• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
YES SIR!!!!! This is why I deal with the same people over & over. I think the NJ reefer ass. closing its marketplace has something to do with it. A little bird says.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Some prices are high, some are low, some are just right.

I just put up a for sale thread...and my prices may be high....with that said,

If you buy a coral in a store, you pay alot for it. When/if you decide to sell it, should you lose money b/c you bought it in a store? If I pay $60 for a chalice frag, then grow it for 6-12 months, should I sell it for less than I paid for it?

It is very difficult to say what is high, or what is low......I think the prices I list are always much less than a store would have(I have no overhead), but I still hear people asking for lower prices.......I once had someone say, lets talk more freebies, after I had already given two freebies to the person.

If the price is to high, it wont sell....simple as that....also, I am not targeting anyone with this comment, but MR is cheap

Just my two cents

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
*Response in general*
You can look at it as losing $$ or you can look at it as paying it forward. Since I have been a member here I have hooked up a bunch of guys by giving away corals or selling very cheap only to be rewarded in the future, not to mention make new friends. If you are into counting dollars and cents you are in the wrong hobby as most of us already know.
Besides people flaking, sellers asking high prices give me a $hitty opinion of their character.

Last edited:

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
*Response in general*
You can look at it as losing $$ or you can look at it as paying it forward. Since I have been a member here I have hooked up a bunch of guys by giving away corals or selling very cheap only to be rewarded in the future, not to mention make new friends. If you are into counting dollars and cents you are in the hobby as most of us already know.
Besides people flaking, sellers asking high prices give me a $hitty opinion of their character.

+1

I agree 100%

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Without naming any sources, there is a huge price discrepancy from those that tranship corals and those that buy wholesale from in-housed systems. The same coral that can be acquired transhipped at a great price, you can find it from an in-house wholesaler at nearly triple or more of the transhipped price. I think thats why you see things like Ultra Acans sometimes going for $40 for a nice 10-15 head piece or you see $40 for 2 heads. For many retailers, it all depends on where the product is supplied from.

Unfortunately, you don't always know the quality of product you get from transhipping. Sometimes you get lucky and receive really nice pieces or sometimes you are forced to cherry pick from in-house Wholesalers and pay a ridiculous upcharge.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You also have the option of not buying the high priced corals.if you like what you see then price is no obstacle or you can wait untill prices go down as they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
You also have the option of not buying the high priced corals.if you like what you see then price is no obstacle or you can wait untill prices go down as they always do.
+1 not that i always agree with price gouging, but then again if i cant afford it i dont buy it or complain about it. people want the best and brightest corals but dont want to pay. im more set back by a store that gets a $35 sps colony and frags it into 10 or more piece's then wants 35+ per frag, or that zoa colony that was 20-50 with 20-50 frags made out of it at 35+ a frag .and i do understand running a business and cost of overhead,

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I have a bunch of low priced zoas and lps on my sale thread. Many others do as well, and I will picking up SPS at prices waaaaaaaaaaay lower than what I have seen before. I guess it is just a matter of how you choose to spend your money. I have actually seen the opposite of what you are describing. much lower prices than in the past, even for the high-priced "Mummy Bubblegum Twilight Lord of the Rings" type stuff, which I NEVER buy but always look at...
Oh and one other thing...as nice as chalices look in pictures, I cannot find any way to justify, to myself, my wife, or our cats, spending a lot of money on a frag the size of my pinky nail, but that's just me...if you can afford to buy expensive things, go right ahead!!!

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
in general though even dry goods arer selling high as well.when i first got in the hobby i bought a 110 with stand MH lights sump and plumbing for 200 dollars.i stocked it with corals bought from here a stocked 110 for i sh#$ u not 150.this included mushrroms sps colonies,lps and many softies.i also got 150 lbs of rock for 200.whenever i sell something to someone i try to find something to give away with what im selling.sometimes i have extras sometimes i dont.but come on really 1 head of zoas for 25 a head give me a break.i have ran into a couple people here who has sold me corals for cheap and threw in extras.but thats far and few between.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not saying it in a smart azz way, but would you work for what you did a few years ago ? excluding livestock, drygoods go up in price eventually, as pay goes up so does pricing or your making less while others are making more

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I have had good Exp. on MR. I agree the prices lately have been high. I just dont buy those peices.
Most pepole who I have bought from have given me great deals. I think I have always done the same in return.
I bought from Duke when I just started & he gave me a great deal. i sold the rock I purchased from him for the same great deal.
You get to know the "pay it forward peolple" after a while. There are alot of them here.
just don't take advantage. We will figure you out.

Last edited:

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I agree with, duke. But yes but charddam is correct about his prices some thing are insane prices like we all know the zoas and the prices that they are hornets and so on and so forth. But if you look around you can find a deal or 2. A good firend of mine told me that if you realy like the coral and you know you will like it in months down the line do you want to pay for the up price now or do you want to wait till the price goes down and then pick it up. All the hype about coral and blah blah blah. I love to trade trade zoas for zoas, sps and so on. Also help a fellow reefer out and they can pay you in coral. Like move a tank, or fix things for them. It is a community. The dealers have to make money to bring us nicer stuff. I rember when duncans were crazy prices and I know in due time we will say wow I rember when scullies were over priced cause of the color of them. It is the way the reefing tide goes and comes in. It is just a name, does a name define what we have in our tanks or make our tanks "rarer" then others. If you like to buy coral that is rare then go ahead, and I know ppl are going to read this and say oo see he cant afford it or so on, but you know what I have bill and reality if I was in my parrent's house or not having a wedding I would have the insane coral you guys have. But I do love to see the nice colors of the rare coral's you have in your tank. We are all working ppl what we do with out money we have to be smart about. Why buy a zoa at insane cost and have a 50% chance of it melting.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
ok for nthe people that dont agree with me i saw a zoa rock in a lfs had green polyps and around 70+ heads on it.i bought it for 40 dollars.i saw the same exact zoa with 20 heads on it selling here for 30 dollars.now given a lfs has a huge overhead with there lights pumps hired hands and rent why should someone here sell it for almost double that i bought it for.when in hinesight it should be sold for 5 bucks.i bought my wrasse for 60 at a lfs last year.it was the size of a small goldfish.i tried to sell ikt for 50 in the beginning but i am now selling it to someone after i catch the quick bas#$# for 35.i dont look at it as i kept him and raised him i should profit on me taking care of it.i look at it as i enjoyed him for 1 year now i will give it to someone who deserves this fish who will enjoy him as much as i had.when my acan colonies grow i will not sell them for what i paid most likely if they do flourish and survive they will be sold at a minimal charge.so hit me uyp next year :)

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i agree with duke some poeple price r just a little crazy even tho between con ed /dry goods/chemicals /plugs and glue some times u dont have a choice but tack on a little but come on some poeple are just a little above the bar like anyone that charge more than 50 bucks a polys for a zoas that just my op

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Do I want that AWESOME red purple and blue scoly? Or the neon pink and green brain? Or some of the incredibly colored chalices that i have seen as big as my two fists put together? OF COURSE I love these creatures and would want them. But I can't lose track of the idea that all of these animals live in the ocean, and are abundant, and that the market price is based solely on the color of these creatures. Really, is any zoa more valuable than another? Or do we just feed the frenzy by putting one colorful polyp on a plug and sell it for $40??? People can do whatever they want, but for me, I want to keep this as a hobby- if it becomes a business, it loses it's flavor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: