rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Tanks coming along, filled with fresh water right now (long leak test) as I don?t want to dump the water into the street with the low temps; unless the neighbors really want a skating rink. As soon as we get a nice day, at least above freezing I?ll drain the it and start the RO fill.

I?m a little confused, those holes are from the return pump? How did you account for back drain if the power goes out? Or are you dropping a Tunze in the overflow?

Joe the holes are going to be hooked up to the main return pump, I will t off the line coming in and bring it all the way to the top with a hole drilled into it for a siphon break.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
The clearance is only 14", I was thinking going with 4 luminarc reflectors that are 14.5x14.5x6.5 running at 250 watts. I have 3 already brand new that i am using but at 400 watts.
lol I was saying halides in the 1st place..you think the 250's will be strong enough though? If anything maybe 2 400's with the biggg reflectors and some T5 or LED strips for actinic/moonlighting. What do you think? Either way if you're doing halides I think you are better with 2 big reflectors instead of 3 small ones.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i am assuming the dimensions are 96x36x30??? you have 14" to the ceiling or 14" under a canopy--if you're planning on a canopy.

a couple of issues i see

1. imo...14" from the top of the tank is barely enough height--the bottom of the mogul bulb is about 4-5" from the top of the reflector, that give you 9-10" above water surface.....if you have any splashes at all, the bulbs could explode. also it would leave you about 6-7" clearance to work in the tank, you may burn your arm....unless you design a light rack that can be moved out of the way. as a reference, the top of my reflectors are 23" above water surface, the bulbs are about 16" and i see dried salt spots on the bulbs all the time. i think the recommendation for halide bulbs are at least 10-12" above the water surface.

2. 30" depth--250's probably not gonna cut it..... i have 400's on my 27" height.

3. if you go with 4x mini's, the length will be fine but the mini's won't cover the 36" width....you would need to supplement with at least 4x48 vho's or t5's.

just my $0.02

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
wow richie, im just catching myself up on the pics and the progress looks amazing. Did you do a leak test? i would always recommend a leak test on a resealed tank. and as of the lighting situation i would say 400 watt hqi's with t5 ho actinics because 250's are for 24 inches and less. let me know if you need any help, if im home from school il be glad to help out

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Day 60
Tank filled up, water test, Passed.
I picked up the tub from bbreef240, to give to Fishluva513.
I hope you don't mind me using it Fishluva513. lol it came in real handy.
I am in the process of plumbing my DT, to this tank, as soon as I get my salt mixed in their.
I figured it would make the transfer of coral a lot easier next week.
filling1.jpg

filling2.jpg

filling3.jpg

allfilledup.jpg

bulkheads.jpg

valves.jpg

Last edited:

bbreef240

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
didn't take you long to find a use for that container richie...lol....you filled that thing up fast...i woke up this morning and another fish died ...i dont get it ...i have done evrything in my power..this has never happened to me before...right out of the blue..im making more water now ....im going to do a 200 gallon water change next week....your tank is looking great...keep up the good work buddy....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: