btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Here's the thread from when we started the tank in Sept: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=367480

we added more rock (FINALLY) and more coral (frags) and more fish (yay!) Still need to add more rock, but LFS still doesn't have any ready for us

So here's our stock list as of now: DECEMBER 2009

Fish:
2 Ocellaris Clowns - mated pair
1 Blonde Naso Tang
1 Sailfin Tang - she eats from my hand!
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
2 Yellow Watchman Gobies - mated pair (I think they're going through a trial separation right now, LOL )
1 Yellow Clown Goby (there's supposed to be 6, who knows where they went)
1 Green Spotted Mandarin
3 Female Lyretail Anthias - babies (LOVE THEM!) fairly certain one is changing into a male
1 Longfin Fairy Wrasse (went floor surfing in November)
1 Black Combtooth Blenny
1 Flame angel
3 Pajama cardinals

Corals: LPS
Pink Trumpets, Duncans, Fox Coral, Branching Frogspawn, Regular Frogspawn, Torch, Pagoda Cup, Purple Flowerpot, Green Flowerpot, Sun Coral, Candy Cane, Branching Hammer, Cat's Eye Bubble, Trachyphyllia (green and purple), Favia (maroon and green), Favia brown w/ teal middles,
Blastomussa, Mint Cloves, Daisy Polyps, Red Lobo, Hairy Green Mushrooms, Purple Pimple Mushroom, Blue Mushrooms, Blue spotted mushroom, Blue/Green Branching Lobophyllia (rare) ,Grey w/ Orange Lobophyllia, Green A million misc. zoos, Purple Acans, Orange Jubilee Acans, Rainbow Acans, Tons of misc. Polyps

Corals: SPS
Green birdsnest, Bird of paradise ora, Green bali slimer ora, Nathan's green milli ora, Turquoise/Teal/ or blueberry Staghorn? , Marshall Island acro, Pink milli, Red monticap, Purple w/ red monticap, Blue tip / white acro, TRI color milli?... some I haven't fully identified yet.

Definitely will be adding an Elegance very soon (along with tons of other corals)

Inverts:
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
2 Green Bubble Tip Anemones
1 Mini Carpet Anemone
5-10 Astrea snails
5 Trochus snails
7 Cerith snails
5 Nassarius snails
7 Blue Knuckle Hermits (5 little, 2 giants)
2 Scarlett Hermits <-- waste, they always get killed by the blue knuckles
5 Mexican reef hermits
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (probably will add one more)
2 Sand Sifting Star fish
tons of brittle starfish that came as hitchhikers
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab

Additional info: new upgrades December
Running an ASM G-3 Protein skimmer with upgraded pump (7000)
Coralife Aqualight 72" 3 x 150w plusright hqis w/ 2 coralife royal blue 96w 470nm actincs and soon 2 purple coralife 96w 420nm ... or might do a t5 retro
950 gph overflow, purchased a CPR cs102 will be going in soon.
40G sump, 1 Koralia 4 Power head, 1 koralia 2, and ecotech vortech mp40w
None of our fish fight. It's a very peaceful tank. We had issues with our Coral Beauty until we added a fish larger than her, now she's fine. Our tangs will even eat off the same seaweed clip together.
The Coral Beauty does NOT nip at any of our corals, nor has she.
Although our mandarin eats pods in the rocks, we also spot feed tigger pods weekly. We do not have a refugium attached to the tank.
Our anemones do move around a little (a very little). They have yet to sting any of our corals. Our power heads are NOT covered. (I would prefer they were, my husband will have no part of it) NOW for the pics....

Pictures are all part of a progression .... from the past 4 months.. hopefully post updates each month.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
September

DSCN0783.jpg
DSCN0781.jpg
DSCN0790.jpg
DSCN0791.jpg
DSCN0784.jpg
DSCN0786.jpg

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
72 1/2 x 30 x 18 1/2

its been awhile.... i am going to try to update this thread.
we are about to move in the next two months...my wife and are purchasing a 180g from a fellow mr member that will be going into the new place.

Last edited:

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
OKAY...so its been awhile.... last pictures were in december. at that time we had put a coralife aqualight : 3x 150w hqi + 4x 96w pc 420nm and royal blue. we had put 14k pheonix bulbs which made a big difference but we were battling super high calcium and low alkalinity. we were using coralife salt mix for the tank up until 3 months ago. we were told to go with brightwells reef salt..... BIG MISTAKE.... it made the tank a mess in aproximately a month. WE are now using seachem Aqua Vetro SALINITY.... and WOW> i do weekly waterchanges and in aprox 2-3 weeks what a difference. prior with the brightwells alot of damage was done. we lost show size favias, bubbles, and all sps. Finally we are back on track....

now w/ aqua vetro salinity, fluval fx5 for carbon media exchange instead of bag diffusion, and our recently purchased from another member on the site.... 3x 250w halides w/ ice cap ballasts. things are finally starting to grow again, look bright, and just overall seem happy again.

from this... in december
DSCN0915.jpg

to this as of TODAY
DSCN1273.jpg

over past 7 months added:
lighting 3x 250w halides in reefoptix pendants w/ ice cap ballasts
2 xm and 1 reeflux 10k bulbs
4x 39w wavepoint coral wave and blue actinic bulbs powered by glo ballasts

filtration
20gal refugium w/ pc 10k and 420nm actinic 24w
chaeto and culerpa with 4-5" sand bed and some live rock
fluval fx5 w/ carbon in one chamber and purigen in the two other chambers
cpr dual overflow
ecotech vortech mp40
triton 1325gph submersible pump

Last edited:

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
DSCN1270.jpg

ORIGINAL 14g bio cube....
orange spotted (harliquin) filefish
yasha goby and banded pistol shrimp
maxima clam.... yes in pc lighting.

that tank is no more. its now an sps frag tank... my wife has better plans for it.

Last edited:
T

THEDLO

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
DSCN1270.jpg

ORIGINAL 14g bio cube....
orange spotted (harliquin) filefish
yasha goby and banded pistol shrimp
maxima clam.... yes in pc lighting.

AN ORANGE SPOTTED FILE FISH!!! NO WAY! WHERE DID U GET THIS GUY!!! did u have to train it to eat mysis?

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZze1-jbMsk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

the 14g AS OF NOW;
modified 14g bio cube
14k pheonix 150w halide in a current orbit fixture
chaeto in the back 'refugium' w/ chemi pure elite media
bio cube nano powerhead
DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1278.jpg

DSCN1275.jpg

DSCN1280.jpg

DSCN1284.jpg

Last edited:

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
AN ORANGE SPOTTED FILE FISH!!! NO WAY! WHERE DID U GET THIS GUY!!! did u have to train it to eat mysis?

got it from mike at tropical aquariums in deer park.
nope it took awhile to fully acclimate ... very malnurished... feed it mysis and vitamin enriched brine then... switched to pe mysis. fed it 3 times a day. after 8 months of having her... she got stressed out and smacked its beak against something and broke its beak. stopped eating and died. ...sucks...but we will try again.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
got it from mike at tropical aquariums in deer park.
nope it took awhile to fully acclimate ... very malnurished... feed it mysis and vitamin enriched brine then... switched to pe mysis. after 8 months of having him... he got stressed out and smacked its beak against something and broke its beak. stopped eating and died. ...sucks...but we will try again.

:'( i want one......in about 2 years lol when i know ill be ready for one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: