Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Nice going! I like the wall look - you have a lot more room for stuff that I have in my 16g...

Thinking about doing that for my 37g... I'm just worried about moving again in a year. I think that wall would be a pain in the a$$ to move!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks 420. I would not want to move it either. It's possible for me to move this one, but it would be tough. A 37 would just be crazy....all over the place.

Herm, thanx bro. And I wasn't making excuses. :fishhit: FBB pointed it out :wink1: Thanks froggie. :lol:

ms

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
LeslieS said:
This is really cool. I had trouble drilling holes in my rock. Did you use a special bit?

Thanks Leslie.
I didn't have to drill all the rock. Most of it actually had the holes in them naturally. The ones that required drilling, I just used a Dremel Rotary Tool with a 1/8" carbide tipped bit.

Russ

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Russ, how do you think the eggcrate wall would work on a larger scale?

I'm thinking of using the idea for my 120. Just on one end or in a corner though, not the whole back wall.
I'm wondering if I can hide the zip ties well enough.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
Russ, how do you think the eggcrate wall would work on a larger scale?

I'm thinking of using the idea for my 120. Just on one end or in a corner though, not the whole back wall.
I'm wondering if I can hide the zip ties well enough.

I like the corner idea. It helps it to become almost selfsupporting (90 degee).

Hiding the cable ties is not difficult at all. It is just a matter of drilling the rock, or snaking it through inconspicuous areas. I would also use black light diffuser next time. I've never seen it at HD, but I do know it is available.

Keep in mind, this tiny little project took about 7 or 8 hours of tedious, meticulous work. A larger scale, done right will probably take longer.
If you do it, we should talk more. I have trials and tribulations that I can relate to you to ease the pain.

R

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
a few months ago I threw away a bunch of black eggcrate I had bought on canal street, canal plastics $12/ 2x4 sheet fyi.
well I guess I can buy another sheet.

I was going to use black zip ties also.

I've tried drilling the rocks before, they have trashed every mason bit I have used. I don't know what my rock is made of but it sure does not like being drilled. It cracks before I can make a hole in it.

I'm anticipating two days of work ;)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
What size bit are you using? I used a 1/8" carbide tip. I also trashed a few pieces of LR in my learning curve. As I drilled, I learned how to find the 'sweet spot'.

I also used black cable ties. I was a dummy for not using the black eggcrate though :duh:

R

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i think i tried 1/4" bits, I don't remember what kind they were.

I just know they started smoking and turned a glowing bright red.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
i think i tried 1/4" bits, I don't remember what kind they were.

I just know they started smoking and turned a glowing bright red.

Did you use a Dremel? I thought they had 1/8" 'chucks'.
The key is to use low torque/high speed. Not low speed/high torque (like a standard 3/8" drill). And definitely a carbide tip. I'll see if I can locate my bit. I believe I spent about $8-$10 on a single bit. Quality bits work wonders.

R

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
John, are you using a dewalt hammer drill? That definitely makes a difference. Also you need to use masonry bits along with the hammer drill.

Steven

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jon, I would use a Dremel with a carbide tipped bit (I did, with great success). You'll have much more control.

A DeWalt or a hammer drill are great tools, wrong project though. You know as a master carpenter, right tool for the right job makes all the difference.

Tony, Tony, Tony.....I'll see what I can muster up. :lol:

R

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
TimberTDI said:
John, are you using a dewalt hammer drill? That definitely makes a difference. Also you need to use masonry bits along with the hammer drill.

Steven

it's not a hammer drill just a reg 1/2"

Russ I have a Dremmel but some of the rocks I want to drill through are pretty large, I'm not sure that dremmel makes a bit long enough. the bosch bits I got are about 7" long.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
it's not a hammer drill just a reg 1/2"

Russ I have a Dremmel but some of the rocks I want to drill through are pretty large, I'm not sure that dremmel makes a bit long enough. the bosch bits I got are about 7" long.

Jon, I didn't use a Dremel bit. I used a DeWalt 1/8" carbide tipped bit. No need to use Dremel bits, just the tool.

R

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: