AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
After a few months from moving from NY to NJ and going through all the first time home owner painting, unpacking and setting everything up I finally really started to get my build going. I currently have a 65 gallon mixed reef that I moved along with me from NY. Let me tell you it was not a fun thing to do. It was very tough breaking the tank apart that I put so much time into aquascaping, placing corals in certain spots and making my own little reef so amazing for me to view.

The move to NJ with the tank was a rough night. I came home from work on a Fri night at the end of October and started my tank tear down. I removed all corals and bagged them up individually, drained the water into buckets along with the live rock. I then bagged up my fish and shrimp and got everyone ready for the drive. The sand I ended up throwing away because I didn't want to risk an ammonia spike. By the time I got into NJ that night and reset the tank up and got everyone in there it was 4am Sat morning. I was so stressed out and worrying about my corals and fish. The temperatures of the water did get cold on the drive but thank god everyone has survived and doing real great since then.

I never really set my 65 gallon up to the way I had it before in NY because I am doing an upgrade to a bigger tank. I just made it somewhat presentable and decent for my corals and fish to have a home till the new tank is ready. After all the work I had to put into my home and making it nice for me now it's time to start my build and create that beautiful home for my fish and corals that I always wanted but never had the room for.

Everyone tag along and see what I make of this and give me your feedback or even ideas. I haven't been on MR in a while because of the moving, housework and having a full time job. I am now back on and will be posting my updates as this build gets deeper and deeper. I also want to thank all the wonderful people I have met on here from back in NY that have given me advice and introduced me to some beautiful corals that I still have in my tank and are doing great. Thank you also to the people I haven't met but yet gave me advice on questions I had or help I needed. THANK YOU EVERYONE, Now get ready and check out some pics of my build :D

The Build Begins, Keep Posted For Updates

Tank

156 Gallon Oceanic RR with Starphire front and black background
[60" x 24" x 24"]

Stand

DIY Custom stand built by me, made from 4x4's, 2x4's, 3/4" plywood and then wrapped in cedar planks with a maple top and trim

Lighting

DIY 96 Cree 3W LED's [48 White/48 Royal Blue]
Two 24" x 8 1/2" heatsinks with custom Aluminum frame
2 cooling fans
Drivers

Sump

42" x 18" x 16" Custom DIY Acrylic sump with 3 chambers
[Drain/Skimmer, Fuge and then Return area]

Equipment

Two Vortech MP 40's
Two 250 watt Jager Heaters
Two 2 lil fishies reactors [Carbon,Bio Pellets]
160 lbs of CaribSea dry sand [Special Reef Grade]
160 lbs of dry rock [BRS reef saver & Pukani]
SWc Xtreme 230 Cone Protein Skimmer

Reeflo Dart pump

Last edited:

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Updates of the stand

Attachments

• IMAG0172.jpg
    IMAG0172.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,217
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,212

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Drilled in my bulkhead and filled the sump up with water to leak test it. I will be dropping the sump into the stand tomorrow and then placing the tank on the stand. :smile:

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 482
  • Sump2.jpg
    Sump2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 477
  • Sump3.jpg
    Sump3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 477
  • Sump4.jpg
    Sump4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 475

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I started my plumbing tonight. I ran 2" intake piping with 1 1/2" discharge T'd off to 1" and down to two 1/2" valves for carbon and bio pellets in the reactors. I'm also running the 1" back into the fuge with a valve in case the pump sucks water to quickly, I can replace it back into the sump so it bypasses the whole DT overflows. The 1 1/2" pipe will be reduced down to two 3/4" hose barbs to supply the return to the tank.

Attachments

• Sump Plumbing.jpg
    Sump Plumbing.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 463
  • Sump Plumbing 2.jpg
    Sump Plumbing 2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Sump Plumbing 3.jpg
    Sump Plumbing 3.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 463
  • Sump Plumbing 4.jpg
    Sump Plumbing 4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 462

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: