Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
can I use a hangon fuge instead of skimmer? that way i can have macro and pods for the the horses to snack on. or would skimming be required?

CC, i did check RC. that's how i know about the dwarfs wont eat prepared food. but got alot more reading to do before i actually do this one. still got the other tank to setup. (it's been almost 5 months. lol)

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
honestly, i have no idea..about that..you if you keep up with water changes then i guess you don't need a skimmer, but still skimmer may pick up some stuff that you might have missed...a fuge is great source of food for them...but i remeber i had to feed my sea horses 3 times a day....so you must have lots of pods... :) best of luck.. once again i am not sure about the fuge/ skimmer question..

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Horses and pipefish are in the same family. I keep a Jann's Pipefish in my 75 mixed reef with great success. They do like the live food and it competes with my mandarin for pods. However, within the last month or so I've seen it starting to eat frozen foods too. Not sure if he eats the cyclopeeze or Daphnia, but whatever it is, it's always in motion in the water column. Never sitting on anything. It has to at least look like it's alive.

Here's a pic of my Jann's Pipefish:

pipefish.jpg

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
by the way, John and i saw Spyro's tank and he had SeaHorses in a nanoCube he waS feeding tHem froZen cubes wHich they goBBl'd up pretty fast. notHing extraordinary in hiS setupo, just water, some fake plants and low fLow :starfish: :squid: :lobster: :snail:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: