ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well, as i mentioned before on my biocube thread, i wanted to set up a new tank since i got rid of my 72bow and i know a few people said they were excited to see how this turns out since i have been giving hints and peaks of it. Well yesterday was finally the day to start filling!

Tank:
i got the tank maybe 3-4 months ago from TIM on here. its a 46gallon bow front with stand and canopy made by Pro Clear Aquatics. TIM cut the back of the tank and made overflows for me. i ended up putting a strainer on the left side, and a dual loc-line return pipe for the return line. ended up looking great. here is a stock pic of the tank.

12569_400wh-1.jpg

Filtration:
I knew my filtration Set-Up was going to be a pain in the neck because the dementions of the stand are only 9 inches wide. So, i had to get a custom tank made for my stand. I ended up building everything from scratch. From Custom Aquatic Acrylics, they made me a acrylic tank with the measurments of 25x9x17. Now i knew i would not be able to fit much in this, so i figured i would have to primairly consist my filtration of a great skimmer. so i ended up picking my Bubble~Magus Nac 7. This skimmer is amazing. i had it for awhile on my olf tank and this was the best skimmer i have ever purchased.

7b18f3d0.jpg

i ended up making a really simple sump layout. it consists of a filter sock assembly kit i silicones and drilled right into the acrylic sump, then i put a filter sock in place. Under the filter sock i got a pump going into my PM huge reactor filled with carbon, chemi-pure, phos-ban and a few pads. Followed by a baffle is my Nac 7 and the return line of the PM Reactor, a Baffle, and my mag drive 5. here is the thread to building my sump.

zzzzzz.jpg

the only downfall was that the skimmer BARELY fit into sump because the pump on the skimmer was only 1/4 inches away from the wall on the sump. i mentioned this on another thread i made recently located here. i ended up choosing the hard way, but worked great i think. i drilled a hole on the bottom front side of the sump where the inlet of the pump to the skimmer is and siliconed a cylinder shaped contrainer in its spot so the wall is extended out an additional 3 inches so the skimmer pump has plenty of room to suck water in freely. i think it will work much better this way even though it looks a little rigged lol.

d7e68612.jpg

cc69d7ae.jpg

here is the PM reactor i have hooked up to it as well.

52e73a67.jpg

Light Fixture and Canopy:

For my light fixture i think i did a pretty good job. i ended up picking a 4 bulb t-5 fixture with 1 single 250w metal halide. its my first metal halide fixture. kinda excited. i changed out the metal halide bulb to a phenoix 14k, and a back up 20k. the t-5 bulbs i changed and put a fugi pink, ATI blue Plus, Geissman powerchrome actinic, and a coralife 420 Purple actinic. The combo looks awesome because im more of the purple tint fan rather then blue. perfect combo i think. the fixture also has 8 2-watt leds. i felt that was not enough, so i ended up picking up a IceCap 36Inch Actinic Led Strip and mounted it right to the fixture. Looks much better now, but i think im going to pick up another one.

611f8dad.jpg

7be9996d.jpg

8e0d224a.jpg

5ee375e7.jpg

01700266.jpg

the canopy was a big issue. seeing this fixture was so large and barely fit on top of the tank, i ended up having to hack it up. i had to cut the side of the canopy to reach the switches, and cut the entire back of the canopy and have the light stick out the back a bit. i also cut the top out and put 3 4-inch holes where the fans are located on the fixture. even though it looks a little rigged i dont care, it worked.

f3db14de.jpg

7db70717.jpg

Finished Tank Filling up:

yesterday i finally started filling the tank. i did not make enough r/o water though so it did not get completely filled, but will finish filling today. i ended up picking black sand because all my tank i used black sand and always had great luck with it. here are a few pics so far...

my piping set up...

b5c320fd.jpg

Just t-5's...

1cd79b98.jpg

Just metal Halide... (ignore the big shadow in the middle of the tank, its only because its not filled all the way)

0ff4cb08.jpg

Every Light Turned On, Finished Set up...

c13a50b5.jpg

im going to finish setting it up today and will post some more finished pictures up later. let me know what you guys think! all comments will be much appreciated!

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
lenny- thanks man. so far as of stocking list is going to be very simple for fish. fish will not be added for quite some time, but im thinking only 3-4 fish. 2 clowns, maybe a rare fairy wrasse and some odd ball. for coral i want to go all out with this. this will be my first real sps tank. i have 3-4 sps in my bio cube but the bio cube is more of a mixed reef. this tank i want alot of sps, lps, and some crazy zoas and ect... im thinking of having it real organized. whole corner for acans, top left for simple sps, top right for rare sps, frag racks all around for frags, ect... but we will see i change my mind alot lol.

dagreatbadfinger- yes the mh is right above the brace, and yes it does get hot. so far i only turned the MH on for pics. i am scared about that bad, im trying to lift the fixture higher up and might put a reflector around the bar or something. not sure yet, but dont worry im not leaving the mh bulb on until i figure it out.

tosiek- yes the brace already is bothering me lol. i hate it with a passion. i made a recent thread locared here about removing it. sucks because i dont know what to do. i want to just add acrylic braces all around it and cut the main brace but people feel it still would not be safe. i really have to figure this out because its definetly not safe, i know. and VERY ANNOYING!!! i love the black sand too. so many people are against it but i love it. i dont like haw. black by caribsea. i used caribsea "super natural" sand and it worked great and i love it. i might add another bag just for extra support for the rock. but i love the black too. thanks

any other ideas for this brace thing would really help! i hate it and dont trust it. i got the brace and the mh bulb around 6 inches above it, but the bar still gets really hot. and i cant left it anymore or it will hang out of the canopy and would like crap. does anyone think drilling acrylic bars into the top and removing the brace? id even be willing to drain the tank to do it because i HATTTTTE it.

anyway, thanks guys for the few comments. just tested the water and its currently cycling. everything seemed to be going good so far...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: