mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Getting back into reefing. Been about 8-10 yrs since my last (30gal reef). I've had this 54 corner for about 7 yrs as a FOWLR.

54 corner
CSS skimmer
Current t5 4x24w
16 gal bow sump
100micron sock on outflow
Rio 2100 return pump
2 Aqueon 700's upfront
Power sweep behind rock
imag0032.jpg

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
nice setup. are the clowns and anemone the only inhabitants? with the rock wall against the back you may have a detritus build up behind it in the corner, a well placed powerhead should remedy the problem a bit.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Skunk clown, Tomato clown, Anemone, and a Melanarus Wrasse.

I have a powersweep powerhead behind the rock on the lower right.

The rock is only touching glass along the left side and very top. Most of it is supported by branch rock in the back.

sal-1.022
ph- 8.2
phos-0
nitrate-20-40 (depending on test kit. high either way)
cal-500
dkh-9

Been fighting nitrate since i moved the tank 2 weeks ago. Got a new RO/DI on the way.

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
looks good, i like the second layout much better!! just an observation, but how deep is the tank? it seems from the pic that the light fixture is high off the water line may not get good light penetration to the deeper parts expecially to the corners along the edge of the light radius.. what type of corals are you planning on keeping?

did you get your nitrates down?

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
looks good, i like the second layout much better!! just an observation, but how deep is the tank? it seems from the pic that the light fixture is high off the water line may not get good light penetration to the deeper parts expecially to the corners along the edge of the light radius.. what type of corals are you planning on keeping?

did you get your nitrates down?
Tank depth is 20" light is 10" above water. Wasnt sure what height to set it at, it's adjustable. Any suggestions?

Still working on the nitrates, new RO/DI was supposed to be here fri, but looks like ups will bring it tommorow. Going to do a good size water change, and go from there.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
7-10in should be fine.. start where you are and se how things do and then move it down an inch for a week and see and so on...good luck.. and again the 10in may be fine.. all depends on coral and the light spread.. if its higher itll reach out further but not have the intensity...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: