ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
so im almost done building my slide out tray. my idea was simple, yet my design looked like a total fail...yet kinda works! i took a peice of wood, few long bolts, and made a little roll tray. i put some weight on it and it seems like it will work great. so, now, when i want to take my sump out for mantainence, i just have to unscrew the union valves and slide the sump right out....

IMAG0061-1.jpg

IMAG0062-1.jpg

IMAG0063-2.jpg

IMAG0064-1.jpg

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Tank and stand looks great. Sucks that the first sump couldn't fit inside the cabinet, it look really sweet. Can't wait to see how you put this thing together. Good luck buddy.

yeah that sump would have been a bit too large. the sump did look amazing...BUT im really excited to see how jeffs did. he does some amazing work. pretty excited. its going to be rather confusing looking to some, but ill show you guys what i came up with for sump when i pick it up tomorrow and post some pics...

ohh and ill post the light picture now...

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
ok, i dont think the pictures will prove anything, but how i mounted it was simple. i took a tape measure and measured how long from bracket to backet where the screw sits on the reefbrite, put a mark on the tek light, and drilled a small hole. where i mounted it was...uhh.. how to explain lol.... ok looking right at the fixture. you got the tek light badge, then it falls flat, then has a curve in, then another curve thats real thin that is level with the bulbs, thats where i mounted it...

IMAG0069-1.jpg

IMAG0070-1.jpg

IMAG0068-1.jpg

Last edited:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
picked up my sump today from Jeff (Custom King). sump is PERFECT. exactly what i wanted. its got a 7 inch filter sock holder on the left, then water goes all the way to the right to the skimmer section, then back to the middle where there is a bubble catcher, then the return pump section. works perfect and fits through the side entrance of the stand. so when you open the left door, you see the filter sock, and the right door looks at the skimmer. behind the big center board is the pump that is hidden...

i got the molding painted to hide the roller design i made for the slide out tray. and i painted the tray. i painted it cover up paint from my car. looks awesome lol

i started rough piping the sump as well. everything is set, tomorrow i have to glue all the pipes, hang the light fixture, then start the switch! wahooooooooo!!

IMAG0074-1.jpg

IMAG0077-1.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0076-2.jpg

IMAG0081-1.jpg

IMAG0082-2.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ryan, looking good. Couple of things:

1 - Make sure you have enough room to rotate the water change ball valve. It looks like the ball valve should be rotated 90 degrees so that the red handle is facing front. The way it is it looks like the handle will hit the inside of the stand.

2 - Don't glue the vertical pvc going into the filter sock into place. It will be easier to remove the sock if that piece is removable.

Looks great. Can't wait to see water in it......but not as anxious as you I'm sure :)

Kudos and keep up the great work.
Russ

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Looks great...
It was also a good idea going with a seven inch sock. I hated changing 4'' socks every 2-3 days.
Rigged my sump to work with a 7x16'' and love it. I now change that about every 6-7 day. ;)

Yes, I agree about the filter sock. I have a 4 inch on my current tank and replace it every 2 days...can you say "annoying". Jeff made it a 7 inch sock holder, my goal was to hope it takes longer to replace.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Ryan, looking good. Couple of things:

1 - Make sure you have enough room to rotate the water change ball valve. It looks like the ball valve should be rotated 90 degrees so that the red handle is facing front. The way it is it looks like the handle will hit the inside of the stand.

2 - Don't glue the vertical pvc going into the filter sock into place. It will be easier to remove the sock if that piece is removable.

Looks great. Can't wait to see water in it......but not as anxious as you I'm sure :)

Kudos and keep up the great work.
Russ

Hey man, yes I agree and you read my mind. I usually do the ball valves facing forward. It won't turn all the way if left like that. And I also think I'm not going to glue the pipe in that goes into the filter sock. That way I don't need to put a union on the down pipe, and can just pull that pipe out and slide the sump out. And yes, that way the filter sock will come right out as well.

And yes, I can't wait for tomorrow lol.

P.s. That new frag rack is already filled lol

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
uhhh.....DONE AND FILLED! started 9:25am this morning, finished 7:30pm! but done!!!

took all these pics with camera phone. tomorrow ill pull the better camera out...

i did not stack the rock the way i wanted to yet, tomorrow ill be able to see better in the tank to stack how i want to. as of right now, i just threw all the rock into the tank because all the coral and fish were all sitting in buckets for so long...

lights hung...

IMAG0083-1.jpg

Starting To Fill...
IMAG0085-2.jpg

IMAG0084-2.jpg

IMAG0089-1.jpg

IMAG0088-1.jpg

All the coral from the old tank...
IMAG0092-1.jpg

IMAG0086-1.jpg

Got Tired Of Waiting TO Clear Up, So I Started Throwing It All In...
IMAG0091-1.jpg

IMAG0090-1.jpg

IMAG0093-1.jpg

IMAG0095-1.jpg

IMAG0112-1.jpg

IMAG0111-1.jpg

IMAG0106-1.jpg

Not Fully Clear, But Here Are A Few Current And Random Pics...
IMAG0105-1.jpg

IMAG0096-1.jpg

IMAG0109-1.jpg

IMAG0113-1.jpg

IMAG0109-1.jpg

IMAG0102-1.jpg

IMAG0098-1.jpg

IMAG0099-1.jpg

IMAG0097-1.jpg

IMAG0107-1.jpg

IMAG0115-1.jpg

IMAG0094-1.jpg

And Finally Some Clearish Close Ups...
IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0011-1.jpg

IMAG0003-1.jpg

IMAG0006-1.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0012-1.jpg

tomorrow ill upload more when its crystal clear. still cant run the skimmer, it goes CRAZY still. sucks but i dont feel like risking a flood overnight. becides that, all went well. everyone switched over good and corals opened within minutes of adding to tank...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: