Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Sorry dude :sad2:. There must have been sometime of chemical reaction. I agree with the others and haven't had an issues with using Red Slime Remover. Everyone experiences some type of fall out or crash with this hobby. Best thing to do is get back in the game and start over. Good luck!

morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
Sorry for your loss. This stuff is so powerful, you have to have extra aeration when using it. It can suck up all your oxygen really fast. Did you check your ORP?

Hang in there and come back bigger and better in the future.

daaznmofo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
hey matt.
just read what happened. sorry to hear about your tank. hopefully you're not out of the hobby. maybe just take a breather and see how you feel in a bit.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Holy crap Matt, that is absolutely horrible. I am so sorry for your loss man.

Some of the corals still look like they can make it. Can you take them out and put it in another tank?

Sueing won't do anything except making his wallet ligther FYI.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Matt, I am so sorry you had to go through this!;(

I also went through a couple of crashes with my tanks, and really wanted to throw in the towel. As a matter of fact my FOWLR just went through another mini crash, I lost a bunch of fish including my beautiful Old Purple Tang which had been deed to me by my best friend when she passed away a couple of years ago.
But I can honestly say I don't believe I can live without a little piece of the ocean in my home. Please reconsider, as some one already stated it looks like some of the corals are hanging in.

And I also have used "Red Slime Remover" with no ill effects. As a matter of fact the last time I used it was like a year an half ago on my fowlr that had been plagued with red slime from day one. It got rid of the red slime once and for all. I do have to say I have never used it in my reef though!

Again I am really sorry for your loss, and sincerely hope you hang in.....

seascape

Acan Crazy
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
again sorry to hear about your loss, I was having troubles sleeping last night,i was the one that used red slime remover myself just before reading ths thread i was up and down all night checking my tank,so far my 180 is doing fine knock on wood,In this hobby its a risk whenever you add something unnatural to the tank.and as some people have said by the looks of the pics to me also looks like some of the corals are hanging on.Best of luck and hope that you dont quit the hobby when you see or hear of people quiting like this its like loosing family.RJ

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. There isn't a reefer here who's been in the hobby for any length of time who hasn't experienced a tank crash. I went through one last year after I moved. It's a horrible helpless feeling to watch everything in your tank die faster than you can respond. This is an awesome community and you'll find lots of support here to help you get back into the reefing game. I've never met a more generous bunch of people.

Like others, I've used Red Slime Remover without problems, but I have heard that as the slime dies it can impact the pH and oxygen levels in the tank. Marine Depot has some really good info about this on its product description page:

UltraLife Red Slime Remover is a revolutionary time tested product, that will effectively and safely remove Red Slime quickly from all Coral and Invertebrates. UltraLife RSR contains natural cellular matter, select biological accelerators and special supplements proven effective in removing Red Slime from Corals and Inverebrates and is Safe for reef tanks, corals, invertebrates, desirable macro-algae, nitrifying bacteria and fish.

UltraLife RSR will accelerate the solubilization and biological digestion of organic solids. In the process, the oxygen uptake rate in your aquarium will increase as a result of this increased biological activity. It is very important that your aquarium is able to support this increased oxygen demand along with your aquatic life`s need for oxygen. Therefore we recommend increasing your O2 levels by the addition of airstones prior to and during treatment.

For best results, DO NOT turn off UV Sterilizer or Ozonizer. Continuation of Protein Skimming is recommended but may require adjustment.

Due to Increased biological digestion of organic solids we recommend increasing your O2 levels by the addition of airstones prior to and during treatment.

No need for Water changes or Removal of Carbon Filtration.
Safe for reef tanks, corals, invertebrates, desirable macro-algae, nitrifying bacteria and fish.
Treats up to 300 Gallons (1135 L) Net wt. .71 oz (20 grams)
Contains NO ALGAECIDES OR ERYTHROMYCIN SUCCINATE
KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
FOR AQUARIUM USE ONLY

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up about it. The delicate balance of nature is exquisite and no one does it better than Mother Nature. It never ceases to amaze me that despite the fact we used the ocean as a sewer and strip it of its resources, it still manages to hold on. How much more it can take I don't know. My hope is that the multi-million year evolutionary head start it has over humans will serve it well and it will be here long after we humans are gone.

Last edited:

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Hey man Sorry to hear this. It's never easy. I too experienced a mini crash when I came back from vacation and was ready to throw the towel in. My MR friends were there for me and kept me from leaving. They also gave me a few starter frags which helped.
Although I'm going away again this year I'm not as worried as I have taken measures to assure it wont happen again. I can only hope.
Hang in there.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Matt - so sorry to see this.

I sure hope we aren't seeing you on here right now because you are hopefully doing something to save what is left of the tank. As someone else on here mentioned - there are quite a few pieces in there that look like they can very well be saved!

If you need a bunch of water (and can't make it fast enough), I'm sure many here will offer some up. Also good idea to give WWoF a call, they have many tanks with nothing left in them and I'm sure he can spare some water.

As for the 'why' part of what may have happened...

As Robin quoted in her post (and for anyone else who wants to use Red Slime Remover in the future) - it is CRITICALLY important that you Oxygenate the tank thoroughly before & during use of the product. IMO that means - start DAYS before by adding an airpump & airstone.

Another thing that MUST be taken into consideration is water volume - not the size of the tank. I see you have a 90g tank - but with all of that rock in there you do not have 90 g of water (unless you are running an extremely large sump).
While I hate to say it, you may have overdosed the tank as you used a dosage for 90g of water :(

If there is anything I can do to help - please contact me, I will PM my phone #.

bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
I just read this and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I recently have been battling red slime on my sandbed myself and I personally did NOT use the Ultra Red Slime Remover. I tried a different approach. A coworker recommended me to scoop up the top layer of my affect red slime sandbed and replace it with live sand from another reefer. Thanks to NYAUX for the live sand. I poured the live sand all over the front of my sandbed and it's been 2 days and I do not see any red slime. I would seriously recommend this method to my fellow reefers instead of adding chemicals into a reef tank.

Matt - If you ever decide to start over, let me know if you need any frags or LR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: