Status
Not open for further replies.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Tony,
Your gonna have an overflow box? If you do the most flow you could probably get out of it is 1200 gph with a dual 1inch box. If you don't and go with a 600gph overflow box that return split into three is gonna be basically nothing coming out of each one.

Also your going BB right? If you are your going to need to up the flow to keep all the detritus off the bottom and plus your rocks are probably going to continue to shed.

What powerheads/flow pumps are you thinking about getting for inside of the tank?
-Kris

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
right now i have 1 crap powerhead thats rated about 300gph and another one that is rated at 500-700 somewhere in between. im planning on gettin a strong pump so the head pressure wont be a problem. or if worse come to worse ill just do to returns with a Y split off.

deff. gonna get a seio eventually.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
So now you're starting off with a Softy 75g with a bare-bottom and an overflow box!?! What happened to 50lbs of sand to keep the goby happy? The more this thread develops, the more it unravels.

Like Kris said, softies won't do well in a high flow tank. The overflow box idea goes against the better judgment of many a reef tank owner (most say the box is destined to lose siphon and flood).

A Seio eventually?! You'll need FLOW immediately considering the plans you have now.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
lolz i no i no. deanos you always watchin out for me. eventually im meaning soon. but my main concern is buying my asm g3 so they the guys can have the cleanest water. then with the circulation i have right now i no will not be sufficient but ill get something to deal with it for now. thanks deanos. i no but this tank has to get done soon. thanks guys.

ohh the goby is gonna go back to the store to trade it for something i want or just to get store credit for when im ready.... i talked to him tonite he said no problem. so i can get something nice.. maybe 3 more blue hippo tangs lolz im just kidding....... :joke: NO MORE FISH I PROMISE....

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tony, I've got a few recommendations. However, if you would let me make just one and you take it to heart and run with it, I'd recommend DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE AN OVERFLOW BOX. You are begging for trouble. You have an empty tank. DRILL IT NOW. You can even drill it for your skimmer/overflow, return and a closed loop as well. A closed loop is recommended if you go with a BB.

I have other rec. but I will let you absorb the enormity of this one first. I HAVE NEVER MET A PERSON WITH AN OVERFLOW BOX THAT IS HAPPY ABOUT IT. Not sure if I've made myself clear about this. It is a bad idea.

Russ

BTW, for more color in your fish, a Royal Gramma is always nice.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i totally understand about the overflow. if there is someone here that will drill my tank for me for free then ill do it that way. well i would supply beer and pizza. if there are any takers for that. this would be greatly appreciated. other then that i wanna see how things go with the clown fish, blue hippo tang, and yellow tang. this tank is going to be majority sps within time not right away. i plain on adding 2 250 watt 14000k MH... so that should be sufficient for a 75 gallon.

and thanks to everyone who has given me these great rec....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ok guys been thinking about it and i need someone to please drill my tank. anyone could help me out would be great. pizza and beer while we are working on it. i would try it myself but i would prob. mess up the whole tank.... anybody down for drilling a 75 gallon 1/2"glass. i need 2 holes drilled for 1" bulkheads. someone or anyone please help me out here....

also for the cuttingboard hows this

http://thecuttingboardfactory.com/M...oduct_Code=SPECIAL437-24048&Category_Code=6SP

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tony, any local glass shop should drill those holes for you. We pay $20 per hole in this neck of the woods.

I know you want the 48" cutting board. And that one looks great. But how are you going to fit one long 48" piece into your tank with the bracing in the middle?

I think two 18" x 24" would work better. I got mine from a place that is less expensive than the one you're looking at:

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/cuttingboards.asp?id=3

Russ

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Tony, any local glass shop should drill those holes for you. We pay $20 per hole in this neck of the woods.

I know you want the 48" cutting board. And that one looks great. But how are you going to fit one long 48" piece into your tank with the bracing in the middle?

I think two 18" x 24" would work better. I got mine from a place that is less expensive than the one you're looking at:

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/cuttingboards.asp?id=3

Russ

Definately with the center brace its pretty much mission impossible pt. 7 to get it into the tank.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
lolz it can take over all it wants. i love the color and i have a crap load of that to all over my glass. and i dont mind looking at it... so when ya comming over to help kris lolz. dont worry i wont make you drink beer, ill have soda

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
here is a updated pic on the 75 gallon drawing on how i want it to be...

to start off this is what im gonna have....

70- 80lbs of live rock..
marina board (WHITE)
1 tunze 6060
1 overflow 600gph
1 800 - 900 gph return with a flow valve... i figure with the y splitter and 2 end returns the 800 or 900 gph should be enough.
2 powerheads one at each bottom end of the tank. to lift off the remaining crap to get skimmed out..
-lighting 200 watts CF. Extra 40 Watt NO floures. 40 Watt daylight...already have these units might as well use em..
-Asm g3 skimmer.
-20 or 30 gallon sump. with possible refugium.
-stealth 250 watt heater. already have purchased for heating up rodi water.

i think im forgetting something..

future plans after tank is setup

-lighting will be upgraded with a month or so after 75 gallon is up.. will be purchasing to start off 1 250 watt retro MH kit 13000k bulb. then down the line ill purchase the 2nd one..
-calcium reactor

Ill add more stuff when i remember...

when its all said and done and tank is complete there will be a gathering for free drinks and food. for MR.com REefers. you can look at it as a tank warming.. lolz.

Attachments

• plans1 75 gallon.bmp
    699 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: