151.5 KB · Views: 361
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 362

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I'd stay away from the mud but that's JMO... 2-3" sand bed w Cheato. Let it populate by itself. Mangroves can be troublesome from what I have read and have talked to some people about. If you have the room and want the challenge than maybe give them a try. I'm going the KISS principle with mine.

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Mud is definately the way to go. Then I would go with mangroves. Standard cfl light bulb like 6500K. Supper slow flow is the trick.

super low flow might be correct for mangroves. I don;t know because I don't have them), but for a refugium with chaeto I got red slime with relatively low flow. I increased my flow along with reduced feeding and a shorter light schedule and the slime cleared up.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
ok the tank is doing good my next step is to get my fuge going should i go with sand , mud, bare bottom what type of lighting to use and what type of plants to use any info and what works best ?? thanks all

hey Gary the tank looks great wow really nice job.

About the refugium, I think of it more as a safe place to grow the micro life stuff that will help to supply things like pods to the main DT. verry helpfull if you want to keep things like mandarins. As for nutrient export though, im not sure how much you really get out of any small refugium. The guy to ask is Prattreef

Cheato xports much more then mangrove , takes less light and provides better habitat for pods and what not.

On my setup since my refugium is only 15gal I just have it filled with live rock and no light at all. I propose that a small space filled with live rock provides even better habitat and nutrient export then a small ball of cheato.

I dont ever put mud in my tank and I find find having bare bottom on my fuge its easy to pull out the live rock, then vacume it and clean and shake off the rock and pop it back in, nice and easy.

How big is your refugium space?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: