trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi all. I've been lurking on here for a while now and been slowly building my tank project up. I work in NY and live in NJ so I figured that qualifies me to post here, lol.

I've had a Oceanic Nano for the last 2 years. Nothing special, but enjoyed having it enough to do a small upgrade to a 45 gallon Marineland (24x24x18).

I've decided in the beginning that I'm going to do this over time, not rush and try to make all the build decision, before I get water in the tank and then retrofitting it in. Thanks for all the information on this site which has help me a lot. Feel free to comment and criticize the build..

I've been working on this for a few weeks now and hopefully I can start the cycling within a couple of weeks.

DYI Stand being built:
P1000646.jpg

Test fitting the Custom sump made by CustomKing. Its 18x18x16:
P1000657.jpg

P1000656.jpg

Decided to use the Glass-Holes 700 overflow with the 1/2" return. Getting ready to drill.
P1000640.jpg

Success and preping to paint the back black:
P1000641.jpg

So now, I have the stand almost completed and the interior plumbing almost done with the wiring of the Neptune Apex fitting in.
P1000682.jpg

Rocks have been received from Marcorocks and new RO/DI in transit from BRS.

I found a good use of the LED lighting - it makes a great shop light!!
P1000653.jpg

Hopefully the next update will be of some rocks and water in the tank.

trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So here is the latest. I'm pretty slow to update.
Stand with tank on it:
P1000662.jpg

A test run of the plumbing lucky only 1 leak from a cracked bulkhead:
P1000682.jpg

I hate painting, but that part is done (the dolly isn't part of the stand):
P1000714.jpg

Installed a new RO/DI, I was having problem with my last unit and I got so frustrated I got a BRS one. Finally able to get 0 TDS.
P1000717.jpg

An finally some in the wall plumbing for WC's
P1000713.jpg

trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So after a cracked bulkhead and hours of RO/DI water making the tank is finally cycling.
P1000724.jpg

P1000725.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000729.jpg

P1000734.jpg

I still need to order some custom doors and make a housing for the light fixture. But I guess I have at least 4 weeks for the cycle to finish.

trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here an update, been a pretty busy few weeks for me so I haven't taking any pictures.

I did about a 15% water change yesterday.
Today I have:
Ammonia < .25
Nitrite : .1
Nitrate : 10
Salinity : 1.025
Alk: 9

The diatoms are starting to grow hairy, which I believe is a good sign (GHA). I'm starting to figure out what kind of CUC i'll be getting.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Thanks.
I got a LED light from Redsand in NJ. The guy there had some made for him. He's got his whole shop running with them and his tanks look great.
Welcome to MR trivan. I have the same exact tank with the same exact light from Feng. You will be very happy with both! I went from a 250w mh pendent to fengs LED fixture and my corals couldn't be happier. Very nice build :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: