Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Everything looks so clean. What's the name of the tank manufacturer?
Thank you. The tank maker is ND Aquatics. The whole design of the tank is completely from me. I had them build me a fully customised tank. They dont stock the white cabinet, so it was specially ordered in etc. They dont build Rimless tanks but with a little persuassion and money, they agreed to build the tank with 12mm glass and double 10mm bases.

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Any problems with the heat from the t5's affecting the Led's?

Thank you. No problems with heat from the T5's. The heat is drawn off from the LED's on the side with the T5 ballasts. The heat from the T5's is drawn out from via the exhaust on one side of the light unit. FWIW, the ATI Light units are very cleverly deisgned to cool the T5's. I fully utilised thier design to make this modification. But there is a lot of noise from having to run the fans at higher than normal speeds. This is fine with me as the tank is in the living room.

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it...clean and beautiful...a fan of T5+LED as well!

Thanks. I really like the T5's because SPS corals get the best colour IMO under T5's. However, the light lacks the "metallic" look on corals from halides. With T5+LED's I get the exact look I want. Plus lots of PAR too. :groupflip

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is sps the more popular coral over there we don't get sps like that over here unless u pay $100 a 1/2 "

No way. In the UK we dont have no ORA or other special retailer SPS corals. Its whatever comes in to each LFS. Most of it is the usual crap. I travel all over keeping an eye out for special pieces. Also, I now have a reefkeeper friend who travels to the rest of Europe collecting stuff from the top reefkeepers from Germany, Belgium etc.

But in the UK we dont have the craziness of "special names"...Icefire, strawberry shortcake, pearlberry etc etc...so prices are not inflated by a crazy market driven by people who buy corals because they have special names and are Limited Editions and that sort.

But we are becoming like this with Zooanthids...

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Thank you. The tank maker is ND Aquatics. The whole design of the tank is completely from me. I had them build me a fully customised tank. They dont stock the white cabinet, so it was specially ordered in etc. They dont build Rimless tanks but with a little persuassion and money, they agreed to build the tank with 12mm glass and double 10mm bases.

Great! Thanks for the iinfo.

dotc0m

Cheeky Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
No way. In the UK we dont have no ORA or other special retailer SPS corals. Its whatever comes in to each LFS. Most of it is the usual crap. I travel all over keeping an eye out for special pieces. Also, I now have a reefkeeper friend who travels to the rest of Europe collecting stuff from the top reefkeepers from Germany, Belgium etc.

But in the UK we dont have the craziness of "special names"...Icefire, strawberry shortcake, pearlberry etc etc...so prices are not inflated by a crazy market driven by people who buy corals because they have special names and are Limited Editions and that sort.

But we are becoming like this with Zooanthids...

::Shakes head:: The corruption of corporate america... and the main derivative is the consumer :(. It's true we do it to ourselves!

chinatown

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
very nice tank. might have to borrow your idea to replace a bulb of the T5 with a LED strip. brilliant.

but question, when you removed one of the bulbs, the other one it's linked two won't turn on as well. how did you bypass this?

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice tank. might have to borrow your idea to replace a bulb of the T5 with a LED strip. brilliant.

but question, when you removed one of the bulbs, the other one it's linked two won't turn on as well. how did you bypass this?

Hi there, I had to swap out one of the double T5 ballast for a single version.

OK, here are the PAR measurements of my ATI Sunpower HYBRID 5x24watt T5 and 24 Cree LED's @ 700mA (approx 60watts). 20 of the LED's have 80degree lens, the remaining 4 have 60degree lens.

The tank is 18" tall, 30" long and 20" front to back. The water height is 16" from top of sand to water surface.

Excuse the bad quality of the photo. For some silly reason I took the photo at an angle, but here goes:
DSC_9719.jpg

Some notes about the various numbers:

1. PAR measurements were made using the Apogee MQ-200 PAR Quantum meter. This meter underreads the PAR from narrow spectrum LED's (mainly in the blue section) by around 10-20%, so my PAR levels are probably a fair bit higher.

2. The T5 tubes, bar the actinic tube, are about 5 months old. When I put in new tubes I expect the PAR levels to increase slightly.

3. The light unit is suspended 7.5" above the waters surface. If I mount it lower, PAR levels get too high causing bleaching due to photoinhibition.

4. Numbers in RED are PAR readings on the SAND. The 175, 265,175 are right against the FRONT glass. 175's are in the extreme corners. The 390-A is the PAR in the centre of the tank on the sand bed.

5. PAR levels 1" below the unit are in excess of 2500!!!

6. PAR numbers just below the surface of the water is around 1100!

I am extremely impressed with this light modification. Since the purchase of the PAR meter, I have been looking at various PAR measurements carried out by other hobbyists and it appears that the PAR levels are in similar range to 400watt halide systems. All in all, I am very happy with the PAR levels and the possibility of supplying very good spectral quality via the use of various T5 tube combinations.

The unit has the following T5 Tubes/LED front to back:

Front:
ATI Blue+
ATI AquaBlue Special
Cree XR-E LED's: 20 x Royal Blue + 4 x Blue
KZ FijiPink
Arcadia 420nm 03 Actinic
ATI Blue+

The actual look of the tank is not as blue as the photo. It is a very nice 20K look.

Not content with modding my ATI Sunpower with high power LED's I decided to add LED "moonlights" as well:
DSC_5806.jpg

A shot showing the "moonlights" in use:
DSC_5811.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: