm getting for only like $45 so it's a good deal, i'd say...

Test kits i'm not even gonna bother getting untill about 2-3weeks from now.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I wouldn't go with the AC110 fuge on a tank this size, cause the work and $$$ invested into the AC would reap little benefits, if any benefits for the tank.

Save the money now and buy yourself a HOB skimmer. Remora with a mag3 is a great way to go. I used that set up when i had my 40br.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am going to the turn the AC110 into a cheato fuge I think bc i have NO money for a sump nor the place for it, the AQ I'm getting for only like $45 so it's a good deal, i'd say...

Test kits i'm not even gonna bother getting untill about 2-3weeks from now.

$45 is not bad for an AC110, but even if you intend to use it as a fuge there are still better things to spend that money on first. I would either put that $45 towards an upgraded skimmer (first option), or this rock:
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=CARTDETAILS

Either of these would be more beneficial to your tank in the long run, IMO.

Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well I can't STAND dry rock (sorry just a quirk) so if anything I would just get about 5-10lbs of live rock more, the problem is it's $8 in hackensack (Reef Encounter is the shop) Which is like $40-80 and that's alot of money.. There's really no skimmers for like under $150 and I really can't be wasting that money now, after I get myself a koralia and the AQ110 I have to just start saving for the CUC which is gonna cost me about $120 alone..

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well I can't STAND dry rock (sorry just a quirk) so if anything I would just get about 5-10lbs of live rock more, the problem is it's $8 in hackensack (Reef Encounter is the shop) Which is like $40-80 and that's alot of money.. There's really no skimmers for like under $150 and I really can't be wasting that money now, after I get myself a koralia and the AQ110 I have to just start saving for the CUC which is gonna cost me about $120 alone..

The Aqua C Remora/Urchins Protein Skimmers are right around $150. But if money is tight, money is tight. $120 on a CUC for a 40 gallon tank? It should not cost close to that. How many snails and hermits do you intend to add?

Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys, Just installed my ceiling hanger for the 175w 20k MH! Here's some pics!

First is with flash (even though the MH is on)
Second is without flash with the MH on!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 129

straightjiggy10

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.2%
235   2   0
1. If you can make way to The Bronx, I can give you most of the major test kits.
2. You may want to cover or paint the back of your tank its a nicer look to me (Personal Preference).
3. I wouldn't run light too much untill tank is fully cycled waste $ (Light Bill) + Evapuation.

Looks like that tank will come a long way! keep up good work and remember that no matter what people tell you, Do what work for you and experience is the best teacher.

Last edited:

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
be careful of the heat issue betweem the light and the radiator that the tank is near nice set up thought I have a 40 breeder. good luck with it. also is that the filter you going to be running i do not think you would be but I am just asking

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I wanted to add thank you kris for selling me that 40 breeder :) I have a coralife65 which I am getting rid of soon I would say save the 45 and just wait to put any thing in the tank till you get good filtration and very good skimmer.

I wouldn't go with the AC110 fuge on a tank this size, cause the work and $$$ invested into the AC would reap little benefits, if any benefits for the tank.

Save the money now and buy yourself a HOB skimmer. Remora with a mag3 is a great way to go. I used that set up when i had my 40br.

Anthonyjiz

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How much are you getting rid of that coralife65 for?

And I'm getting an AQ110 this probably next week so I'll be using that as a filter.. or turn it into a cheato mod, i'll have to see..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: