roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok so i'm going to try my hand at a tank build thread. I decided to mod my current usa cardiff. First i will remove the rear chamber. I'll be using a couple of scalpels i got from work and a utility knife. Doing my best not to cut through the seals.

Attachments

• My cardiff mod 003.jpg
    My cardiff mod 003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 467
  • My cardiff mod 005.jpg
    My cardiff mod 005.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 464
  • My cardiff mod 006.jpg
    My cardiff mod 006.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
cardiff mod

Now i will be leak testing to make sure i didn't cut the seal anywhere.
And it passed.

Attachments

• My cardiff mod 012.jpg
    My cardiff mod 012.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks Russ my plan is to drill the back for a 1" drain and a 3/4 return. install a sump.
which means i will be moding the stand also. As u my know for some reason or another current thought that the stand will be better off without access to the inside. I had the stand opened already but with the weight of the water in the tank it compresses the door and won't allow it open. I'm going to try and install more support without limiting the space for a small sump

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Sounds good Stan. Be real careful with the stand mod. If the door doesn't open, that means it is moving, shifting and settling. Any of those movements can cause stress on the stand and possibly cause stress on the tank too. Would hate to hear that it fails and spills some salt water on your floor ;)

R

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Now for drilling the tank, first the 1"

Attachments

• My cardiff mod 017.jpg
    My cardiff mod 017.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 469
  • My cardiff mod 019.jpg
    My cardiff mod 019.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 461
  • My cardiff mod 021.jpg
    My cardiff mod 021.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok for anyone that might be interested i moded the stand to give me accessibility to the inside of stand and hopefully add some kind of sump.
Also drilled my 3/4 return and started some plumbing.And install the overflow. Inside the stand is minimum space i won't be able to install a 10g like i wanted to.So was wondering if i can use a small rubber maid. But without baffles how will i stop micro bubbles. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tank thresd continued 001.JPG
    tank thresd continued 001.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 462
  • tank thresd continued 002.JPG
    tank thresd continued 002.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 461
  • tank thresd continued 003.JPG
    tank thresd continued 003.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 461
  • tank thresd continued 004.JPG
    tank thresd continued 004.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 458

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Dude, really sharp looking setup. Couple of recommendations:

1 - please don't ever use the ball valve on the overflow to adjust the flow out of the tank. Your overflow should always be unrestricted.

2 - If you can take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the shape of the available space inside the stand, you can get a custom acrylic sump made to fit inside the stand. This way you can get baffles, return pump chamber, maybe a fuge section, filter sock, etc.

Really nice job so far.

swimmer

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
its good to finally see that stand being used. Its still gonna be tight under there, you might try some rubber maid container for the sump, Like I have and put the out put of the skimmer througha sock ... no bubbles in my tanks,just keep the return pump inlet as low as you can, a proper sized skimmer for a seahorse tank shouldnt run to hard that you cant control the out put from foaming your sump. no bubble king needed on this tank

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok i will be adding a valve on the return for sure for pump maintenance. What size return
do you guys recommend. I have a few stored away but i'm afraid they might be to strong
Being that i want to have the seahorses i don't want for it to be to strong.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ok i will be adding a valve on the return for sure for pump maintenance.

Good move!

What size return do you guys recommend.

Depends upon what size overflow you're running. The physics of plumbing is that a 1" overflow can handle up to 600 gph. Not that I'm recommending a 600 gph flow (seahorses should be low flow like you said), but that would be the maximum.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: