rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
imo, go with a 90 gallon sump, and a 55 gallon fuge. they are cheaper then having one built.
I think the way you want to set up your system is looking at failure, I'm sorry for saying this, but trust me i've been their.
what i would do is set up the 90 to house your filtration, reactors, and skimmer. And have the 55 elevated about 12" above the 90 and have it drain into the 90's return area.
when you do your return pump make a manifold to feed the dt, reactors, and fuge.
keep asking and posting, trust me you will have a failsafe system setup.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revised Plan

Sounds like a good plan as will add a lot of water to the system. I actually have a 55 gallon tank that I can use, but will need to get it drilled to use for the fuge drain. Then I just need to get a 90 or 100 gallon for the sump. Dont think I can use my current 90 as it has bottom drains unless i plug one.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
if you don't want to drill you can always use an overflow box, remember that a fuge does not have a lot of flow thru it. as far as the 90 yes it can be sealed, you can do it 2 ways,
1- cut a glass twice the size of the hole and silicone it, or put a pvc plug in, don't forget use teflon tape.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Am so tired of working on the old stone wall in the basement under the new tank location. Im really ready to start on tank plumbing, but need to finish repointing the old stone wall, skim coat basement floor and then reinforce the flooring above to support the weight of the tank. Should get some pics of the work in progress I guess, but havent yet.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Was wondering from your pics if you had skinned the stand yet or not. Either way your tank looks great. Wish I could find such a deal, although I think the electric operating costs will be enough with my 180 upgrade. Im hoping that if I get a little more energy efficient over my 90 it wont be too bad. Hoping that one hammerhead pump will eliminate several that I now have working, although the big expense is still the metal hallide lighting, but to date I have had good success with it and its hard to beat what works. Thanks for the encouragement.
John

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Im almost finished the flooring supports in the basement which will also make up the new equipment room for the new tank. Just ordered a hammerhead gold pump so am excited its almost time to start plumbing. Will post some pics of the progress to date soon.

beachorama

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tagging along on both you guys tanks.

Amazing tanks guys!!!

My dream tank is the 180 gal: Such a perfect size and dimensions.

I couldn't see being able to handle anything bigger... especially 450 gal (which looks amazing Ritchie!)

BUT..you never know what this hobby will make you do in the future. :tub:

Good luck guys... and keep posting pics!

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting Test

I can understand that. I am planning on 3 250 watt on my 6 foot tank. Although with just selling my old, second car, I am beginning to lust after the new LED AI system. I know the thunderstorm probably doesnt add much for animal husbandry, but the geek in me thinks thats so cool. Not the mention all the savings over electrical consumption of the metal halides. Im probably gonna start with the halides I have, hoping that the costs of the new LEDs will drop by the first of the year when I am close to being ready to move all the critters to the new tank. I don't need that much light to cycle the system I don't think.

Last edited:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Pump Arrival

Newest toy just arrived today as I am nearing the finish of all the work that needed to be done in the basement to be ready to handle the new tank. I will post some pics of the basement structural work soon, but am excited as the new hammerhead gold pump arrived yesterday. Im really getting close to starting the plumbing and setting up my filtering and work area for the tank in the basement with the display tank in the dining room.

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
you don't need lighting to cycle the tank. I too would like to do leds but i am still worried about the spectrum of light they are giving off, i know a lot of members are running them and are very happy with the results, i think i will wait a bit longer as they are still improving them, and that is one sweet pump. Need more pics.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited about progress finally.

Spent the afternoon getting the utility sink ready to install in my equipment room (i.e. basement) and measuring for cabinetry to go under the fuge and sump for storing supplies. Will make an effort to get some new pics of the basement progress this week. I am so excited to have the pump in since once Im done with framing, then the plumbing can start. :) It was so slow regrouting all the stone wall since i could only do one section at a time without it falling down. So my summer has been spent in the basement with a cement mixer i bought for the project. Almost feel like a one of the 7 dwarfs ive been underground so long. :D

Last edited:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally progress

After spending months rebuilding the stone wall in the basement that supports the dinning room (where the tank is going) I just got home today from Home Depot with pipes and fittings to begin the plumbing. Since I want to get the initial plumbing done while the tank is out from the wall, I only bought what I needed for the upstairs portion. That said $500 later I now have nice cabinets for the filter room downstairs. Will post some progress pics tonight or tomorrow. I also ordered a glass hole saw and the fittings so that I can cut the bulkheads in the refugium and sump. I have a 30 gallon long that I think I will be using for the refugium and havent decided on a tank for the sump yet, but guess that is this weekends project.

Last edited:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress

Some pics of todays progress.

Attachments

• 100_2629.jpg
    100_2629.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2628.jpg
    100_2628.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2627.jpg
    100_2627.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_2630.jpg
    100_2630.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_2631.jpg
    100_2631.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 112

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floor Leveling question

Even with leveling the floor, given that the house is 180 years old, it is level but not totally even across the 6foot span of the tank stand. I can shim to the stand or should I put a thick sheet of styrofoam rigid insullation down to absorb the inconsistencies in the floor? Looks like in place a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the stand and the floor boards in some places. Most of the stand rests solidly on the floor boards and is level in both directions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: