DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Downgraded from my 40 gallon cube to a 12 gallon nano and the 2nd night the heater overheated and killed all my fish and corals.
EVERYTHING IS GONE except some of my cuc. The worst part is that I was so excited to have this little tank since all my nice zoas looked great in it and made it look full.

Now, every single piece is dead.

Starting this one over from scratch with nothing but a few snails and a hermit crab.

Pics to follow and unsure of livestock plans

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
That is awful, I am so sorry for your losses!
Heaters...about the most dangerous piece of equipment on our tanks :(

When you are ready - I will bring you a sweet zoa or two Coop.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
Dame doc I know the feelin had somehing almost like that happen to me fortunately for me it was jus livestock but I wish u luck on the new setup

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Dame doc I know the feelin had somehing almost like that happen to me fortunately for me it was jus livestock but I wish u luck on the new setup

Thank you for the wishes! Sucks cause got the 12 gallon for my 2 clownfish and all my corals and now blahhh

live and learn! got a new quality heater from saltwater critters so keeping my fingers crossed on this one

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Crossing our fingers too Coop. By the time the swap rolls around you'll be cycled, matured and ready to rock. Make sure you hit us up. We'd like to get a nice zoo in there for you as well (donated to the cause, of course :biggrin: )

Good luck
Russ

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry for your loss. A lesson learned the hard way. Get a controler for your heater and it will not happen the next time. Good luck w/the rebuild....

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Coop - we have some tubs blues or yellow brick roads for you're restart - like Russ said, hit us up for the swap - we'll hook you up.

Sorry for the losses.

House

Crossing our fingers too Coop. By the time the swap rolls around you'll be cycled, matured and ready to rock. Make sure you hit us up. We'd like to get a nice zoo in there for you as well (donated to the cause, of course :biggrin: )

Good luck
Russ

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Sorry for your loss. A lesson learned the hard way. Get a controler for your heater and it will not happen the next time. Good luck w/the rebuild....

+1

I'm sorry to hear about this Dr. Cooper. I would agree with Tim and suggest the 99$ for a reef keeper lite as a controller that can also act as a timer and do some other cool stuff. It is WELL worth the investment and peace of mind. I got mine from Russ and Jim and it was at my house the next day. Perhaps they can give you a hardship discount ;).

James

Last edited:

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I did get a new quality heater from Russ and Jim so happy with my purchase. It was a stealth heater then malfunctioned on me btw for people curious.

I am currently just doing water changes and water is testing good now but giving the tank time to just be empty and happy. I am not removing the zoas that havent opened in a week because simply hoping they will open but who knows.

Also, researching livestock ideas as I may do a goby / pistol shrimp pair which I have had in the past and loved or a mated pair of yellowhead jawfish or who knows. Would love a small angler but will get too big for the tank. Any ideas are always appreciated!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Coop, those Wartskin Anglers are super cool fish. Keeping it in a small 12g is inappropriate though. I would like to be able to say go for it, but it goes against my better judgement.

I love the goby/pistol pair. Specifically I like the Yasha Haze Goby. Sweet looking fish.

Russ

Thanks, that was what I thought but wanted to check! I had a yasha haze pistol shrimp pair so will try a different type of goby if go that route.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
:( Sorry to hear it. I'm afraid the best I can offer is an Anthelia frag for your reboot. Pistol shrimp / goby pairs are awesome - from what I can tell, you can't go wrong there.

Good luck!

Thanks man!

I really appreciate everyone even offering me a frag from their collection.
Hopefully can make it to the next swap and start my collection over

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Was hoping some of my corals would turn around but it is official. EVERYTHING is gone. i just removed all the frags as they are just decomposing.
Sad stuff to not have a single thing left!

will do bunch of water changes and then see what happens and what I decide on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: