Eggplant+Nana.jpg

Eggplant Nana

ORA+Cali+Tort.jpg

ORA Cali Tort

Tyree+Orange+Setosa.jpg

Tyree Orange Setosa

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ricky, absolutely amazing tank! I have such a similar setup to you, you seem to be the perfect person to get some advice from.

What made you switch pumps on your vertex 180? How noticeable was the change? worth it?

Why did you go back to sand? How deep is it? I am barebottom now and was wondering what are the pros and cons specific to your(our) tank?

Why did you quit on the biopellets? Do you now, or have you in the past run carbon or gfo?

thanks a bunch man, your tank is such a great inspiration.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Ricky, absolutely amazing tank! I have such a similar setup to you, you seem to be the perfect person to get some advice from.

What made you switch pumps on your vertex 180? How noticeable was the change? worth it?

Why did you go back to sand? How deep is it? I am barebottom now and was wondering what are the pros and cons specific to your(our) tank?

Why did you quit on the biopellets? Do you now, or have you in the past run carbon or gfo?

thanks a bunch man, your tank is such a great inspiration.

Thank you, I switched to the Bubble Blaster 3000 pump because it has a larger air draw so I figured it would skim better. I have the Gen. 2 Vertex skimmer on my display and Gen. 3 on my frag system. To be honest the Gen. 3 skims better than the Gen. 2 with the BB 3000 pump. The main difference between Gen. 2 and 3 is the improved bubble plate and the air hose is much wider on the Gen. 3. I added a wider hose for my BB 3000 and it still does not skim as well as the Gen. 3. The barebottom method did not work for me mostly because I do not have a big enough refugium to support the necessary life to keep my parameters in balance. I was having major phosphate and nutrient issues. Now that I have live sand the cyano and diatoms went away. I quit biopellets because they don't control PO4 and I never had an issue with NO3 with a refugium full of chaeto so I was throwing money on the pellets. I do run carbon and GFO religiously in a media bag, I use ROX 0.8 carbon and have never looked back.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great answer and good news. I have a gen 3 vertex so it sounds like I'm good there. I have a somewhat small refugium too, although I am running a 70watt halide over it to try and counter pH swings, and maybe I'll get lucky with my parameters. I have been so happy since getting rid of sand, I can't imagine going back. I am also running two tunze 6095's now, and could only imagine how much of a mess any amount of sand would be. Love the look of sand, but until I win powerball and have unlimited hours a week to devote to my tank, I will be sandless in my display.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: