• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm still on a quest to take a decent video but I am not there yet. Here I tried with the pumps off. I am going to keep trying. These new camera's have so many settings on them that it could take a half an hour just to set the thing the way you want it. But they still come out kind of lousy. I will get it some day.
Click on it to start the video

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm still on a quest to take a decent video but I am not there yet. Here I tried with the pumps off. I am going to keep trying. These new camera's have so many settings on them that it could take a half an hour just to set the thing the way you want it. But they still come out kind of lousy. I will get it some day.
I'm not sure I read, but what camera are you using. The video came out clear. Video shows so much more that what you can capture with a still shot. Could never tell from the pics that's the same tank as the video, looks great.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks, but it still doesn't look quite in focus to me thats why I shut off the pumps this time.
If I leave the pumps on, the focus keeps changing because of the shimmer. This is really bad. It gives me a headache.

I don't thing it is the pumps that are making them blurry, its probably your settings.
Do you have a DSLR? On my Canon's optical viewfinder there is a dial for +/- to adjust the focus of the image. If you are seeing it blurry in the viewfinder than the picture too will be blurry. It is made to allow individuals to adjust the focus according to there vision. Also don't use the live preview on the lcd screen, you will not get a clean shot with that. It's hard to focus with the lcd screen.
Another thing, leave the camera on Auto and make sure your lens is set to AF not MF. With these settings see if you it still comes out blury. Try a tripod or a object to rest the camera on with a 2sec or 10sec timer, so if there is any shaky hand movement it won't be reflected in the image.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Weezyfella, first of all, thanks. Two posts up I did use a tripod and I turned off the pumps. The one just above the pumps were on but the shimmer really screwed up the picture. I am using a Canon SX20. I can lock the focus which I tried but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It always looks clear on the screen.
I will try the settings you said.
Thanks again
Paul

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Weezyfella, first of all, thanks. Two posts up I did use a tripod and I turned off the pumps. The one just above the pumps were on but the shimmer really screwed up the picture. I am using a Canon SX20. I can lock the focus which I tried but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It always looks clear on the screen.
I will try the settings you said.
Thanks again
Paul

Looking at the camera you have, I'd say its a very effective well rounded camera outside of DSLR at taking macro and wide shots. You will not find the optical viewfinder with the +/- that I was referring to earlier, rather a electronic viewfinder which will correct the sharpness automatically for you. But one feature I notice it has Optical Image Stabilizer. The way that works is that you want to have it enabled if you are taking pictures in hand, and disabled if you are using a tripod. Try this along with I've mentioned earlier, I'm sure it will result is something more cleaner.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't know what to do with my tank now. There is nothing wrong, no corals fell down, no fish bullying other fish, everything eating well, the corals are growing, no flatworms, ringworms, cyano, hair algae, ich, flukes, dropsy, pop eye, no out of date lights, don't feel like changing water, algae trough working fine, corals growing, fish are smiling.
What the heck am I going to do today? It's a good thing that it is snowing so at least I could shovel snow. I should start an anti problem thread, there are so many "problem" threads, how about a thread where nothing is wrong.
Dam, I hope a pump breaks soon so I can get out of this rut.
Well, I can't find my oldest and largest gobi today, I guess I could look for him

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks Rookie, I even found that gobi. I think he may be near the end of his life. I don't know how long they live but I think he is about 12. His mate died last year. He is fat and lazy and just doesn't have that zip he used to have. He doesn't like to hunt for food any more but he comes out and practically begs when I feed the tank and I hand feed him a large piece of clam, his favorite food (mine also)
Here he is last year
Custo009.jpg

This is a few years ago
Gobieggs006.jpg

With their eggs
Gobieggs026.jpg

And very young
2008reef011.jpg

And as a baby

tank007.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I need to change some water and do a little tank maintenance so I have to get creative. I am having problems cleaning the glass because even though I re-aquascaped a few weeks ago, the corals have again grew too much towards the front glass. When I can use both hands I need to remove some more rock to gain more room. ( i had shoulder surgery) I built a few more fake rocks that will cascade over the rockwork to hold some of the corals but even then, i need more room. Of course a larger tank would do it but I installed this one and built the house around it and i don't think I could even remove it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: