Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Unfortunately, things are still in a designing phase. I know that I'm going to be using a sump that's 20"L X 20"W & 16"H. It's been recommended by a good friend to look into the Gen II Vertex IN-180. I'm probably going to go with that skimmer given the amount of air it draws (720lph). The foot print is 13.5' X 11". I still want to have enough room for a small fuge. So, I'm probably going to have my skimmer compartment cut to 14.5" X 12". I should then have enough room for a filter sock & a fuge approximately 6" X 20". Taking in account some room for baffles.

Am I on the right track with this configuration?

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dont know if you set yours up yet but, I put mine on the stand yesterday and started filling her up. Then I noticed it wasnt sitting right. Looking at it closer it was obvious the dryed silicone was comeing out of the seems under the tank. I contacted cadlights they said the 60 gals not theres and they have nothing to do with it. So i called 1000 island and they said use a sharp razor and cut off the excess, I did so and now the tank sits nice and flat. I noticed on cadlights site their tanks look to be sitting on a white cusion like foam inbetween the tank and stand. This make me nervous this is a $1000 setup :/ hope nothing happens once its full.

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over to 1000 Island Aquariums today to look at this tank. $600 tank only but a very nice tank... The stand is junk... However when I look at this first post I see a well packed tank. They looked at me like I had 6 heads when I asked if it was boxed... I have a 40 mile trip to that store. A box would be nice. Language barrier was the issue...

I am strungly considering this tank since I am going to build my own stand...

Last edited:

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up my new 60g Starphire cube from 1000 Island Aquarium this afternoon with the help of Jackson6745. I'm happy to say I'm excited to start this little project.

Here's a list of a few things I'll be picking up over the next few weeks.

*Custom acrylic sump. Something that will fit nicely under the stand, but will optimize my limited space.
*Over-sized skimmer. Possibly an Octopus.
*ATI Fixture. Not sure if I want to go with the 24" 6X24 Powermodule or Sunpower. The Sunpower seems like a better decision cost-wise.
*Phosban Reactor.
*Controller. Possibly the Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite Level 3 (or something comparable).
*A.T.O. system. I'd like to incorporate part of my sump to hold RO water.
*Not sure how much LR I'm going to use. I have a few pieces in my existing tank, but may want to start fresh. I really want to hide the overflow box as much as possible and make it look kinda like a volcano sloping down. I want to leave at least 3"- 4" of space between the glass and the rock for cleaning purposes. I also thought about getting weird and going with live black sand....but that's still up in the air.

My goal is to keep SPS's, Acans, Scolys, assorted Zoos, Montis....Really anything that catches my eye along with a few fish. 6-8 small fish sounds about right.

If anyone has any suggestions, LMK. I'm open to any ideas. The tank isn't going to see a drop of water until I get back from vacation in a few weeks and paint the first floor. What would you do if you were building this tank (ie: Return Pump, C.U.C. etc...)?

Here are a few pics from today......Pardon the mess as I'm in the middle of doing some redecorating.

Hey what size were your drain and return holes? My drain was 42mm which is a 1" bulkead. My return was 32mm. Well thats only a 1/2 inch return. I need to grind 1mm all the way around to bring it to 34mm sio I can fit a 3/4 bulkhead. Even that hole is small for most of the bulheads online.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: