allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Getting Ideas from your planning

I just read your process as I am preparing to upgrade my 90 gallon to a 180 gallon mixed reef tank. Your transfer looked so smooth until vacation. Fortunately my only plan for vacation time right now is to get the new tank and transfer my current inhabitants over. Am sorry for your losses. I love this board for all the help folks give to one another. Wish we had a more active group up here in the Albany area. Im hoping to pick up the new tank on Thursday and start plumbing this weekend. Was lucky in finding a great deal on here for the tank and stand so coming down towards the city to pick it up.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks Allen. Dude, if you got any questions or ideas lmk.

Afernandez, it seems like I'm going to be able to save most of them. Colors starting to come back now. What I'll have to do in a month or so, is cut off the rest of the dead areas. I did losse about five pieces completely.

bogliman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.9%
188   4   0
Nice Tank Pauli and sorry for your SPS. by the way your tank is being taken cared of your sps collection will be back in no time.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Bigcapt, here's what happened. I got this crazy idea of puting my main pump on the controller with out a program. Then two days before I came home there was a power outage. My dad was stopping by every day to feed the fish (he lives around the corner from me). That day he noticed the pump wasn't on and thought there was a problem with the DC8 outlets so he decided to take the plugs and connect them straight with no program to them. The water was at 68?and the PH 8.7, he dumped 30 gallons of top-off kalkwasser into the main. And as you know, the rest is history. Here's the best vacation advice I can give you, don't make any changes to your tank 3 month prior to your vacation. This will give you enough time to fine tune any equipment.

Bogliman, thank you.
I'm getting a kick off of watching the coral come back to life and coloring up again.

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Ooo WOW,well u been following my tank and u see my problems ,im not touchn or changing anything except a water change I did sunday,my cuzn will be coming by to check things out for me

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Kieth, I'll take some pics and post them up saturday.

Jarret, thanks for the offer. I would love something from your tank. Most of my sps coral did make it, and I'm now waiting to see how much more die-off I've to cut off. After that, one day I'll pass by and check out that tank of yours. After all, I haven't had the chance to see it yet. Maybe then, I'll see something that I like and hopefully you will have a frag of it. Lol....

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks Mark. I just finished throwing it out, it was deteriorating badly and was worried it was releasing toxins into the water.
I just tested the water, here's what it got.
Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - 0.02
Nitrate - 0
I'm in the middle of a 10% water change as we speak. I'm doing two more 10% weekly water changes, then I'm going back to my monthly schedule of 15%.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
Well I just left paulies house along with richie and all I gotta say is great upgrade on those coralvue's bud the coral look to have fell in love with the color produced by those 400 watt radium's and I can't blame em I personally like the blue they give out and very nice spread I didn't c a dark spot at all Paulie I can't wait to c your tank bounce back from the brink of death

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks Jay.

I don't have any pictures of the new lighting setup, but tomorrow morning I'll try to get some while the lights are off. I did take some lux readings yesterday and today. With the dimmable ballast set at the same setting as I was running my DE's, I got a 50% increase of lux. It was 25000 lux and now it's 52500 lux. Due to this big increase, I've reduced my light cycle by two hours. I would also like to raise the dimmer another 15 - 20 % to make ther color a bit less blue.
Here're some pics I took a few hours ago. Like I said the light is very blue, and pics look crappy.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Here you go.

Attachments

• 2011-03-05 15.17.07.jpg
    2011-03-05 15.17.07.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 2011-03-05 15.16.49.jpg
    2011-03-05 15.16.49.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 2011-03-05 15.16.23.jpg
    2011-03-05 15.16.23.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 238

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: