masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
LC, even on the verge of falling asleep I was able to make it through your most recent segment, even if it did focus around Jeff :rolleyes: lol It was OBVIOUSLY your writing that kept me in tune and not totally 'out of focus' and passed out.

Keep up the great work, duly impressed here.

:lol_large

R

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
New Custom Sump!

Laurie,

Hello. Thanks for the compliments on your new sump. Glad to hear that you like it. I can't wait to see your tank set up. I'll be back shortly to see the tank up and running and also to deliver the other project of yours so hurry up and fill it up :lol2: Thanks again for the opportunity to work with you and ENJOY the new sump.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Im assuming the other project is a frag tank.

I have designed and built a few different sumps for my tank and my next upgrade will def include a custom king sump.

Good guess! Yep, it's a frag tank. I'm going to plumb it into the system between the sump and display fuge. It won't be big, but enough to grow out a few things. I highly recommend Custom King. So easy to work with, really knows his stuff, on time, very fair price. I'm really happy I decided to have him make it rather than use the 55G. It's so much nicer and better use of space than what I could have done on my own. We are very lucky to have him in the group.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
btw i take care of my friends Briard when they go away on business they are awsome dogs

They are THE BEST. Aslan will be 11 in Jan. I've had her since she was 6/7 weeks old. Husband got a girl and a dog! While I've been building my tank, we've been having a bit of a health crisis with her. She was diagnosed with Melanoma in Oct. We took her to the Animal Medical Center in NYC--top notch, amazing place! They got her into surgery right away to remove the tumor and the lymph node in her shoulder. We were on pins and needles waiting to find out the prognosis through all of this as Melanoma is very aggressive. We found out Monday that the lymph node was clear and they got good margins on the tumor, so a huge relief!! She is recovering and the prognosis is very good. She is getting Melanoma vaccines for the next couple of weeks and her paw is healing. She's been stuck in one of those cones for a bit and not too pleased about that, but putting up with it. Last night I had her on the floor next to me while I worked on my plumbing. It's hilarious how she'll watch what I'm doing. I read somewhere that dogs are fascinated by hands. Weird, but she definitly watches what I'm doing.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I use aqualog. It is free and for those of us who prefer a computer log as opposed to a notebook (I can barely read my own handwriting). :)

http://www.joejaworski.com/aqualog/

I downloaded this log. What a nifty little program. Really, very, very cool...

I do use a hand written log for years. Puts mine to shame, how easy it is....

Now, I have to put in my handwritten log to use it....LOL...

Thanks for the info...

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hurry Up and Wait

Ah, I'm at a standstill all because of a 3/4" wye! PVC is near impossible to get in Manhattan because it is not allowed by building code--apparently the cement is considered toxic. Once the 3/4" wye arrives, I'll be able to cement everything and get going again. I also ordered a Maggie Muffler to use in place of a durso on my drain. Will be very interesting to see if it is a silent as the site claims.

http://maggiemuffler.com/

I was tempted to get the hot pink one, but went with the black. If it's really great--maybe I'll get a few colors to switch out for the holidays. Just kidding!

Frustrating to be so close and yet so far from being done. In the meantime, I ran some more RODI, did my water change and have my testing vials soaking in white vinegar for their once a month cleaning. One thing, I've been really happy I did was that I took a permanant marker and marked every vial, syringe, top, etc. with "ph," "A," "Ni" etc. and now I just keep everything in a tupperware container. Makes it really easy to find the right pieces for each test kit and has made testing faster.

I've also added a few creatures to the tank. The corals come from Funkmaster. Thank you!!! And the Sea Hare comes from Manhattan Aquarium. I watched this guy for quite some time in the store. Maybe the most unattractive, but fascinating addition to the tank. Love those rabbit-like "ears" Very personalble creature.

Attachments

• IMG_5783.jpg
    IMG_5783.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5781.jpg
    IMG_5781.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5785.jpg
    IMG_5785.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5788.jpg
    IMG_5788.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 150
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
I know what you mean. I been curing rocks for three weeks scrubing rocks!! lol finally got the plumbing done still have to glue it together. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to work on it some more. But I should have some goodies coming in this week so Im goin to be happy scrubbing rocks lol. :D

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I know what you mean. I been curing rocks for three weeks scrubing rocks!! lol finally got the plumbing done still have to glue it together. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to work on it some more. But I should have some goodies coming in this week so Im goin to be happy scrubbing rocks lol. :D

What did you get?? Rock scrubbing is the worst!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I made a cover for mine to keep the algae from taking over inside it.

I used a piece of opaque black plastic and cut it and sanded it to fit over the whole over flow. I highly recommend that as it keeps fish from jumping in also.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I made a cover for mine to keep the algae from taking over inside it.

I used a piece of opaque black plastic and cut it and sanded it to fit over the whole over flow. I highly recommend that as it keeps fish from jumping in also.

Brilliant idea!!!!! I am going to do that. btw, I was going to order my muffler, but I just emailed Maggie Muffler to see if they'd do a group buy. Worth checking. If so, I'll talk to mods and post

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
When I added me sea hare ,, i loved him ,, it got to the point where inhad no hair algae left ,, and I was hand feeding him sea weed ,, too bad I had to pass him along to the next person who needed him to do work ,, he will be done in my friends tank soon and then movin on to rkaragozler's tank

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The best way to keep sea hares living. When they run out of hair algae they will slowly starve to death.
When they die they release toxins into the tank that can cause a crash.

Be careful with yours Laurie

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
also they may wander on to the power head and get stuck.

that's what happened to mine....i came home to a violet/fuchsia tank. apparently it released some purple looking ink......i immediately did a 50% water change and hook up a fluval 405 with poly pad and carbon to take all the toxin out.... changed the carbon and poly pad out every day.....did another 50% water change the next day and 25% every other day for two weeks......luckily i didn't loose anything but it stunk up the room for awhile.

always a good idea to keep a large canister filter (like a fluval 405- rated at 340 gph....that thing will go though your tank volume in less than half an hour) with carbon and poly pad handy in case of an emergency.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: