TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So apparently the bulb randomly decided to blow on my MH Pendant last night. Just great! The bulb is about 8 months old so it's getting to about half it's useful lifespan if not a little over. But seriously? It couldn't give me a few more months! Now for the tough decision. I am planning on going to an LED system in the next few months but I am not ready just yet, so I will have to borrow one of my buddy's old MH bulbs which isn 175w 14k compared to the 250w 20k that I had in there but I figure it will keep the corals happy enough while I decide if I can move up the build to now or just buy a new bulb for the time being.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
single ended. and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the Koralia powerhead as it wasn't coraline or anything preventing the impeller from spinning. I will just have to order a new one. I had a spare anyways so I just threw that in there for now.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're going to power a 175watt bulb with a 250watt ballast ? Nice...

I was hoping to get away with it but they won't power up. I got a hookup though with a 48" T5 setup. seems to be keeping them mildly happy at the moment. In the mean time I chose not to go the do it yourself route and ordered an AI Sol Blue and the ALC for my reefkeeper. Should be in by wednesday so hopefully the T5 setup will keep the corals happy enough for now.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all the new bulkheads I ordered in yesterday, with the new RO/DI filters and new GFO. Now just got to pickup a few items from Home Depot and hopefully my new LED light from the LFS assuming it comes in today like it should. We will see. Getting very excited and ready for the move.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures from the move.

Here are some pictures from the move.

Attachments

• 2011-07-02_13-11-04_735.jpg
    2011-07-02_13-11-04_735.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2011-07-02_15-01-50_593.jpg
    2011-07-02_15-01-50_593.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 81
  • 2011-07-02_21-39-48_428.jpg
    2011-07-02_21-39-48_428.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2011-07-02_21-40-06_686.jpg
    2011-07-02_21-40-06_686.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2011-07-03_20-00-06_230.jpg
    2011-07-03_20-00-06_230.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 85

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats

Congrats on your upgrade and move. Your able to move faster in your build than I am since I have some major construction in the basement to get ready to support the tank in the dining room and prepare an equipment room in the basement for the rest of the toys besides the display tank. Look forward to as you progress. Since Im focused on getting my design for my sump and filtering, would you mind showing some pics of yours for me to get ideas from? Best wishes on the build.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those heaters on each side of the tank ?
Btw, looks like things went well. Congrats....

Why Yes, yes they are. Not the ideal location I know. That is unfortunately the only place I had to put them as I need to upgrade the sump. That one is too small for the heaters to go in. I am currently trying to determine a new sump design so that I can get those out of there.

Overall things went well. I did have an attempted Gobicide but fortunately he chose to make his move while I was working on the tank so we got the engineer back in there and he seems to be doing well now. I think he was just pissed because I had the rock spread out across the bottom and there was really no place for him to hide.

I am still waiting on my new AI SOL Blue to come in. Manufacturer seems to have some big delay. Can't wait to get that on there instead of the T5 fixture that the LFS was kind enough to let me borrow till the new AI comes in.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your upgrade and move. Your able to move faster in your build than I am since I have some major construction in the basement to get ready to support the tank in the dining room and prepare an equipment room in the basement for the rest of the toys besides the display tank. Look forward to as you progress. Since Im focused on getting my design for my sump and filtering, would you mind showing some pics of yours for me to get ideas from? Best wishes on the build.

Thank You! Once I got the stand done I was able to move pretty quick. I am jealous though as I would love nothing more than to be able to put all the sump and stuff in the in a basement or even a small room behind the tank. I hate that everything is under the tank but I don't own the house so that makes it kind of difficult.

I can't say the current sump / filtration setup is very good but I will show you some pictures, maybe I can get some tonight. I am also working on a new design and would be more than happy to show and discuss my thoughts and ideas there as I am also in the design phase for that still. I don't have time this morning but maybe later or tomorrow I will start throwing some of that up on this thread.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump Pic's

I know these are a little dark but I took them on the run since I keep forgetting to. This is the current sump I am running that was for my old 90 gallon corner tank. I am going to upgrade to a bigger sump that I will have custom built once I determine the setup that I like.

Attachments

• 2011-07-17_17-39-24_481.jpg
    2011-07-17_17-39-24_481.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 2011-07-17_17-39-43_296.jpg
    2011-07-17_17-39-43_296.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my Aqua Illuminations lighting moving. Bought the second one as well so that I will have 2/3 of the tank on LED's now. Last night was the first night running them at 50% white/30% Blue and everything seems to be responding well and happy! Very exciting times! As for what I have left to do:

1) New sump design (need to get those heaters out of the display
2) Get a third AI SOL Blue to finish out the lighting
3) New Skimmer (thinking a reef octopus just not sure which module)
4) Get another pump to setup the closed loop system.
5) More CORAL!!!!!!!!!!!

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pic's of the new LED lighting on 2/3 of the tank with PC's on the last 1/3.

Attachments

• 2011-08-04_23-00-57_902.jpg
    2011-08-04_23-00-57_902.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 2011-08-04_23-01-14_343.jpg
    2011-08-04_23-01-14_343.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 65

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I posted on this but figured I would give everyone an update in case any were still watching. I have been dealing with a major algae outbreak for the past two months. I have been slowly able to get it to start dying off but getting it completely gone seems impossible. Especially since I am in the process of upgrading the filtration. I am sure not having a skimmer running for the last month hasn't helped either.

Items I am getting ready to install.

75 gallon AGA Sump
Reeflo Hammerhead Pump (6000gph!!!!)
Super Reef Octopus 3000 In-Sump Skimmer

Gotta plumb everything up from the basement, Hopefully I can get that done this weekend. I also finished installing the 3 AquaIllumination SOL Blue's which are looking great. Will post some pictures when I get some.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: