allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first major upgrade since restarting in the hobby with a 90 gallon mixed reef tank almost 2 years ago now. I have always wanted a larger tank and another member recently posted selling this new tank, stand and lights. I am locating the new tank in my dining room so that it is more visible to guests which means running new electricity, bracing the floor of my 150 year old Victorian house, leveling and preparing the tank. Luckily I still have 30 gallons of "formerly" live rock that was lost when my first salt water tank died after having reached 10 years old. I was hospitalized and was unable to care for it or even provide much instruction and my parents did their best but didnt understand what they were doing. I have started baking the formerly live rock and plan to move my existing sand and live rock to its new home once the tank is completely ready. I am sure to have a lot of questions and hope that this group will help me plan for a great habitat. So let me start with the first questions as I get pics of the new tank to document this build. Since I am upgrading from a 90 gallon tank to a 180 gallon tank, should i set up the new tank entirely and cycle it first or does the existing eco system typically expand its capacity to cycle waste as it is relocated? I am leaning to cycling the new tank, then during a major water change, transfer the existing tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Nice to see you moving forward :)

Yes, since you have the time & space to allow one tank to continue running and set the new one up in another location, I would allow it to cycle completely before moving the critters & creatures from the old to the new.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Steps

So here is the beginning pictures of my odyssey.

Attachments

• 100_2481.jpg
    100_2481.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 600
  • 100_2482.jpg
    100_2482.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_2484.jpg
    100_2484.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 594

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Thanks Bruce, Im really excited that I was able to get it and now am beginning the planning process on plumbing and electrical. This hobby is one of the few where being a Renaissance man with a knowledge of many skills helps (electrical, plumbing, computers, chemistry, aquaculture, animal husbandry and in my case carpentry to reinforce the floor joists).

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chillers

Where do you have your chiller placed in your plumbing? Right now on the 90 gallon system I have the chiller / heater fed from the return pump coming from the refugium then returning to the aquarium. Is there a better location? I assumed this was best since I would have the cleanest water and therefore no debris to adhere to the chiller. I am using an inline combination chiller / heater.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You had the chiller being fed by the fuge? I wouldnt do this just for the fact that you have a bunch of micro life coming outta your fuge to feed your tank. Idk if the chiller would interfer with the life getting to your tank but i wouldnt risk it. Another thing about chillers is they give off alot of heat. So keeping it next to the tank is pretty much defeating its purpose. I think you should use a feed pump and try to get it away from the DT, maybe in another room or behind the wall. Good luck with the build. The tank lokks great so far. I wish I could upgrade to a 180!!

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Having the chiller inline with the return line is fine, that is how I plumbed my chiller for years when I was using one. It also reduces the amount of pumps that you need in the system and mixes the chilled/heated water very efficiently.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller Placement

I do physically have the chiller located away from the tank. My current tank drains into a sock in the sump, then flows into the fuge, then flows into last sump with protein skimmer, and then into return line that includes the chiller. In the first sump compartment, I have my GFO reactor and Carbon filter running as well. I suspect your right that Im missing beneficial critters flowing back into the tank. I already know i want to move the skimmer to the first compartment on the new build. Am now wondering if it might be better to have chiller on its on line?

Last edited:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Thanks. Am glad to have folks like yourself on here to seek advice and guidance from. Although I have been reefing for a while, the collective knowledge far outweighs any individuals knowledge. As a newbie to a big tank, I want to be sure I do this right the first time so Im glad to have the collective experience from MR to help.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest Effort

Ive been working this week on recycling the old rock, and preparing the basement for reinforcement of the floor joists. Hopefully will have some more pics up soon as I finish up the basement and install the floor jacks. Then I can begin placement of the tank, electrical and plumbing work. I am trying to follow the best advice I have found here and to be patient while doing things right.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design Help???

Well I finally have most of the construction in the basement done to support the new tank in the dining room, so now have started thinking about how I want to system plumbed. Since it is in the formal dining room, am starting to toy with the idea of locating the sump in the basement directly below the tank to isolate noise, and make it easier for water changes and work. Would however mean cutting holes thru the floor for the water to drain and return to the tank. Am thinking this would isolate my pumps and chiller from the dining room itself and provide an open space for me to work on the sump if needed. I was originally thinking I would just locate my sump in the cabinet below the tank but am wondering what do others recommend?

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
congrads on your upgrade, if i were you set aside a room downstairs in the basement for all your equipment. you will have a very quite display tank, and also if need be you can add more water volume. As a fellow reefer told me once. "Dilution Is The Solution".

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have my sump in the basement, and I am very happy about that. nice roomy work space, no salt water or whatever in my wife's nice dining room. I really like to go down there and just tinker around with everything.

for the high lift return pump that cost me a few extra dollars was the only draw back, but well worth it. I have added and removed all kinds of neat toys I would never have had the room for with an in stand sump. and most of all doing a 30g water change is easy as pie since my ro is right there with the 30g storage/10g top off

heheh , ya thats the way to go imo :afro:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on Sumps

Thanks, I think ive pretty much decided that to have the RODI setup right next to the sump in the basement, it will make water changes much easier than dragging my 50 gal premixed water in the dining room and back. So I worked some more today on finishing the basement wall, then am going to start the plumbing for the new tank. The premade sumps I have seen all seem too small for my use, so am wondering where might be the best place to get an acrylic tank to build my own? I am thinking that I might go oversized so that if I later get a bigger tank, I will already have the sump capacity for it. Am thinking a 100 gallon tank will give me enough space for drains, protein skimmer, refugium, and then return pump. Should have a nice size refugium then.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium / Sump Design Thoughts

After some more research, am thinking that I probably want two sumps, one for the refugium and one for the actual sump. That way I can control the water flow thru the refugium independent of the actual sump. This way I could use 2-40 gallon aquariums sitting side by side with one the sump and one the refugium. Then maybe a 10 gallon collector tank for both systems to drain into before being pumped back to the display tank. Since I will need a pump with high head capacity, dont wanna run two pumps, but will probably set up system with two (one for backup).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: