xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank setup. I am looking to place my 120 gal in the wall as well. It has been on a stand with canopy for 5 years and now I got married and need to take it with me to my new house. There is no rush but I found the spot in my basement "man cave" the bulk of tank will be in laundry, work room. I have 1 question as I read other people suggest making the wall a shadow box so the tank can stay on existing stand or new custom built stand this way there is no weight on the wall. What if water splashes from water change etc drip down the walls? I don't want the Sheetrock to get wet or damage. One member stated the will post photos as I am psyched to see how a shadow box will look. I have the sump etc from my existing that I am going to reuse. I am goin with a Fowlr. I did the reef thing but too much to handle right now and my fowler is doing wonderful the past 3 years. What led unit did you get? I'm going with fowler so I don't need anything crazy but I would like to toss the pcs. I don't want to spend a lot on LEDs but I like the led shimmering effect like the MH. This is the backroom work bench/laundry room where the tank will "sit". I made a quick image of how the tank would look. There is also an existing outlet on the othe side of the wall. My brother is an electrician so i will have him swap the outlet for a GFI and move it into the laundry room wall. I think the outlet will also need to be moved out of the sumps way in the laundry room wall. As you can slightly see I have easy way to mount pendants or any lighting from up above hanging. I would love to eliminate the PCs unit I have from coralife. Not looking to spend alot of money on new lighting but LEDS and sufficient for FOWLR.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you suggest using green board in the back wall where the tank will be sticking out? Both sides of the wall are sheetrock and I really don't want to destroy the front wall to make this setup I don't mind the back wall as seen in the photo. What about using treated wood? Should I paint the wall enough to be waterproof? Thanks

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Nice tank setup. I am looking to place my 120 gal in the wall as well. It has been on a stand with canopy for 5 years and now I got married and need to take it with me to my new house. There is no rush but I found the spot in my basement "man cave" the bulk of tank will be in laundry, work room. I have 1 question as I read other people suggest making the wall a shadow box so the tank can stay on existing stand or new custom built stand this way there is no weight on the wall. What if water splashes from water change etc drip down the walls? I don't want the Sheetrock to get wet or damage. One member stated the will post photos as I am psyched to see how a shadow box will look. I have the sump etc from my existing that I am going to reuse. I am goin with a Fowlr. I did the reef thing but too much to handle right now and my fowler is doing wonderful the past 3 years. What led unit did you get? I'm going with fowler so I don't need anything crazy but I would like to toss the pcs. I don't want to spend a lot on LEDs but I like the led shimmering effect like the MH. This is the backroom work bench/laundry room where the tank will "sit". I made a quick image of how the tank would look. There is also an existing outlet on the othe side of the wall. My brother is an electrician so i will have him swap the outlet for a GFI and move it into the laundry room wall. I think the outlet will also need to be moved out of the sumps way in the laundry room wall. As you can slightly see I have easy way to mount pendants or any lighting from up above hanging. I would love to eliminate the PCs unit I have from coralife. Not looking to spend alot of money on new lighting but LEDS and sufficient for FOWLR.

im liking the beer box on the bottom are you going to teach your fish to drink too? lol :funnypost

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary a little confused. The back wall where the aquarium will sit I will put greenboard paint and prime. The front of aquarium that will be sitting inside the wall will leave the sheet rock alone. The bottom of back wall where wall meets concrete floor I will use pressure treated wood. What size wood should I be using to build the stand? Is there any good sites that you know of regarding specs to build the stand? Thanks

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the stand pretty basic looks very nice. Did you paint it with any water resistant paint? water seal, or drylock? I see you used the greenboard. Yes if you can send me any links please let me know. I am also thinking of placing a GFI surge protector in the wall instead of having it on the floor etc. Trying to think of everything before I start. Maybe a wall timer built in switch for the lights which I need to see what I am going to get yet.

Should I make the opening larger then the actual size of the tank.
I am not sure if I want to make the top of the tank opening big like you did.
I don't think I need access to the front of the tank or if I do I will paint it the same color as the room so it looks like an exact picture frame.

Last edited:

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will make a top flap of the tank for front access. I think I will make this flap greenboard in case of any water splashing. Should I greenboard the sides of the wall frame to protect the painted wood frame? I just want to plan it all out to see what I need. My tank is 4 ft wide so how wide do I make the opening on the sides? an inch or 2 extra on each side? Thanks

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I made the access. Panel. Out of 1x10 pine and painted all sides. And made the opening about 1/4 inch bigger on the sides u can hide that gap with moulding. I cut the Sheetrock even with the rough framing than put trim to cover the edges of the Sheetrock so no dust can fall in the tank
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: