jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
4 ATI blue +
1 KZ purple
1 coral plus

And I switch out the coral + with a GE6500k once in a while.

I run the fullspectrum 24" led strip on the side which is on the white spectrum so the coral + helps keep this a little blue.

I never tried a coral plus bulb. Whats the spectrum/appearance difference between the coral plus and the ge65k?

The tank appears to be on auto-pilot right now Sit back and enjoy!:eek:rangehat

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I never tried a coral plus bulb. Whats the spectrum/appearance difference between the coral plus and the ge65k?

The tank appears to be on auto-pilot right now Sit back and enjoy!:eek:rangehat

The GE6500k is very yellow, i loved it and i would still be running it if i didn't add the Led strip. The led strip is very White in appearance and using the coral+ helps keep a tint of blue visually.

I would say the coral+ looks like a blue/kz purple hybrid daylight.

Tanks colors/growth are spot on,very enjoyable. I actually thinking about kicking the GFO/CARBON and going for biopellets in the near future. I really don't like changing my GFO. It just pisses me off.

Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Tanks colors/growth are spot on,very enjoyable. I actually thinking about kicking the GFO/CARBON and going for biopellets in the near future. I really don't like changing my GFO. It just pisses me off.

Buddy, If your tank is doing so good don't change it

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I agree with your comment, but I have been taking into consideration that with the new additions, heavier feedings, growth, and my tanks maturity in general that the tanks consumption will change.

I'm still trying to get a grip on how much and often I should be feeding to keep my nitrate and phosphate in check.

I'm actively monitoring the tanks phosphates mainly but really despise GFO, I just don't like what it does and I always see negative effects for up to a week or so once changed, even at a 1/2 or so of the recommended dosage.

I guess any additive is going to yield some possible negative results.

I'm going to keep reading, everything's a learning experience for me. I just do like some of the results i have seen with biopellets and after reading how they work I am intrigued.

Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I see, Well good luck with it.
I agree with your comment, but I have been taking into consideration that with the new additions, heavier feedings, growth, and my tanks maturity in general that the tanks consumption will change.

I'm still trying to get a grip on how much and often I should be feeding to keep my nitrate and phosphate in check.

I'm actively monitoring the tanks phosphates mainly but really despise GFO, I just don't like what it does and I always see negative effects for up to a week or so once changed, even at a 1/2 or so of the recommended dosage.

I guess any additive is going to yield some possible negative results.

I'm going to keep reading, everything's a learning experience for me. I just do like some of the results i have seen with biopellets and after reading how they work I am intrigued.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Gorgeous tank Jonny!

So when's the upgrade?;) Tank looked packed from the start.lol

Thanks!

Yea somehow my old system packed this out lol.

I'm thinking about joining the 100+ gallon crew, I have loved nanos for around 7 years and think its about time. I have been getting more and more intrigued by fish species. I started looking for an elos 120xl for the new place [when i move] ! crossing my fingers

c griseum

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Really great colors, the corals look amazing and the light configuration just adds to it! Congrats!
Before upgrading, are you going to just do a "Bonsai" approach, fragging the colonies that grow from your frags and keeping them "mini" or are you letting them grow like weeds and then transfer them to the 120xl?
Ive been intrigued about the idea of keeping a small nano, with a bonsai approach if it makes any sense, not just regular fragging.
Again, amazing tank, picture perfect!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Really great colors, the corals look amazing and the light configuration just adds to it! Congrats!
Before upgrading, are you going to just do a "Bonsai" approach, fragging the colonies that grow from your frags and keeping them "mini" or are you letting them grow like weeds and then transfer them to the 120xl?
Ive been intrigued about the idea of keeping a small nano, with a bonsai approach if it makes any sense, not just regular fragging.
Again, amazing tank, picture perfect!

Thanks!

Well, The upgrade will only happen if i can find a nice used elos 120 or 120xl. I figured if i could find one, set it up and then do a transfer with my livestock that it would be much easier then trying to do it all in one shot + the benefits of additional water volume.

I approached this tank with bonsai in mind with monthly trimmings to keep coral colonies small, this will allow me to keep a lot more different corals. The problem with bonsai is lack of caves and homes for the fish. With larger tanks you can create caves and homes much easier behind the bonsai scape. Im slowly cleaning this tank up and only keeping what i truly want.

Some corals i am going to allow to grow out of control in the rear of corals. Which should help give a nice pop and homes for the fish. Unfortunately im constantly shifting things to see what looks best next to each other to give the most pop so its always a learning experience, and now with the move ill be creating additional aggravation.

Sps tanks are hard, and small sps nano tanks are even harder. They require a ton of automation. Some will disagree, but i have been doing nanos for 6-7 years and with automation and active testing i see a lot less problems [for now!]

I'm proud of how this tank stands.

c griseum

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thats a great idea, of having larger colonies in the background with smaller colonies as you come towards the front.
And i definitely agree about nano SPS tanks. I have a mixed nano reef with 1/3 of it being SPS and its been a struggle to maintain. The hardest part is water changing. The SPS reacts no matter how Spot On your new SW parameters are. And Im talking a 3 gallon change on a 29 gallon tank.
All of that stress takes a toll.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Exactly, that's why on my tank totaling around 70. I do 5 gallon weekly and break them up into 2 changes.

Once the tank is mature and corals encrust they become much more resilient in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Photo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1357430980.010670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1357430980.010670.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 337

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
nice nice tank J looking good there. i see soon u will need a upgrade the way u going it will b tight in there lol keep up the good work

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: