Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
bizzarro said:
Wouldn't a 45 degree elbow or a T fitting silenced the noise w/o having to spend whatever that costs?

LaurieC said:
I think it will take up a lot less space. I made my durso this weekend to use while I await the muffler and that durso is huge! Plus it's white PVC so it really stands out, even in the overflow box.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You could try to find a street 90 degree and that is smaller than a reg. 90 degree. Don't know about a 45 degree working or not, the angle might not work out.

On the Sea Hare, I read about the purple ink. From what I read this happens when the Sea Hare is harrassed or scared--it is a neuro reaction, so it doesn't happen everytime they die. I suspect Tomtooth's poor Sea Hare released the toxin because of being sucked onto the powerhead. If it had just died because of starvation, I doubt the ink would have appeared. I'm growing Gracellreai (spelling?) and feeding it to the Hare--that is what they are often kept on in captivity. The Sea Hare is munching away on it. It then poops these crazy neon orange poops that are not so cute. But something in the tank is eatting the poop because they dissappear. Ah the eco cycle! And my tang loves the macro algea too. Thank you for the advice on the carbon filter on hand--that is a really good idea. I have one TLF filter set up with carbon now waiting on the 90 Gallon so in emergency, I could use that I suppose. Then when I switch over, I have an Eheim canister filter I can use as back up and get some carbon for it. I've been thinking about what to do with my canister filters, skimmer, etc. on the current 55 once I switch over--I think I've just found the answer: back up!

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
yes ! keep things as back ups you never know when you need them again. i just cleaned out a few months ago i had things from my very first set up lol. i was forced to clean it up lol girlfriend is one tuff cookie! lol shes makes me keep my buckets away hidden even when im in the over night stage :( lol.

i cant say! (my goodies) i promise i will post pics lol ;)

i have never dealt with hares or nudis for the same reason- very interesting creatures but too much risk involved.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
the only people that knows is russ & jim lol :D

if it's coming from russ/jim, we'll see it soon 'cause they get the shipment to you in two days....:lol_large

on another note....i notice you have a sro3000 on a 60 cube.....a bit much no???
i just got a sro xp-3000 external for my 270-290 gal. system....was told that's the correct size by a "sro club expert" on reef central.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
It then poops these crazy neon orange poops that are not so cute. But something in the tank is eatting the poop because they dissappear.

lol....neon orange poop....:Yikes:

Thank you for the advice on the carbon filter on hand--that is a really good idea. I have one TLF filter set up with carbon now waiting on the 90 Gallon so in emergency, I could use that I suppose. Then when I switch over, I have an Eheim canister filter I can use as back up and get some carbon for it. I've been thinking about what to do with my canister filters, skimmer, etc. on the current 55 once I switch over--I think I've just found the answer: back up!

redundancy and back up......i have spare of everything....yes everything.....those who have seen my basement and the "fish closet and bathroom" can attest to that....lol

Last edited:

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
tomtooth, I think you cursed my Sea Hare! I woke up this morning and the poor thing was sucked into the intake of my skimmer (I have a HOB skimmer until I move tanks). I turned off the skimmer and tried to coax it off with some gracelleria, but it didn't move. I tried to remove it by hand, but it was stuck fast. I took the strainer off the skimmer and moved it and the Sea Hare into a little hang on the tank acclimator box. No purple ink in the tank, but in looking at the filter, part of the Sea Hare's body/skin is woven into the teeth of the strainer. I'm not sure if it is dead or still just stuck. I'm afraid to try to pry it out because I'm afraid, I'll tear it's skin. I put some gracelleria in with it in hopes that maybe it will relax and become unstuck on it's own, if still alive. I am so sad. But now, even if he's alive, I'm afraid to put him back in my tank. If he's alive I think he's going back to the LFS. I feel terrible:(

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
tomtooth, I think you cursed my Sea Hare! I woke up this morning and the poor thing was sucked into the intake of my skimmer (I have a HOB skimmer until I move tanks). I turned off the skimmer and tried to coax it off with some gracelleria, but it didn't move. I tried to remove it by hand, but it was stuck fast. I took the strainer off the skimmer and moved it and the Sea Hare into a little hang on the tank acclimator box. No purple ink in the tank, but in looking at the filter, part of the Sea Hare's body/skin is woven into the teeth of the strainer. I'm not sure if it is dead or still just stuck. I'm afraid to try to pry it out because I'm afraid, I'll tear it's skin. I put some gracelleria in with it in hopes that maybe it will relax and become unstuck on it's own, if still alive. I am so sad. But now, even if he's alive, I'm afraid to put him back in my tank. If he's alive I think he's going back to the LFS. I feel terrible:(

i'm not only just a dentist, i'm also a voodoo witch doctor. if you want the curse removed, you need to make an offering with ora acro frags.....lol.

seriously though, i'm sorry to hear about "shrek"(that's what my kids called ours---with the ears and we had a greenish one). i hope he makes it. *fingers crossed*

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
RIP Sea Hare

Sadly the Sea Hare didn't make it. He never removed himself from the skimmer intake filter and about 4 pm the acclimation box I had him in was filled with purple ink. When I was sure he was dead, I took him out and he was practically glued to the filter:( He reminded me of Dumbo. They are really neat creatures, but don't belong in a tank with intake filters for sure and I'm very relieved that I didn't get toxic purple ink in my tank! I still ran the carbon filter on the tank just in case and rinsed the intake filter with white vinegar before putting it back in the tank. I don't believe I'll be adding another sea hare to my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_5792.jpg
    IMG_5792.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5793.jpg
    IMG_5793.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 118

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Wow. I always feel like crap when something like that happens.
Especially if it is something you spend time watching. Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often for me.

I have some of those eagle eyes fragged whenever you want to trade for that macro.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Mea Culpa!!

where are the pics of my corals??? :irked:

You are right I am so sorry! I got home and got distracted with the build itself. I got the most outstanding chalice's and setosa from nycpassat. After PMing we discovered we worked around the corner from each other! I brought the corals back to my office and kept them warm on the grate in my office. It was one of the first cold days and I didn't have a cooler or any of those nifty handwarmer things, but drawing upon lessons from Girl Scouts, I decided to put the corals in a bag around my neck, next to my body, under my coat to keep warm for the trip home. It's the first time anyone gave up a seat to me on the subway. Clearly, they thought I was pregnant. lol! I got home and acclimated the coral to the tank. I first had them on my frag rack and they looked great, but after a week, they didn't seem as colorful, so I moved them lower in my tank where they now seem really happy. They are just hanging out as is everything else in my jumbled 55G until the move to the 90G. Which I swear is going to happen ANY DAY NOW. REALLY.

I'm reworking the dry fit and cementing PVC tonight. I was all ready to do it earlier in the week, but was stumped by opening the can of cement. The primer opened no problem--in fact I unfortunatly spilled some on the lovely hardwood floor and even though I wiped it up in a flash, it still took some of the varnish off the floor. Strong stuff! I went to Home Depot tonight where it took four guys and a big vice grip wrench to open the can of cement!

I'm sorry, my photos of the chalices are not better. I'm still learning. They are spectacular--like silk--subtle shades that ripple across them. Really, really pretty. Can't wait to see them grow and I've become a chalice fan now for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_5681.jpg
    IMG_5681.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5682.jpg
    IMG_5682.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5690.jpg
    IMG_5690.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5692.jpg
    IMG_5692.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5693.jpg
    IMG_5693.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5807.jpg
    IMG_5807.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5808.jpg
    IMG_5808.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5810.jpg
    IMG_5810.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 112

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: