JRWOHLER

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Funny thing is that anyone who has found their way to this site and this thread cannot blame a LFS. Think that is the problem we are missing.
I am pretty new to salt water fish, compared to fresh water fish and always enjoyed reading but when I started out with SW I didn't really know all these internet boards existed. So I did what most beginners do starting out they go to their LFS.

OK so in a 10 G tank I had a bi color pseudocromis, hawkfish, and a firefish. Oh and a chocolate chip starfish. Amazingly 5 years later I still have the pseodocromis...which in a 120G tank is a lot more personable then in the 10 or even 24G tank that was in between. The pseudocromis managed to kill a few tankmates and should not be recommended IMHO.
Was it my fault yes but not 100%. Now if I go to buy anything I research for hours and hours but then I had no idea. This thread is good in it's intent.

My contribution is to second the pseudocromis as a fish that should be purchased with a warning.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think this was a good thread to have been started, as it will put out what corals/fishs/inverts that people really shouldn't keep.

The problem is if you go on the premise that if you supply the correct environment, tank, lighting, food and water conditions, you can keep anything. Now this maybe true but most of the time this can't be done or isn't practical to do, not only for the hobbyist but for big public aquarium too. Even if in some case you can get something to live the life span is usually very short, which can range anywhere from a couple a month to a year or so. Comparing this to a normal live span, of anywhere from 10 - 30 years, keeping something for a year or two isn't really successful when it lives 10 times longer in the wild. And yes there have been leaps and bounds over the years in the hobby but certain things still don't do well and probably never will.

I think it's very good to list things that really shouldn't be kept and focus on the things that do well instead. In the end there are plenty of corals/fish/inverts, that are are just as pretty, and do very well in our tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: