MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The restart project is already started.

Going to do a 3" sand bed in the display and also run a RDSB. When i removed my rock wall there was SO much detrits just sitting behind the wall it wasnt funny. I am now sure that foam rock walls are just n03/po4 factories. I wont be setting one up again.

thanks for the kind words

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0

Going to do a 3" sand bed in the display and also run a RDSB. When i removed my rock wall there was SO much detrits just sitting behind the wall it wasnt funny. I am now sure that foam rock walls are just n03/po4 factories. I wont be setting one up again.

when putting a foam rock wall you should silicone it properly so that no detrius gets back there.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Sorry this happened to you Matt but I'm glad to see you restarting it all. Learn from your mistakes, we all make them in this hobby.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0

woohoo to the restart. now that you get rid of the rock wall, your parameters sholud be much better. post things you need, i'm sure many here will help you out. like i said before i got frags to spare your way. lmk when you're ready.
tom

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
if you do use a buddy's "used" sand, I am pretty sure you'll have to rinse it out a lot before you seed your tank with it, as it can also be a detritus sink. Let others chime in on this, though.

I'm glad you're sticking with the hobby -when we bounce back from a crash, we come back smarter and ready to do it better!

And you've got LOTS of offers for frags! I've got some fast-growing Acros I'll be happy to share, too! pm me when you're ready for them!

-daisy

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Super sorry to see this..

Did you do it over night while the lights were off? It is possible that the dying bacteria used up all the Dissolved Oxygen and your animals technically suffocated.

Once again, it is sad day and I have been there before, I know your pain and frustration. Don't lose the faith!

briangg57

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry that you had a crash but I'm glad you're not a quitter. I've been lucky to have been in the hobby for 5 years with only relatively minor setbacks. I did use red slime remover when my tank was pretty new and I didn't have too much in there to lose. I wouldn't even consider using it now that my tank is chuck filled with stuff. About 2 years ago, I had a problem with red slime and I got advice from others and it worked just fine. I just sucked out what I could with a turkey baster and then used the baster to blow the rest away and de-colonize it. Then did a couple weekly water changes and problem solved. Now the only time I get it is when my corals grow into one another and I quickly trim it back slightly and blow it away. It has never been a problem since.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The RDSB is installed and the tank is cycling. Due to an RODI issue, the sump, RDSB, and tank are not fully full.

xl_1252874172_c29ca6e98d7237fb86a971fe56b0197b.jpg

xl_1252874164_d230b580259f7a93ae3120123ff482d7.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: