usctom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I have 2 calcium reactor setups. Both are feed from my return pump. I plan to upgrade to a peristalic pump soon. They are both controlled by my Apex with only pH probes in the reactor. Both are Geo's. Iv had leaking issues with both but new o-rings and a little lube fixed that.
Setup 1
Geo 818
Carbondoser

Setup 2
Geo 618
Alan lee 2 stage

Both regulators work as they are supposed to. The carbondoser is a little easier to setup.

nvladik

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you are handy, not in a rush, and like hunting on eBay, you can build it yourself. Alan le type of a dual stage regulator with all SS parts would run about $200. And if you are really lucky, you can score a top of the line peristaltic pump for around the same marl. I found a Watson Marlow 520DU for $180 shipped a few years ago - that's a $3,500 pump retail when new.

nvladik

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I believe it's free shipping continental US... for Canadian shipping you may need to contact him and work out the details.

Or you can just find a local distributor.

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You can save a lot of money by looking at used reactors. Calcium reactor is very simple and basic acrylic tube. Make sure to find a reactor with ph probe on top and not anywhere on the piping.
I have a carbon doser. It is on my shelf collecting dust. I can dial in my reactor much easier with adjusting the output of the co2 by the main tank co2 valve. I run dual stage regulator. With Needle valve and solenoid control by apex.
Most important is not to skim out on a good Peristaltic pump. A MUST! I run kamoer. Versa have great reviews but only time will tell how it is in long run. Peristaltic pump will make your life so much easier.Problem you will run into when using manifold or water pump is clogging at the effluent needle valve. You will need to run fast effluent rate to prevent clogging. draw back of high effluent rate is large amount of unused co2 Dump into your display. Lowering your display ph.
Did it right and it is hands off. Do it wrong and you willbe chasing your tail.

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sorry. I adjust my PSI knob. Not the tank main valve. I also do not adjust the needle valve.
If my reactor need PH to go lower. I turn the regular psi know to increase the psi by tiny bit. give it few hours to see where the PH level out. This is my way. I find it easier this way.

My dosing rate is 12ml/min (about 1.5 drops per second) @ 5.3PSI, PH @6.7. Tank ALK@ 8.5

I run low effluent rate to reduce noise and less C02 wasted. Excess unused co2 is wasted with high effluent. Excess co2 also bring display ph down. I only use as much as co2 as i need and none get wasted.
My co2 solenoid never goes off. My reactor PH is pretty much flat line.

Attachments

• 70C5A683-252D-4301-8B9B-3D0B619E4799.jpeg
    70C5A683-252D-4301-8B9B-3D0B619E4799.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for the clarification.

That is a pretty flat graph. So I guess this flat response is because the perfect amount of CO2 is being constantly distributed to match the 12ml/min, thereby producing 6.7pH?
I guess want I'm asking is, on that graph the solenoid never shuts off and Apex only intervenes if the pH gets too low? If so that is how I think I want to tun this thing.

correct. Ph never get down to 6.65 ( solenoid shut off). This is what you want. anything goes on/off 100x a day won’t be good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: