jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Errrr-the attitude I'm sensing from certain posts on this thread are VERY similar to what we used to see from J@C...

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty new to the board, but as a fisherman, whenever I'm going to eat a fish, I give it a swift whack on the head. This crushes their skull into their brain, but unless you know exactly where to hit it, all you're doing is hurting the fish. I think the concept is kind of like the nasal bones into the brain thing for people. I imagine it hurts quite a bit, but brain death is supposed to stop the pain. If you hit the fish right, it will go very stiff and quiver for a minute. However, you might still find its heart pumping and it's other organs still functioning for hours after that (a northern I caught and smacked on the head had a still beating heart over 4 hours later when I cleaned it, and it continued to beat for half an hour after I removed it, maybe we should have northern hearts transplanted into people
icon_wink.gif
). However, don't forget that the fish you keep (unless you're a shark idiot like myself) in your tank are much much smaller than what is caught by fishermen, so your chances of hitting that one spot is pretty damn near impossible. I agree with Leonard, if you want to kill it, just smash its head until it's not recognizable. Throwing it on the concrete will only break a bunch of it's bones and not necessarily kill it. I don't kill my tank fish off though, I let them die and be recycled. Remember, you're trying to mimic nature in your tank, and there's no euthanasia in the ocean (unless you've got a sick fish with worms or parasites, then get it out and smash it, or if it is a toxic fish after death like a foxface, or a puffer).

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No what it comes down to is a "humane" subject that has gotten too far out of hand with people taking comments way past the extreme. This is my whole point. Nothing more.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought on seeing that reply was J@C changed his alias.

Hmm.....Let nature do its thing......

I sincerely hope those advocating it does not own a horse, show pig, dog, or cat......how are they different from your fish?

ReefAnon

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bang on the head. Fastest way. When a fish is that sick it takes only seconds to get it out of the tank.

Many reasons not to flush but the biggest is this: not convinced that the fish would die quickly. Freshwater dips used to be recommended for parasite treatment - immersions times could be up to 45 mins - Joyce Wilkersons book on clownfish relates a story where she left a fish in over 2 hours by mistake. The fish didn't die. Obviously one was supposed to match PH and temp and its unlikely that your toilet qualifies. But even then just too much doubt for me that the fish would die quickly.

Tanked

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAMA or Tropical Fish Hobbyist had an article on this topic by a vet.

Suggested most humane way was to put fish in tank water then the container in the freezer. Water slowly cools and fish becomes progressively more comatose till death. This is very different than putting fish directly to cold water.

I have used this method as well as the quick "off with the head" method.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James, I thought I was the only one seeing the same thing. We could easily be having our leg pulled here.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: