Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my tank is a 47G "Rimless" with 12mm Optiwhite glass and double base. This is my first ever sumped tank; all 3 of my previous reef tanks were sumpless.

I opted for a single durso and return. The tank is in the living room and I am not too bothered about noise etc from the overflow. The sump is fairly large and will accomodate about 25G of water, but is designed to run with about half of that.

Here are the first photos of the tank:

DSC_5747.jpg

Side shot:
DSC_5740.jpg

A closeup shot of the "Rimless" glass and the smoothed edges:
DSC_5743.jpg

A shot of the sump area:
DSC_5758.jpg

The cabinet has lots of height. I can easily lift the skimmer out of the cabinet whilst it is still in one piece. Plus there is space to build a shelf above the sump to place my Doser and other equipment. I have also fitted a strip light inside the cabinet to assist when working inside the sump.

Skimmer: from the photo above you can see a Bubble Magus NAC6 Skimmer. I went with this skimmer due to its value for money and performance.

Lights: ATI Sunpower: 5xT5 + 24xCree 3W LED
IMG_0449-1.jpg

I bought a practically new ATI Sunpower 6x24watt T5 unit (with non working fans) and have modified this to include high power LED's. The LED's consist of 20 Cree Royal Blue LED's and 4 Cree Blue LED's. I am running them at 700mA. In total the unit now runs about 180watts of T5 and LED. From my past experiance with T5's/250w+150wMetal halide/LED's, I estimate PAR to be well above that given by a 250w halide. There is a combination of 60 and 80 degree lens on the LED's.

My reasoning for going with such a light unit is due to the good experiance with LED's in my previous build, and because T5's are known for thier ability to colour SPS corals really well.

Dosing: Fauna Marine triple doser.

Water flow: 2 x Vortech MP10 ECOSMART

Topoff: Tunze Osmolator: This unit has so far proven to be 100% reliable and accurate.

Here is a shot of the skimmer in place and the plumbing done.
DSC_5796.jpg

I have also fitted a cabinet lock on the cabinet. With a 2 babies around the place I am not taking any chances:
DSC_5793.jpg

Here is a cool photo I just took to show off the T5/LED Hybrid reflection off the water:
DSC_5825.jpg

I mounted the LED's onto an Aluminium plate. You cannot mount them directly onto the Sunpowers metal chassis as the heat conductivity through that material is only about 3/20 of Aluminium.

I had to cut a rectangle out from the Sunpower using a Dremmel with slim cutting wheels.

Once this was done, I screwed and thermal glued the Aluminium plate onto the chassis of the Sunpower.

The plate and chassis on their own wont disperse the heat. I tested and within 5 minutes the plate was getting very very warm to the touch.

So I ordered 4 VGA graphics card fans and found a few other bits of low profile heatsinks lying around. All I had to do then was glue them down with thermal paste.

This shows the LED's mounted onto a secondary surface, ie the Aluminium plate:
DSC_5844.jpg

Shot showing all the lights on at the same time:
DSC_5849.jpg

The White balance is screwed up and I didnt bother to take custom white balance readings with my DSLR, but from front the configuration is as follows:

Front:
ATI Blue+
ATI AquaBlue Special
24 LED's (20 Royal Blue + 4 Blue)
KZ Fiji Purple
Arcadia 14K
ATI Blue+

The 4 Moonlights are on as well, but you cant see them properly with the main lights on.

I am running the LED's off 2 x Meanwell LPC-35/700 model LED Drivers. These drivers allow 12 x 3watt LED's to be run at 700mA each. The 24 LED's are running at almost 60watts.

Distant shot:
DSC_5895.jpg

Fauna Marin Triple Doser: In order to provide chemical stability to my reef aquarium, I bought this doser to dose Calcium and Alkalinity. Whether I use a commercial two part or go balling lite or even a home made two part is still undecided, but here are a few photos I took of the unit:
DSC_5928.jpg

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colours have been adjusted to reflect what can be seen in the tank. I do have a lot of "colour pop" due to the combo of 2xBlue+, 2xWhite, 1x Fiji Pink and the Blue LED's. However, even with the LED's off, the corals exhibit very good colour.

Here are the photos.

DSC_7785.jpg

DSC_7717.jpg

DSC_7705.jpg

DSC_7698.jpg

DSC_7374.jpg

DSC_7373.jpg

DSC_7371.jpg

DSC_7370.jpg

DSC_7365.jpg

DSC_7360.jpg

DSC_7356.jpg

DSC_7345.jpg

DSC_7342.jpg

DSC_7341.jpg

DSC_7348.jpg

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of my tank:

Note the following:

I had to switch off ALL the LED's otherwise the Iphone 4 does not pickup the white balance correctly at all and its just all blue. I only had the 5xT5 tubes running: Tubes were 2xBlue+ tubes, 1xFijiPink, 1xAquablueSpecial and 1xArcadia 14K - the last tube is actually orange in appearance.

If only the Iphone would pick up the colour with ALL the lights on. Anyway, hope you like the video...at least it shows that my colours are not simply photoshoped.

Thanks for watching. <object width="1280" height="750">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJhIhrEvCp8?fs=1&hl=en_GB&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="650" height="349"></object>

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sweet set up very nice you dosing anything?

Thank you.

Not dosing anything other than kalk and two part to keep up the Ca+Alk.

My lighting is very powerful and I utilise ozone to keep the water crystal clear. That is one of the reason my corals are so colourful.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: