In regards to
8299a021.jpg
36_2_18.gif
!

In regards to
cd701869.jpg
36_1_1.gif
!!!!!!!!!

As to the carpet thing - if it were me I wouldn't leave the carpet under the tank. My reason is due to the eventual water leaks that I some how create.LOL With the occasional water spillage I'm thinking, and imagining all that nasty mold just loving the moisture, and growing like mad under the stand.
23_28_108.gif

Hurry up, and get this bad boy up now! I can't wait to see what you do with this monster!:meow:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
As to the carpet thing - if it were me I wouldn't leave the carpet under the tank. My reason is due to the eventual water leaks that I some how create.LOL With the occasional water spillage I'm thinking, and imagining all that nasty mold just loving the moisture, and growing like mad under the stand.
23_28_108.gif

Hurry up, and get this bad boy up now! I can't wait to see what you do with this monster!:meow:

i think i agree, thats what i was thinking just needed the motivation to move everything and get out the knife to cut it back.. so that'll be todays project, cut the carpet, get the tank on the stand,not break it, start the plumbing and get the water flowing bc its gonna take 6 days to fill this bad boy..

and man i cant wait to get this up and running:biglaugh:

any ideas for aquascaping??? i have soo much room and im sure the LR i have which made my 120 look crazy full will look like nothing in here, so i might have to get some nice big branching pieces to filler up!!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Sounds good, I don't like the blue overkill myself. But it does make the corals pop though. You gonna add some LEDs in the fixture? My new tank i'm thinking of adding a strip or 2 of blue/white mixed. Not anything crazy just some cheaper ones to help add the shimmer to the tank.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I love islands.lol High to low, then low to high to low, then low to high again is what I would do if I had a nice big tank like that.;) But that is what I would do if it were my tank. I'm sure you have your own idea as to how you would like it to look.:)
Hopefully your not one of the guys that likes the "Wall of Rocks" I see so much of.:dog2:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
no wall of rocks, i promise, i couldnt afford all the rock anyway, haha
i was thinking abt a curved like a horshoe shape with a small island in the center, with a desent size swimming area up top for fish and coral to grow up...

That sounds great!!!! Go for it!:flower: My center island in my 155 is sort of like a horse shoe.;)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
so that was the display area in my living room.. behind the wall is a closet with a space under the stairs.. there is a water line i tapped off of to hook up my ro unit..and i have 2 tanksboth 40g.. one is a custom king sump and the other is a 40g breeder i converted into a refugium.. im gonna be doing all of my filtration out of my sump..skimmer and the carbon/phosban reactors,uv sterilizer.. then it will drain from the sump to the fuge where my chaeto/pods will be growing happy.. then retun back to the display.. yes the sump will be set higher than the refugium..does anyone see any issues with this set up..

also i think i may use both bulkeheads in each overflow area as drains like a durso and just return over the top.. good bad?

Mike, I have an issue with that design setup. If you can possibly get the water to flow from your display > split it to go 1/2-3/4 to your sump/skimmer and the other 1/4-1/2 to the fuge, then have the fuge go to your sump/return pump that would be ideal. You really don't want the water to go from your skimmer to your fuge. The fuge is 'begging' for the dirtiest water from your system, not the cleanest.

Hope that was understandable :banghead:

Russ

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
gotcha but wouldnt that kill the whole idea of having your pods growing in your fuge and the getting sucked up into the skimmer when u go reverse? or am i just being dopey bc i havent had my coffee yet.. ill pm you my number, if you have time call me its easier to hear something than to read it..

and this is y i ask the BEST for their opinions before i do something dopey!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Motor, I like the Idea of running seperate lines from both sumps back to the tank. And in a normal fuge with a skimmer, the skimmer is always first so the pods do not get sucked into it and out of the system. Well a Sump with center fuge.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Motor, I like the Idea of running seperate lines from both sumps back to the tank. And in a normal fuge with a skimmer, the skimmer is always first so the pods do not get sucked into it and out of the system. Well a Sump with center fuge.

And the above bold is the difference. He's running separate sump and fuge. The dirtiest water should be running to the fuge.....not after it's been 'cleaned'.

Russ

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
russ, i planned it out like you said but i got a few technical issues.. im gonna split the drains so that i get flow into bot units seperatly abt 70/30 sump/fuge im just not sure if i should pump it from the fuge back to the sumps area where it gets pumped back up to the display or if theres a way where i dont need to pump it from the fuge to the sump? if i raised up the fuge and had someone drill it and had gravity help me..would that work and what size and how many bulkheads would i need.. man this can get overly involved, haha but im always up for a challenge ..

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
russ, i planned it out like you said but i got a few technical issues.. im gonna split the drains so that i get flow into bot units seperatly abt 70/30 sump/fuge im just not sure if i should pump it from the fuge back to the sumps area where it gets pumped back up to the display or if theres a way where i dont need to pump it from the fuge to the sump? if i raised up the fuge and had someone drill it and had gravity help me..would that work and what size and how many bulkheads would i need.. man this can get overly involved, haha but im always up for a challenge ..

that's the idea.... 2x1" bulkhead just about the water height you want for the level in the fuge. and pvc that to the sump bypassing the skimmer right into the return area.

one suggestion.....you have to calculate of how much water will the main tank drain into the sump when you shut everything down or the electricity goes out. off the top of my head, i think you will need a bigger sump.....
72x24x2=15ga. plus some water from the over flow and pipes~1-2 gal...to be safe, say you need room for 20 gal. for drainage.
a 40 gal. sump(assuming 36x18x14)...with the water level of at least 8" for the skimmer = 36x18x8=22+gal. that leaves less than 18 gal. to spare.....that's cutting kinda close.

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
hmmm... i have a spare 20g i can make it like a collection cup canister on a skimmer if the sump gets too full itll drain into the 20g.. i have alot of floor room but not alot of height in the clost area bc its under my stairs mid landing.. would that work? i know im getting rediculous with the multi tanks, but its what i have and fits the space nicely.. also where would the auto top off sit?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
that could work...just drill the sump near the top and add bulkheads (i like 2 of everything.....paranoid....lol) as an over flow into the 20.
but you'll have 3 levels
40 gal.fuge==>
...................ll
...................==>40 gal.sump<== 5 gal. top off
.................................ll
.................................==> 20 gal."overflow"

what type of top off are you planning? i don't like the float sitting in the sump and the ro/di top off directly into there. i rather have a separate container (even the 5 gal. salt bucket will do) with the float to control the amount ro/di coming in and pump the water into the sump....with the sensors sitting right in the sump. that way you can put the top off container any where since you're pumping in water...all you need is a maxijet 600 connected to a flexible hose and a top off system like this
http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
im in the process of building a kalkwasser reactor, which will be fed from the ro/di suply, then from ther i will have that hooked up to the top off, i also was gonna put it on a timer so itll only go one once a day for 20 min.. i think it should work, again im a lil paranoid abt running water when im not home so thats y i wana put a timer on it bc in 20 min it wint be enough to overflow my system.. i think..and i do have the autotopoff system dual solenoid

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
since you said you have no height to work with, the 20 gal. "over flow" can sit at the same level as the sump but the hose or the pvc that goes from the sump must be at least parallel if not lower when it gets to the 20 gal.

ring so that as the water level rises to critical capacity it flows out the bulkhead into the 20g reserve.. but it doesnt have to flow back i can manually fix that if it happens.. itll be like a lil water change..

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hmmmm...i don't use kalk. reactor so i don't know how that hooks up to the top off. does the kalk. reactor take care of the calcium level also?
i'm running aquamedic dosers for two parts....just bought a cal. reactor but haven't hook that up yet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: