masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Well gang, the time has finally come. I'm going to get this tank up and running and show pix to prove it. It will be a work in progress. Feel free to comment, and offer suggestions.

Here it is in its historical glory:

bowtank1.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to start. Starboard will be going down first:

tankbottombeforestarboard2.jpg

It is a bow front so the starboard had to be cut accordingly:

starboard3.jpg

starboardtrimmedforbow4.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
And in the tank:

Starboardinbottom5.jpg

Ready for some mechanicals. The pump on the right is my SEIO and the pump on the left is the Coralife Super Skimmer 65 pump, and left of the skimmer is the Stealth 50w heater:

6skimmerpumpseioheaterfromsideview.jpg

Close up of my modded SEIO mounting 'bracket' ....my rare earth magnets:

3seiomodwithsiliconedmagnets.jpg

Here's the skimmer, the SEIO and the Coralife MH HQI tank mount w/ 150w 20K DE bulb (I also bought the Pheonix 14K, just in case):

8lightskimmerseiounderMH.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
By now you're all probably saying what's this old man got up his sleeve. Where is he gonna fit a sheer rock wall in that tank, it's tiny!

Here's a few shots of the framework starting. First pic is just a shot of the raw material I used to begin the foundation, basic light diffuser from HD:

1uncutlightdiffuser.jpg

Here's a front shot of the light diffuser getting started, incomplete, front view:

unfinisheddiffuserfrontwithtankligh.jpg

Unfinished diffuser from the side. Notice the discharge of the SEIO is open in front (cut out grids):

unfinisheddiffuserfromsidewithtankl.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Here's the diffuser (framework) completed. Front view with tank lights only on:

finisheddiffuserfrontwithtanklights.jpg

Same angle with flash:

finisheddiffuserfromfrontwithflash.jpg

Side view:

finisheddiffuserfromside.jpg

So now can you see the reef wall developing? Come on, I know someone here has to have an imagination.
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Getting ready. Donna (the boss) would kill me without preparation. Tarp, towels (lots of them), LR with ph & heater, dremel, cable ties and my bad back .

TarpbucketwithLRdremelcabletiesblan.jpg

The puzzle pieces all laid out:

rockstillspreadoutonfloor.jpg

Couldn't wait till I was done, had to test it to see if it was coming along as expected. I wasn't overly pleased with what I saw:

unfinishedintankfrontview.jpg

Same unfinished, angled shot:

unfinishedtestintank.jpg

This is taking time mind you. My LR is sitting out for hours now. I'm not even sure if I have LR anymore or pretty base rock.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The wall just about complete, but not in tank. I'm crossing my fingers and saying some prayers that this puppy will fit.

unfinishedwalloutsideoftank.jpg

Here's the reef wall finished, with flash on (I don't like the tank pic with flash) = yuck

Finishedwallfrontwithflash.jpg

Reef wall with 20K MH:

Finishedwallfrontwithtanklights-nic.jpg

Side shot of reef wall. Bow tanks take pix from the side with double images. Examine the pic and you'll see what I mean:

Finishedwallsideview-dblimage.jpg

Starting to look a bit better to me now. It was a rough 7 - 8 hours doing it. My back wasn't cooperating and then to have the intermittent pix look the way they did, I was tempted to throw in the towel (all of them).

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Well here it is, finally!!!!! You wanted water:

ReefwalluplightsskimmerPHon.jpg

And after 5 minutes, my Coralife Super Skimmer 65 was doing its job:

skimmerpullingskimmateafter5minutes.jpg

Now to wait for the minor cycle. The majority of these rocks were curing for 6 - 8 weeks. There was another 7 or 8 lbs I just got that was uncured. So I know I'll have a minor cycle. Plus what died from being out of the water for 7 or 8 hours today has to cure now too.

Hopefully there is still some life in there. I'll be testing and anxious to start loading it up.

BTW, I am planning on a shallow sand bed, only about 2" or so. Just for looks.

Well there you have it folks. A long time in coming.

Russ feeling very much like the old man tonight!

Take care all, see you about noon tomorrow, when I roll out of bed.

Thanks for reading and looking at my monstrosity.
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks noodleman. When I was partially done, it looked awful to me. I wanted to quit, thinking what the heck am I trying to accomplish here. This entire project actually took me close to a year of planning in my 'minds eye'. I'm a slow thinker, lol.

Thanks again,
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
drunktank said:
y have starboard if u were just going to put 2inc of sand in.

IMO the rock wall isnt that great- where r the fishies gonna hide and sleep?

In a nano this size, there are only certain kinds of fish you can have. Many are sand dwellers. I didn't want to have either the fish or a powerhead 'unearth' the sandbed and have to look at the 'tempered glass' sticker or the ugly top of the stand. I figured looking at white starboard was a lot more eye appealing. Besides, it was cheap and quick to cut and install.

Only going to be one maybe two fish. It is going to be a heavy SPS tank, maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian or two.

Not everyone is going to like it. It is something I envisioned to be a nice biotype for my liking. I just wanted to share it with others.

Thanks for looking,
Russ

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
masterswimmer said:
In a nano this size, there are only certain kinds of fish you can have. Many are sand dwellers. I didn't want to have either the fish or a powerhead 'unearth' the sandbed and have to look at the 'tempered glass' sticker or the ugly top of the stand. I figured looking at white starboard was a lot more eye appealing. Besides, it was cheap and quick to cut and install.

Only going to be one maybe two fish. It is going to be a heavy SPS tank, maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian or two.

Not everyone is going to like it. It is something I envisioned to be a nice biotype for my liking. I just wanted to share it with others.

Thanks for looking,
Russ

Russ,
If its going to be a heavy SPS tank, I'd rethink the rock work and get more surface area for coral to grow on. JMO.
-Kris

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Masterswimmer, I think it's a neat idea. :icon16:
I like the clean look shielding the equipment...despite the potential issues of coral placement. Get some more branching rocks to resolve the coral placement issue but I'm sure you'll think of somethiing clever! Good job and keep us updated. :smokin:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Looks great!!! Only thing I can see that might be a problem is the space you have to place coral. The rocks look pretty flat against the back and that'll cause problems with one coral shading the other out. Just a thought. :D. Looks great otherwise.
-Kris

Thanks Kris. Actually every piece of 'rubble' is hand picked by me over the course of about 3 months. There are ledges and nooks and crannies all over the place to mount coral.....sps mostly. I will be putting the more light demanding coral up high and the less light demanding corals down low where the shadows will be. Not all sps is high light.

Thanks again, all feedback is welcome. It took me almost a year because I try to think of all the scenarios that might arise. I'm sure I've missed something. When I have a problem, that's when I'll probably smack myself on the forehead and call myself some choice names.

Noodleman, I hid the cable ties behind most of the rock. That's why I used a dremel. I used a 1/8" bit and drilled a small hole in about 65% of the backside of the rock to slip the cable ties through. The rest of the rock already had many holes in them, 'cable tie ready'. :)

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: