motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ok so here we go again,
i bought the tank for one of our members drove almost 3 1/2 hrs to get it, but thats ok right? bc now instead of the 125g tank.. were going to the big boy tank!! lol so here the begining of the 220g build..
ok so well start with the 125 on the stand ooh pretty, but she leaked..
efa2890d.jpg

as i was trying to reseal it.. oops it got hung up on the bulkhead i thought i removed all of them.. guys please dont do what i did!!
8299a021.jpg

and on tho the new tank..
ef75ce61.jpg

i had to make my stand deeper so i framed out some 2x4s with some jack studs and sistered it to the rear of the stand, made my holes for the drains..
646a8cda.jpg

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
No wonder it was leaking, did you notice the big hole in the front lol. Sorry to hear that but at least you got to double up the size of tank pretty much. Hmm maybe I should try that????

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
so that was the display area in my living room.. behind the wall is a closet with a space under the stairs.. there is a water line i tapped off of to hook up my ro unit..and i have 2 tanksboth 40g.. one is a custom king sump and the other is a 40g breeder i converted into a refugium.. im gonna be doing all of my filtration out of my sump..skimmer and the carbon/phosban reactors,uv sterilizer.. then it will drain from the sump to the fuge where my chaeto/pods will be growing happy.. then retun back to the display.. yes the sump will be set higher than the refugium..does anyone see any issues with this set up..

also i think i may use both bulkeheads in each overflow area as drains like a durso and just return over the top.. good bad?

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
rick, i got a lil scraped up.. but im a big boy got a cool scar now.. coulda been worse.. i only pd 125$ for it.. so no big loss, if i actually pd full price for the starfire i woulda been upset, i laughed it off and drank a few beer with a friend!!

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
lol man i really like the tank but the depth was killing me.. the one i was upgrading from was 24 in deep the 125g was only 18in.. so now i got 24deep again.. the only thing im debating abt doing is:( i need everyones opinion)

DO I REMOVE THE CARPET FROM UNDER THE STAND AND SIT THE BAD DIRECTLY ON THE CONCRETE? SO THAT IF/WHEN I CHANGE THE CARPET I WONT HAVE OLD CARPED UNDER IT??

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thats a tough one. You gotta figure this, if you remove the carpet under it you won't have to worry about any spilled water creating mildew. On the other hand if you get new carpet and then decide to move the tank or break it down. The spot will have no carpet. Even if you do new carpet first the odds are it will be a lot cleaner looking under the tank than the rest of the house, no traffic or dirt getting under the tank.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
as far as? the layout? not yet..im thinking2 islands or like 2 side reefs and a seperate smaller one in the center.. not sure.. my lighting is 3/250watt metal halide and 4/36in pc
im doing 50/50s in the rear and attinics in the front ..also that space below in the stand its set up for a 40g breeder as a display, was thinking abt doing a low light setup.. and doing an angler tank..

rickytsui

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
as far as? the layout? not yet..im thinking2 islands or like 2 side reefs and a seperate smaller one in the center.. not sure.. my lighting is 3/250watt metal halide and 4/36in pc
im doing 50/50s in the rear and attinics in the front ..also that space below in the stand its set up for a 40g breeder as a display, was thinking abt doing a low light setup.. and doing an angler tank..
y not use vho for attinics since the bulbs last alot longer and cooler then pc . personly i dont like pc that much bulb alway crap out on you . i have a 180 with 3 250watt with nothin else but i am thinking about add some led for atcinics

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i owuld have uses t5s buut since the light system i got was all inculsive.. it was a unit so i didnt have much choice, for the price i got it for i coulnt have bought 1 250watt metal halide pendand..so i got pc's its ok tho bc on my fw tank i have pcs on a JBJ init with a similar combo and love the coloring.. i think on my lower tank im gonna do a t5 setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: