Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just picked up my new 60g Starphire cube from 1000 Island Aquarium this afternoon with the help of Jackson6745. I'm happy to say I'm excited to start this little project.

Here's a list of a few things I'll be picking up over the next few weeks.

*Custom acrylic sump. Something that will fit nicely under the stand, but will optimize my limited space.
*Over-sized skimmer. Possibly an Octopus.
*ATI Fixture. Not sure if I want to go with the 24" 6X24 Powermodule or Sunpower. The Sunpower seems like a better decision cost-wise.
*Phosban Reactor.
*Controller. Possibly the Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite Level 3 (or something comparable).
*A.T.O. system. I'd like to incorporate part of my sump to hold RO water.
*Not sure how much LR I'm going to use. I have a few pieces in my existing tank, but may want to start fresh. I really want to hide the overflow box as much as possible and make it look kinda like a volcano sloping down. I want to leave at least 3"- 4" of space between the glass and the rock for cleaning purposes. I also thought about getting weird and going with live black sand....but that's still up in the air.

My goal is to keep SPS's, Acans, Scolys, assorted Zoos, Montis....Really anything that catches my eye along with a few fish. 6-8 small fish sounds about right.

If anyone has any suggestions, LMK. I'm open to any ideas. The tank isn't going to see a drop of water until I get back from vacation in a few weeks and paint the first floor. What would you do if you were building this tank (ie: Return Pump, C.U.C. etc...)?

Here are a few pics from today......Pardon the mess as I'm in the middle of doing some redecorating.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,541
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,533
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,559
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,497

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
LMFAO Rich....I kinda like masks. I have about eight of them. That's not where I intend to keep the mask.

Tonyyammine.....Tank/Stand went for $750.00. They have additional packages that run btwn $899-$1099 with lighting (t5 or halide) & wet/dry systems. Since I wanted to set the tank up they way I wanted it, I opted to go with just the tank/stand. I also felt better going to a place and seeing exactly what I was going to get.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
What's with the head on a stick? :eek:
Freaky:Up_to_som

dude, that's Chuck, the African god of fishtanks ;)

anyway, great looking tank! i used to also have a 60 cube. they are a great size. when i was running one i used a tunze 9005 skimmer and a DAS EX1. Both are great skimmers for that size tank, all depends on how much room you have in the sump/stand.

As for controllers, I prefer the aquacontrollers over the reefkeepers, but its totally a personal preference. you can get the ACjr with the DC8 and probes for about 225 which is a crazy deal. dont really know what a comparable RK setup will cost (they didnt have the new versions of the Reefkeepers out when I got the controller, so I guess I can't really talk about the ones you are looking at)

As for using part of the sump for an ATO resivoir, I think you might find that you dont really have enough space to pull it off (at least i didnt). if you are putting the tank in the corner, maybe you can just hide a bucket behind it and have a full 5 gallons of freshwater back there.

Finally, i really hate the TLF reactors. If you can fit it in your stand or sump I would check out the options from Bulk Reef Supply, namely the BRS dual reactor, or the simplicity plus reactor (though this takes up a ton of space in your sump).

anyway, looks great! good luck on the build!

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Fcarargo6thave.....
Tank came from 1000 Island Aquarium on Utica Ave in Bklyn.

jrobbins....
Thanks for the info and the heads up on the controllers. I'm going to have to do some reading up on some of the features different controllers have to offer. I'll also read up on some of your other suggestions. I've toyed with the idea of keeping a bucket behind the stand, but I'm a little concerned with monitoring the bucket's water level. I figured if it's in it's own chamber, in plain sight, it would be easy to keep filled. As of now, I haven't added the additional shelf to the inside of the stand. I'm not really sure if I want it there. If I do decide to put in the shelf, I might mount some kind of RO water container on it.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments.......I can't wait to see this thing set up!

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Awesome tank and stand.. I'm drooling all over it.. I'm also in the process or at least the thinking process of setting up a tank, lol..

Can't wait on how this will turn up.. Especially with the help of the jackson6745 guy, lol

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
That is the EXACT TANK i want to upgrade into.
Would love to see everything when its set up since I have no idea how to do these kind of tanks with plumbing and all that. I have a 28 gallon cube so it was plug and play.
Keep us posted!

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks everyone!

There are two pre-cut holes in the back of the stand.

Dimensions of the tank are 24"X24"X24".

Originally, the LFS had a different 60g cube I was seriously considering, but, it didn't have black silicone, and it wasn't truly rimless. I also wouldn't have minded the Starphire. Sure enough I waited another week to think things over, and they got exact tank/stand I was looking for in stock. Last I heard there were a few still there.

This is my first tank with a sump, so hopefully with the help of a few MR friends, it'll go fairly smoothly....I'm sure I'll encounter a few bumps, but bumps are good to learn from.

I can't wait for this thing to be up and running either. I'm painting the living room this weekend & can really get things moving after that.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: