NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Watts are watts for purposes of cost, quality of light is another issue. T5's are a great choice for an LPS tank. Less heat the MH and better spectrum then PC.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
basiab.You can use HO fluorescent bulbs for LPS.I use 96 and 65 watt PC's you can see the results in my album.It depends on the arrangement of the bulbs.I'v seen Montipora growing out the water with the use of 96 watt PC's.PC's now come in 130 watts. See a T5 and PC setup and make your own decision.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 29 gallon nano with 130 watts of 50/50 pc lighting. No skimmer. i grow frogspawn, calustrea, monitpora (caps and digitata), acropora, zoas, shrooms, yellow porites and others.

The difference between the pc and t5s is that the t5 bulbs are smaller so each can have an individual reflector which results in more light hitting the tank. If the t5 light doesn't have good reflectors than you lose most of the benefits. T5ho lighting is nice because you have a much broader range of bulbs/kelvin temps to choose from and, if you have a good unit, more efficient lighting with less heat.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Not all T5's are created equal. It depends on how they're being driven, reflectors, cooling which will all impact performance.
If you stick with the same brand/model, you can probably have similar comparisons.

Its like comparing a 4cyl engine to a V6, or even V6 to V6. Brand will change a lot of the performance because they're built differently.

dragonblood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Light,water pump for 70 gal new set-up(need advice from pro)

I have new set-up around 70 gal tank...40(l) x 26(w) x 18(h)..
with 30 reg gal tank..I'll keep 50% sps + 50% mix acan,zoa,lps and my questions:
1.I'm planning have at 36 inch(t5) but i don't know how many t5 light/dayligh/watt do i'm need plus how many actinic light
2.If i'm planning to have mh,how many watt/light do i have to get
3.I have 300 gph overflow box and how much gph from water pump do i need to buy(maybe mag 5)
3.How long do i need the turn on the daylight before i'm turn on actinic light....

Nb: I'll put all my sps on the top and rest from middle to bottom(I heard that mh light they will use more killer watt than t5 in the same useness to make sps in thrill...thanks for your advice....)

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
There is a lot of consideration upon MH,T5,PC.
MH creates too much heat+electric, if your tank is not too deep (75 gal+), and the tank does not include sps, you don't really need it, but this light difinity makes corals grow, if the corals are placed in the proper place.
PC, bulbs are strong, actinic looks great, but you have to change the bulbs frequents(6-12 month)depending on usage + brand, these bulbs are not cheap.
T5 Personally, if you are only keeping LPS, and your tank is not too deep, this is probably the best way to go, energy efficent, not too much heat, bulbs last a very long time, and if you do have a desire for a few sps, just put the in the center, top of the tank, it'll work fine.
hope this helps you out!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: