beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't care if someone is selling a high end chalice for $600. A few years ago it was Acans, and before that it was Duncans, and before that it was Tubs Blues and Triple Reds Zoas.

What I have a BIG problem with is people selling starter corals at insane prices.

When I first started this hobby, I posted that I was looking to start buying frags, and people told me to come over and gave me frags. They weren't high end frags, but they were good starter corals. It sickens me seeing yellow polyps, GSP, anthelia, brown palys, and plain shrooms being sold for LFS prices.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The more people who sell at high prices the more the next person will sell at high prices.If we keep going like this not many new people will be able to afford this hobby.
This hobby is just like a drug I know!!! The more crystals on buds the more it cost. The more it smells the more it cost,LOL

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
we tell noobs about watching out for LFS PRICES. we even have threads about certain LFS.maybe when we see a noob asking to purchase at a ridiculous price here we should PM them and tell them.especially when they need to drive 45 min to pick it up

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Some very good points here.
I almost always give freebies to people....maybe it is a nice mini colony or a tiny frag...just something extra to say "hey, we are all in the same hobby, lets help each other out".

I have purchased two "high end" zoas....2 polyps of rastas & 1 polyp of purple hornets....when they grow to the point that I can frag them, I will sell polyps for about half of what I paid, just to recoup my initial cost, and then I will let them grow in my system for good.

I am not in this hobby to make money....and anyone who has sseen my setup can attest to that...but I just cant sell something for less than I paid for it(mentally, the losing of money and having nothing to show for it really bothers me....but I am a commodities trader, so maybe that has something to do with it), but I can break even on a piece.....this is unless I really overpaid for a coral, that is a different story.

and, this was my 2,000 post!

Now, back to the beauty aspect of this thread,
and that the market price is based solely on the color of these creatures. Really, is any zoa more valuable than another?
All I can say to that is that our society, nay almost all current societies have looks/attractiveness play an important role......heck, it is even in our genes to desire a mate who is attractive, and or physically able to protect us....to ensure our children survive and will be able to find a quality mate.

So, yes, I think the way a coral "looks" is very important....not worth the price often, but still very important.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
well I try to give away free frags and i do alot of the time some one buys something from me I thrwo in stuff for free like one time I gave some one cal and alk for free in the bottles. I was not using it and they needed it so hence for free. If I deal with some one alot I dont charge them alot for coral, I know some person that charges the same person they deal with the same price as the next guy, which is annoying because you buy alot of stuff from ppl and then they go ahead and just say o well it is a expensive coral so oops sorry you bought amny times before let me just charge you the price.

I want to help out alot of ppl on this site. Just the prices are hard to deal with. BUt I will state this again when I buy a purple horent I am going to sell the off spring for 25 a head. Help others as you want them to help you

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well when people sell rastas or blue hornets or whatever the cool name for them are for 50 dollars a polyp they should give freebies.some of these prices you can put a down payment for a leased car and i can pick whatever color i want and it will drive me to pick up cheap frags :)

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
it seems that some corals are def. worthspending the money on but man i hate when i spent 50/60 bucks on a "nice size" and it looks awsome in the pictures but whn u get it its a quarter sized frag!! man u feel so jipped, and if you were to build a tank like that youd never get anywhere and the tank will always look empty...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: